šŸ˜· Japan | Entry requirements?

Has anyone traveled to Japan recently? Iā€™m a bit confused on the entry requirements now for those not triple vaccinated.

And itā€™s unclear what this means for Taiwanese citizens

Visa exemption arrangements for Taiwan is limited to passport holders with a personal ID number.

What is the personal ID number?

1 Like

A passport with your ID card number in it, or as I would call it normal passport vs. ones without ID# which are often people without Hukou/Household reg.)

3 Likes

On the Taiwanese passport, those who have household registration have their ID card number on their passport info page. Otherwise itā€™s blank.

Do you have the magic plastic card?

1 Like

It means only passports with Iā€™d number is a citizen. Those without are just nationals and those passport wonā€™t even get you into taiwan.

1 Like

I do have the ID card but it seems a bit weird that would need that.

Still a bit confused as it seems I need to take a PCR test and register as of now?

Well, in practise, those with the ID number and card are True Taiwanese citizens. Because of the National Without Household Registration and status, itā€™s kind of a way for countries to determine who actually is from Taiwan and who isnā€™t just ā€˜Overseas Chineseā€™ because their Grandfather fought for the ROC army in Shanghai.

2 Likes

You will need proof of a negative COVID test if you have not been triple vaccinated.

2 Likes

Vaccine Certificate for Quaranatineļ½œBorder Measuresļ½œMinistry of Health, Labour and Welfareļ½œGovernment of Japan (mhlw.go.jp)

Chart
000997373.pdf (mhlw.go.jp)

1 Like

Ah right. I remember my grandfather was very insistent that I get this card for this reason.

Of the One True Taiwan?

1 Like

The One True Tainumbawan!

1 Like
1 Like

What a mess it is to arrive into Fukuoka these days.

First we have a Quarantine checkpoint where you now need to show the evidence of 3 Covid shots or more, else you get waved into the direction of waiting Quarantine people in their PPE.

Then the vaccinated get to join a long line that mostly consists of Koreans and Vietnamese (aircraft from both countries were prominent on the tarmac) where you get to enjoy passing through Immigration TWICE (though not all get the first one). I thought that silly antic was Olympic related as it started around 2019, but alas it continues.
Then you get to collect your luggage which has beaten you to the carousel.

But there is more ā€¦ they have introduced Online Immigration forms - which rewards you with a QR Code to show the Immigration Officer - else you still have to fill out the paper form. Then, Customs have gone self service too and you get another QR Code after filling things out on-line, before finally being released - about an hour after stepping off the aircraft.

1 Like

Yes. The new online QR codes are a pain.

A PSA for interested forumosans: All COVID-related restrictions on entering Japan are now lifted, effective today April 29. The earlier target date for lifting restrictions was May 8, and it appears that government officials just said ā€œF&ck it letā€™s cash in on the upcoming Golden Week.ā€

Guy

3 Likes

I just entered Japan yesterday (28th) and all they asked to see were my immigration and customs QR codes. Nothing about COVID or vaccination records. Couldnā€™t have been easier.

2 Likes

How long was the line for Immigration - was hopeless in Fukouka back in February.

One person was ahead of me when I reached immigration at New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido.

3 Likes

What about at departure airport? Did anyone check anything?

Before the lifting of these restrictions, airline workers at check in counters would carefully look at my vaccine certificate to ensure that they would not be transporting an inadmissable passenger.

As of today, this extra step is not needed.

Guy

1 Like