🇯🇵 Japan | Tokyo -- Which area to stay in Tokyo?

Osaka is so much more enjoyable… well, all of Kansai beats any of Kanto for me.

1 Like

Yes Kansai does have its fans, especially for those who like cheaper tasty Japanese food and—in Osaka anyways—a generally more convivial vibe.

Tokyo’s strengths are, as I see them, different: better international foods, unparallelled design, better shopping. For Japanese food, not so much!

Guy

After I get back from Osaka to visit our manufacturing partners and doing some touring.

We are returning to Tokyo. We can either stay at Shinjuku or Minato

I’ve posted the maps of the Hilton (we have lots of points and can stay at either one with our points before we leave for Vietnam. Which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

The maps you’ve posted are both in Nishi-Shinjuku . . .

Are we missing something?

Guy

I forget how well you know Tokyo.

Shinjuku I would always pick over minato. I’ve stayed in Minato more quiet not so centered on activities unless you want to get away staycation type of thing.

Shinjuku Hilton as you know business focused but just 10 minutes walk from so much including lots of new infrastructure built for the olympics.

First stops near your hotel is to see this Tokyo City view from top of Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building

And Omoide Yokochō
+81 3-3364-3235

1 Like

Sorry, this is the one

1 Like

Hmmm both will be a bit of a walk to the action, close to very large stations (Shinjuku in one case; Shinbashi in the other). If wild nights out are your priority, I’d take the Shinjuku property. If a quieter time is in order, then I’d take the Conrad, which I think might be the better property anyways, where you could stroll over to Ginza.

That’s my take!

Guy

We are in tbis area for 2 weeks. Maybe minato would be a good spot for us then?

We are not going out to drink and party. For us we just want to enjoy our day walking and site seeing and access to good food. Food is definitely the priority

I’ve also realized there is this one next to Tokyo Disney land.

Two weeks!

In that case, how about one week in one hotel, and one week in the other? Then you could let us know what you prefer. :joy:

Btw, Ginza during the day can be reasonable but it can be very pricey to eat there at night. Cheaper eats should be available through closer to Shinbashi, which is more like a commuter hub.

PS The Chiba property you mentioned would be way out there in the burbs. Unless you are with small children, or you have friends around there, I wouldn’t make that a priority.

Guy

1 Like

Ginza for me is boring except shopping or KTV bars.

Of course there are must see attractions things to do including Sundays when they block off the streets but generally.

1 Like

Excellent weekday lunch specials in the area. Superb shopping too (of course Shinjuku has that too). Plus a grid layout—a relative rarity in Tokyo where you can instead get lost in the maze, which no doubt would appeal to you @tango42 !

Of course for the party and drinking scene, Shinjuku is the winner, where all manner of fun can be had.

Guy

I mean we are at the place I circled for 2 weeks. We are then going down south and to Osaka for some meetings. Then we are back to Tokyo for 2 days before we leave for Vietnam for more business.

So I’m trying to decide which area to be for those 2 days.

Got it. If you have time, let us know what you decide—and your take on the neighbourhoods / hotels.

Guy

I prefer the Hilton, location is great for a visitor and nightlife fun. It was nice day in Tokyo today, clear not very cold (compared to Europe, not snow). Hope when you visit you have clear dry days.
In Vilnius 3 weeks ago, so Tokyo’s weather today was nice. (Allow some time on arrival as Airport is busy at peak flight arrivals time such when i flew from Hawaii and have the three QR codes on your phone or printied for faster exit QR for (1) COVID (2) Immigration (3) Customs which scans your QR code+ID and pass with not talking with anyone which is not normal for Japan.)

1 Like

We decided to stay at the Hilton next to Disney Land and visit for the day before our flight

1 Like

So following deliberation, the answer is . . . Chiba! :grin:

Guy

We are driving down south next week. Will keep you all updated on some cool places including Osaka and hot springs we hit up.

1 Like

Nice to drive, but make keep some money to pay the tolls for the motorway which can be quite high.

1 Like

We stayed in the mountains in Wakayama prefecture for the night before meeting a new manufacturing partner in Osaka.

Problem is it snowed last night and we have summer tires on the car so it’s too risky to try to drive down today.

But the good news is I left some Sapporo outside so it will be nice and cold.

2 Likes