🇯🇵 Japan | Tokyo -- Which area to stay in Tokyo?

Home cookin?

Yup, it’s a pretty old house with one of these.

uh, how so?

I’m heading to Kyoto tomorrow for a day. What are some must dos, must sees, and must eats if I only have a day there.

Grilling up Christmas Eve dinner samurai style

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: :jp: Japan | Osaka/Kyoto experiences – Looking for a 4-day break

I’m in Fujioshida for two days

I noticed that Tokyo has a ton of Indian restaurants which I didn’t expect. I guess indian food is very popular now in Japan?

1 Like

I did see that as well. I didn’t venture into any though.

It’s been popular for a while!

Love the Indian restaurant lunch specials. :yum:

Guy

Stopped by Nara

2 Likes

With weather like that, just spend the day there!

Guy

1 Like

This visit to Japan has really made something stand out to me compared to Europe. Going to historical sites in Europe, tourism is a mess. You get a bunch of Africans and Arabs selling crap on the side of the road ruining the entire experience and sometimes they’re even overly aggressive and scammy.

Had one guy threaten my sisters bf while we were in Paris because he tried to scam him with price changes for the beer next to the Eiffel Tower. It was a total annoyance while mr and my girl were trying to enjoy a romantic stroll to have people come shove wines and flowers in my face or some cheap statue of the tower shouting 3 euros!

Like fuck off.

Japan maintains these cultural sites with control. None of this nonsense. Tourism is handled with care from what I can tell and historical sites respected.

2 Likes

In Japan, it happens in Shinkuku Kabukichu, but they’re selling different things and scamming

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me in same spot.

Guy came around a second time to sell me a second beer and I didn’t want one. He almost wanted to have a knock down drag out fight with me started bumping into me. Police walked past at perfect moment.

I got a bit annoyed with him (my sister’s bf) as I told him not to even pay these people attention. I absolutely hate these people as they ruin the entire experience and I know what they often do.

When he cracked open the 2nd one and it was like 3x the price of the first he was like no and returned it. The guy threw the beer at him as we walked away. I was in my mind like fuck we are probably about to be get stabbed but I’ll need to be a man and fight back if it’s going down like that.

Luckily the scammer ran away as he saw me walk over and we both looked pretty pissed. He talked bunch of shit on the way out like he was getting his boss or whatever. We had to leave the area but Europe just so unpleasant at times. It just feels like I’m constantly watching over my shoulders.

Here in Japan (I’m not sure if you’ve saw that I’ve recently had my car and office broken into in the UK). The only person that “broke in” was my Airbnb host bringing us food as she saw we were snowed in and came to make sure we had enough food. I don’t feel the need to constantly scan the people around me for danger and lock my doors tightly at night.

It’s just sad people just believe it’s normal to have a life like that in Europe. It’s not a city thing either. You can have a safe city but Europeans and Americans have given up on the idea and politicians do nothing to keep cities clean and safe.

3 Likes

I stayed at this place for hot springs.

Really nice experience and a wonder dinner and breakfast. Even had the treat of grinding up some fresh local wasabi roots.

I absolutely love real wasabi and I’ve seen the roots being grinded in front of me but never had the opportunity to hold the roots and do it myself.

2 Likes

That is a full-on ryokan meal. Impressive!

Guy

Wow, with the yen in the gutter that place is really reasonable. Putting it on my list.

1 Like

The owners are very nice. Highly recommend it. Not far from Tokyo

Stopped by Shima today for the onsen

Had this interesting pale ale made from onsen water

2 Likes