Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS 3.1.3, 05.12.01?

Shitty deal! Sorry to hear that ceevee. It was so easy for me that I would recommend trying again after a restore. Move Spirit to your C drive and try it from there. I think I read that in the instructions.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the first time I tried, Norton Antivirus killed the process. I had to delete Spirit since Norton removed some of the files, download it a second time, and then I disabled Norton before I used the jailbreak tool. Might be worth disabling your antivirus software before you try it again.

YMMV. :idunno:

That’s sucks, ceevee. Hope you get it sorted.

I just did my 3G and it took all of 1.5 seconds I reckon. I was WOWed.

Sorry to hear that ceeve. I did it to both my iPhone and iPad right before running out this morning. Took a few seconds ewch. Def run it in Win 95 compat mode as Robin said.

[color=#FF0000]WARNING!!![/color]

I’m starting to have a feeling this is a fake jailbreak.

1-I am unable to purchase applications from Cydia.

2-I tried using Diskaid and iphone browser to SSH my iphone in order to change ringtones. Both programs give me error messages telling me “sorry, but you need to jailbreak your device in order to access root folders.”

It’s not working and none of the software normally used on jailbroken iphones work. They do not recognize the device as being jailbroken. In other words, it’s a useless jailbreak that doesn’t let you do anything that a jailed phone can’t do. For me anyways.

I will try again tomorrow, but if things work out as they did for me this evening, I will just restore the phone and wait for a more trustworthy jailbreak solution. I just hope I did not infect my iphone with unrepairable malware/viruses, etc.

Not a happy camper over here after all. I’m also worried that my credit card info will be used against my will after I unsuccessfully tried to buy applications from Cydia/fake Cydia, or whatever the case might be.

Don’t you think it’s strange for Cydia to be installed within 2 seconds when you use the Spirit jailbreak? I’m very suspicious at the moment.

Rob

Hopefully your fears are not realized. Haven’t checked, but I heard this came from a guy who is one of the “dev team” members.

Fwiw I have the mywi trial working on this from this jb as well as winterboard, backgrounder, etc.

False alarm. Sorry. After some research, I found out that I had to go to Cydia and install something called Afc2add. Do a search on Cydia and it comes up right away. Install and problem solved. Now I can access root files. I just installed new ringtones just now. Finally! And I bet I can also install purchased apps from Cydia, too, now that this is fixed. I will try tomorrow, but for now I am SO off to bed…

Rob

[quote=“amos”]That’s sucks, ceevee. Hope you get it sorted.
I just did my 3G and it took all of 1.5 seconds I reckon. I was WOWed.[/quote]

No pain, no gain. Hacking would not be fun if things always go right @ the first time no? :smiley:
I restored mine and will give it another try this evening.

Though, I was so excited reading the “few seconds” it took, but that seems different from one device to another.
Googled this morning ans some users do report a post hack boot sequence between 5 to 20 minutues.

Question: When Spirit has finished, did it opened iTunes and tried to back-up the phone? There is where I think things went wrong on my side. As the “back-up” did not show any progress for 5 minutes, I unplugged the device and all what i had was that Apple boot logo…

I know it’s worth jailbreaking the 3GS for the mywi app - is there some benefit to jailbreaking the iPad?

ceevee, my process was;

1. plug iphone into computer.
  2. sync iphone just for the hell of it.
  3. in itunes, update iphone to latest software (took me about 5-10 minutes).
  4. it then reboots your iphone (I didn’t sync again).
  5. ‘quit’ itunes.
  6. run ‘spirit’.
  7. itunes detects iphone.
  8. sync iphone.

thanks Amos, thus did you noticed how much time did it took between hacking with Spirit, going thru the hack and then rebooting again?
it seems that this can be from a few seconds till 20 minutes which I try to understand why.
Is yours a 3G or 3GS?

Anyway, I’ll clean first my PC from other JB stuff I was using as those might have left some bad stuff behind or so :ponder:

On the latter, funny to read how the two camps (GeoHot vs. Devteam supporters) acuse eachother’s guru’s of having spyware in their solutions etc.
Seems a lot of NB’s still confuse JB with Unlock methods

That reboot step probably too a minute, ceevee. Like a normal rebooting time (nothing more, nothing less). Mine is a 3G, not 3GS.

I know it’s worth jailbreaking the 3GS for the mywi app - is there some benefit to jailbreaking the iPad?[/quote]

app switcher and backgrounder is speeding up my workflow but it’s buggy right now. i would wait if you like the ipad as it is.

on mobile, i like the whitelist way of backgrounding (ie: you can put app into the multi-task list with a gesture, otherwise it exits on hitting the home button) rather than the android/desktop method of running everything at once. apple’s 4.0 mini-multi-tasking is basically apple adding an “automatic transmission” to this way.

the ipad is fast enough that running everything at once probably won’t be noticeable until there are lots of apps running, but as i mentioned before, even before this jb, i wasn’t missing multi-tasking too much and the battery life is such a killer app on this thing that anything that compromises that should be done carefully. which is why i like the whitelist way of backgrounding better.

installing iTunes 9.1.1 helped and the proces took indeed less than 1 minute now. :thumbsup:
As reported by many, the pictures in the Camera Roll folder were lost, but no big deal for me. I might give a restore a try, but I have too much to do on Cydia :laughing:

installing iTunes 9.1.1 helped and the proces took indeed less than 1 minute now. :thumbsup:
As reported by many, the pictures in the Camera Roll folder were lost, but no big deal for me. I might give a restore a try, but I have too much to do on Cydia :laughing:[/quote]

I was messing around with root files yesterday and I thought that was the reason I lost 150 photos. I really wish I had known about this before… But what the hack. :wink: None of them were overly precious.

Still trying to buy mobilelog from eselerator in Cydia but it won’t let me. I get a message saying “We can not process your purchase at this time. Try again later or contact blablabla.” That’s after my credit card is processed and accepted. I’ll try again in a bit. I’m not sure why it’s doing that. I’m enjoying louder sms and calls ringtones so far but I haven’t had any time to install anything else yet.

Good to hear you got it worked out, ceevee. Welcome aboard! :slight_smile:

Nothing working well for me except winterboard. MyWi just keeps crashing and freezing my phone and I stll can’t get mobilelog. I will update, sync and do a restore this evening. Then I’ll try again. Fun fun… I really need that MyWi app to work.

I thought i had seen some early solutions for MyWi post Spirit hack (like a uninstall / reinstall or so?). Not sure though as i don’t use it.
can’t notice any decrease / unstability of performance.

What I was extremely happy with is that Rock allowed me to transfer my licences from my old JB’d 3G to my 3GS.
Was even not aware I had the top app’s still on that cloud :thumbsup:

Multifl0w is a neat multi-tasking way-around. Downloading youtubes with My3G support while switching to other stuff. Why we need 4.0 anyway again?
Yep, freedom at last !

I get an issue from time to time where it asks me to join other wifi networks while mywi is running but otherwise it works. Being able to do this on one data plan is awesome. I even shared the WEP Password with a few peeps today (the room ran out of wifi addresses) to let them use it too any it worked well.

Breaking news :smiley:

COMEX:

Guess we were a bit too hasty, but hey, better a trendsetter then an early adopter :wink:

Recovering lost pictures: gadgetsdna.com/how-to-recove … dows/2841/

Though it does costs 25 dollar, I have all my iPhone pics and clips back. Memories are priceless.

I get an issue from time to time where it asks me to join other wifi networks while mywi is running but otherwise it works. Being able to do this on one data plan is awesome. I even shared the WEP Password with a few peeps today (the room ran out of wifi addresses) to let them use it too any it worked well.[/quote]

Well, what you have here is a frustrated hacker. I restored the phone today. Ran the jailbreak again and no problem there. Easily found MyWi in Cydia and installed it. Nothing showing on the springboard. It shows as installed in “Packages” but it’s nowhere to be found elsewhere. It’s like a ghost app that is installed but invisible and unusable. So I re-installed it. No changes. Then I uninstalled it and now it’s not even showing up in Cydia search. It has disappeared!

I’m not giving up! I’m restoring for the second time today right now and I’ll try again. So far the only thing that has worked for me is Winterboard. Anything else I tried to install failed over and over again. To echo what ceevee said, it just wouldn’t be as much “fun” otherwise… NOT! :laughing:

What was recently a frustrated hacker is now a happy camper who feels like he is George Hotz himself! :laughing: Thanks to our very own amos for some precious help, I am now posting this with my notebook while testing the 3g connection on my iphone with MyWi. :slight_smile: Finally something is working!