šŸ‡ÆšŸ‡µ Japan | Tokyo -- Which area to stay in Tokyo?

Iā€™m going to a conference for my industry in Tokyo next spring. Iā€™m interested to do some business with Japan and bring products they have over as the UK is a bit behind trends compared to the US and we are looking for new products to bring out.

Iā€™m wondering which area in Tokyo to stay in for a good time. We are most interested in areas that have access to good food and easy access to other parts. I went to Tokyo once when I was young and donā€™t really remember much about it.

1 Like

Shibuya or Shinjuku. Shibuya is most famous and youngest crowd. Or one train stop away for cheaper hotels.

I would probably say Shibuya central for first-time visitors. Itā€™s just a fantabulous Japanese assault on the senses. The most famous maybe busiest street crossing in the world is here. Also, maybe the most famous rendezvous point in the world at Hachiko statue. Shibuya has recently accomplished a revitalization plan itā€™s even better and better.

Hachikō Memorial Statue

There are many other famous fun areas but these are the most prime in themselves both with easy access to everything else.

Roppongi of course is famous for locals and foreigner nightlife but slow even dull in daytime and seedy at night. I donā€™t recommend staying there.

Ginza is concrete jungle but good to visit on Sundays when streets are closed to cars.

4 Likes

Ginza for the debutantes, Rappongi for the plebian love

4 Likes

Funny, and true.

What about Chiyoda? I see many hotels there.

Try Asakusa

2 Likes

Shibuya as has been said is always good for the first time.

A good alternative is Ebisu (like Shibuya also on Yamanote for easy access to pretty much anywhere) for something slightly less hectic. Walk to very pleasant Daikanyama and Naka-Meguro.

3 Likes

I would never stay there unless business trip and near the office. Itā€™s all business, empties at night, not great for tourists.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting me know.

Weā€™ve booked for accommodation in Shibuya :slight_smile: :grinning:

I have 3 nights left that I can spend in Japan. Where would you guys recommend?

Kyoto is the obvious choice, also Kobe. We want to enjoy the food :bento:.

Near enough by train to Tokyo so we donā€™t waste a day of traveling via train would be nice.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: :jp: Japan | Osaka/Kyoto experiences ā€“ Looking for a 4-day break

Not flashy but centrally located and almost certainly easier to navigate for a newbie than the complex maze of streets in Shibuya. Donā€™t get me started on the new Shibuya Station, which is insanely complicated.

Guy

1 Like

He is going on a business trip.

EDIT: OK, I see I am late to this party. :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

Iā€™m originally from Kobe, and I can tell you itā€™s worth the trip. But since youā€™re based in Tokyo youā€™ll need to get on the bullet train, plus Shin-Kobe (the bullet train station in Kobe) is a tad bit off the city. Youā€™ll need to take another local subway to get to Sannomiya, which is downtown Kobe.

If youā€™re looking for good olā€™ Kobe Beef, you could try Moriya. Thereā€™s even a store in Gion, Kyoto so you can try it there if you donā€™t make it to Kobe. I tried the Royal Mouriya way back, and it was great.

https://www.mouriya.co.jp/en/

3 Likes

Kobe is a nice ideaā€”but with three days only, starting in Tokyo, this looks like a stretch to me. Heā€™d be spending all his time on the shinkansen.

Guy

1 Like

Tokyo is easily a 10 days city on its own. Thereā€™s so many things to do and if you are looking for a quick trip outside the city then why not go to Kamakura and Enoshima? Mount Fuji + Hakone might be another good combo.

3 Likes

If going to Kyoto and looking for real memorable restaurants, be aware of need to book a month ahead, or more.

If Andrew sticks to the Kanto area (i.e. no big excursion to Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe . . . ) then Iā€™d say why not Nikko? The elevatation and lovely trees makes this one of the most comfortable places in the region in the summer, as this visionary Italian diplomat figured out:

https://artscape.jp/artscape/eng/focus/1507_02.html

Reading that piece above makes me realize how literate English language writings on Japan can be. With the exception of notable writers such as @StevenCrook and Han Cheungā€”and, in an earlier era, the inimitable @Mucha_Man ā€”we remain really bereft of this in Taiwan.

Guy

2 Likes

Visit Hiroshima and Miyajima.

1 Like

Iā€™ts a shame you only have so few days. I would try sneak a trip to Nara in to hang out with the deer, depends what you want to see.

Would need at least one full day of running around seeing all the temples in Kyoto, and Osaka is a great place to eat, drink and chill out.

Hopefully things havenā€™t changed too much (for the worse) after the pandemic.

2 Likes