🇯🇵 Japan | Airplane Collision at New Chitose Airport, Hokkaido

Cathay Pacific and Korean Air areoplanes

My Japanese is rusty, but I can understand no fire and no one injured

けがをした人もいない

While tragedy was avoided this time, it was less than two weeks ago that another passenger plane collided with that coast guard plane. I know it was a different airport, but what is going on with air traffic control in Japan?

2 Likes

Overworked and understaffed?

1 Like

Could be Korean airline going all shit on training again. Used to be lots of organizational problems in various korean airlines that led to issues. But who knows.

1 Like

My money would be on miscommunication with the Korean pilots. I suppose we’ll find out soon . . .

Guy

1 Like

According to footage taken by NHK at New Chitose Airport, it can be seen that the tip of the left main wing of the Korean Air plane is broken, and the rear part of the Cathay Pacific plane is also broken.
According to airport officials, the main wing of a Korean Air plane that was being pushed by a car to leave the tarmac collided with a Cathay Pacific plane that was parked next to it.

We all shoulda read the article, seems like some ground crew & potential pilot error. Either way, thankfully minor issue.

(This from translated Japanese a highlight which I think it would’ve been nice for OP to include considering - Japanese is fucky and doesn’t translate well :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

It’s not a Cathay Pacific error as their plane was reportedly parked . . .

Guy

Article mentions the CP passengers having disembarked, so it could have been at a terminal, or could’ve been a ‘get off on the runway’ type affair which wouldn’t be uncommon from what I know about some major Japanese airports…I know nothing about CTS basically

Taxi ‘bump’ from how I read it. Video on TV last night showed the place well and truly snowed under, so dont rule out the one being pushed sliding on ice either.

Not unlike the EVA wing scraping at TPE not so long ago.

1 Like

I’m an aspiring pilot. I listen to ATC quite often for listening practice. One thing I have noticed is that I can’t understand what the heck the pilots and ATC are saying to each other when it comes to several non-native English speaking pilots. I listened to the audio recording of the JAL and JDF pilots involved in the runway incursion in Japan recently and…I…couldn’t…understand…a…thing!
:frowning:

Luckily, this last incident in Chitose was a miscalculation by ground operations. Either the parked airplane was not pulled in enough according type of aircraft or the ground crew didn’t tow the aircraft following the guide lines painted on the tarmac.

1 Like

my lack of understanding was mostly the result of lack of knowledge of atc procedures, but I felt i understood them ok?

certainly could use improvement tho

1 Like

I’ll listen to them again. The recording I have is low volume.

Tf is with Japan these days, they cha bu duo-ing or something, id expect this from China honestly.

Please tell me this is pronounced Shit House, as this is how I keep reading it in my head.

Probably so much snow made it difficult to see said lines too.

2 Likes

Chi-toe-say

1 Like

Only five vowel sounds in Japanese:

a, i, u, e, o

So this is three syllables:

Chi to se

Guy

Shit House is better, especially after seeing the way they park :wink:

Sorry no it is not better.

Be nice! :angry:

Guy