🇯🇵 Japan | Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe

Hi, Im looking to take a short break - away from kids - hence the “short”. Too short for a beach, so I’m thinking Osaka or Kyoto might be a good place. I’m looking for advice, or experiences that might help…I’ve always wanted to go to Japan but I don’t have much idea about Osaka. Also, did anyone find reasonable package deals?

Regards
V

I went to both cities a few years ago now. I loved them both for different reasons. Kyoto should be absolutely beautiful now, with the cherry blossoms coming out. It’s a delightful city with lots of beautiful parks and temples, and lots of little alleys with interesting shops to explore. In Osaka, I got to see some really good Japanese bands in local bars, and had a great time just watching young people in the busier shopping areas, and trying on the crazy local fashions. It definitely had a more urban feel to it than Kyoto.

I have been to both places a couple of times for conferences (which normally double as a get-away from wife and baby thing; nothing wrong with that). I love both cities. You can’t and won’t go wrong. Incredible food, so much great booze all the time, vistas, etc. If you are used to Taiwan but unfamiliar with Japan, then Japan will come as a VERY nice relief. Cleanliness (or at least a pretty high degree of it, an original culture, and a vibe -perhaps in part created by being a different elevation/ mini-hemisphere- that you will NOT mistake with Taiwan’s, makes it a very worthwhile short-term getaway. I wholeheartedly recommend moving forward with the trip.

Thank you both. That’s exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. :bravo:

V

I am planning to hit Osaka for about 4 days next week with my better half and the kid (11yo) in tow. Any suggestions on what part of town to stay if we want to stay at an Airbnb? Our main goals are to spend a day at Universal Studios (USJ) and a day trip to either (or both?) Nara or Kobe.

JapanCheapo is giving me some good ideas, but I cannot tell where would be strategic to stay for where we want to go (above)

I am also wondering if staying at a hotel near USJ is comparable to an Airbnb elsewhere in the city. This is our first time in Osaka

1 Like

I would stay at a cheap hotel in the city south, closer to USJ. Lots of port activity to look at for the kid. If s/he is into that.

As for a day trip, if you only have one day, do Nara. It’s colder there too, so be prepared for that.

Kobe has some interesting history as a trade town, but nothing so special that you’d miss out on anything important.

Some Airbnb in Japanese cities are stuck way out in the suburbs. Find a cheap hotel near a subway. That way there’s better food options available as well as faster transport.

Uber is a thing but there is also a handy taxi app for English speakers. Most of the Ubers are dual use taxis anyway.

1 Like

Osaka or Kyoto or both.

Kyoto beautiful and interesting, touristy but still great. Must visit and stay central. Enjoy the culture and sights. Lots of food. Stay and visit around this station and this side of river. Kyoto-Kawaramachi Station

Osaka is big city life, but laid back fun friendly culture. Stay visit near here Dotonbori Glico Sign

2 full days in Kyoto, 1 day n night Osaka, depart Osaka airport if possible.

7 Likes

Thank you. That was very helpful

One day in Kyoto?! You could pick the gold Temple or the Silver Temple or the philosophers walk or just go check one of these others that have more attractions.

Hotel near here west side. Some Japanese style homes like the ones you’re staying in now but just slightly less rustic.
先斗町の石碑と駒札

Kiyomizu-dera
+81 75-551-1234

Kiyomizu-dera
+81 75-551-1234

Sanneizaka (Sannenzaka)
+81 75-222-3397

2 Likes

i recommend checking out YHA youth hostels. they are very clean in Japan, have common areas for cooking etc. and my kids loved the bunk beds, i found the experience nicer compared to an airbnb but it depends on your family’s tastes and preferences.
in Kyoto i recommend the arashiyama bamboo forest. its beautiful.

3 Likes

Umeda or Nanba are commuting hubs, you’ll be able to easily reach Kyoto, Kobe and Nara from either places. Plus, they’re great places to wander around on their own. I stayed for a month in that place a stone’s throw away from Umeda, pretty cosy and well located in case it fits your budget:
https://www.bon-lodging.com/en/bon-condominium-umeda/

I’ll push back on that. I love Kobe’s Kitano area and the Meriken Park, makes for a good day of walking around if you wander around the Sannomiya shopping alleys and Chinatown.
That said between Kobe and Nara I’d pick Nara hands down. Nothing beats the temples, forests and being chased by hungry deers.

On another note, what the hell happened with that post merger? We got posts from one day ago followed by posts from last summer.

2 Likes

Anyone planning to fly into Kansai International Airport in the next while? Looking forward to checking out the cherry blossoms in bloom?

If so, watch out, as persistent staffing problems at KIX are reportedly leading some airlines (including Starlux) to cancel or reschedule some flights. More details here:

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202303070034

Guy

3 Likes