E-VISA APPLICATION TIMELINE
I just want to document and share my experiences about my Japan e-visa application.
For context, I am an ARC holder and a passport holder from a country that needs tourist visa to enter Japan. In June 2023, the Japanese government allowed Taiwan residents (foreigners included) to apply for tourist visa electronically. I would recommend this to people who need a travel visa asap, or simply don’t have time to submit their application personally at the representative office. You can apply for e-visa here.
- Oct 10 - submitted online
- Oct 11 - received confirmation; they needed additional document
- Oct 12 - issued
Turn-around: FAQ says normal processing takes 5 days. In my case, it could’ve been quick as 1 day, had I submitted the application on a working day and attached the complete set of documents.
Requirements submittied: Passport (including the most recent entry stamp), schedule of Stay, proof of financial capacity, flight itinerary, passport-size photo, proof of residency
- The E-visa can only be issued for tourist, single entry, short-term purposes (15 days). The visa is only valid for 3 months.
- If you’re staying longer or prefer to have a multiple entry visa, you can apply using the normal visa process (Taipei Office, Kaohsiung Office)
- Visa-exempt passport holders, of course, need not to apply for e-visa