Jay Chou's Mr J Restaurant at Taipei Medical University to close

Is this food actually any good? Will it be missed? There are plenty of places to get proper Italian food in Taipei.

I mean he is the biggest star in the Chinese speaking world and has been for 20 years. Kardashians have no discernable talent, but Jay early stuff was relatively interesting for the time.

How long have you lived here? It would be like living in the US in the 90s and not knowing who Michael Jackson is

1 Like

Jay Chou must be close to billionaire status now. I’m sure he won’t miss the money

I’ve been here 4 years.

Dude, what are you interested in? For me personally, I have zero interest in Taiwanese entertainment gossip/news. I read books, surf and banter on internet, watch Netflix, and keep up on politics, that’s it. Don’t know what else to say.

From what I’ve read here, he sounds like a wanker though, so sounds like I’m not missing much.

1 Like

Im interested in politics and music. Four years makes sense, a decade ago you wouldn’t be able to get away.

1 Like

I heard about him from a Singapore girl and until today mostly girls talk about him. Apparently handsome and suave With great voice.

He’s very popular now but he was like a teen heartthrob a few years back.

Probably seen his pictures and his music but never known name or recognized him.

great voice

Another soppy Mandopop balladist then? Yawn.

1 Like

If you met a Chinese guy who had been in US for a decade in the 80s and had no idea who Madonna or Michael Jackson was , you would think they had been living in a Chinese bubble.

2 Likes

This was interesting at the time. He was mixing Chinese traditional music with hip hop which is common now but was interesting then.

Was also in Green Hornet as Kato

2 Likes

Pretty cool actually, thanks. Anything but another insincere ballad…

Hmm… :thinking:

2 Likes

No you are right, most of his stuff is shit. Especially after say 2008. Total CCP lackey now

2 Likes

Jay Chou and Jackie Chan. Both bootlickers who can GTFO. Sad because I always enjoyed Jackie as entertainer and I guess Jay’s music was decent.

No, it just makes you ignorant of Taiwanese pop stars. Not that it matters that much, anyway. There are more important things in life.

Sounds like “lucky” to me. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

“Lucky” as in you had the good fortune to not listen to his music? LOL
Maybe, you heard his songs playing in the background somewhere and don’t even know it. Anyway, he was also in the reboot of “The Green Hornet” with Seth Rogen.

I don’t understand this. And I don’t understand why Taiwan guys like the ghostly white skin sickly toothpick leg hello kitty girls.

Different cultures so as long as they are happy and we are happy.

@DrewC Here are a couple of his songs in two different styles:

My coworker, another American, became fluent in Mandarin as an adult and so is an inspiration to me. Anyway, he always wows the locals when he sings this fast Jay Chou song at KTV and keeps up with the singer until the end.

I myself like Jay Chou’s weird mash-up of Chinese culture in this video:

2 Likes

Nobody thinks he is handsome

1 Like

Apart from his politics views, he is a great artist. Pianist, lyricist, movie maker, actor, and singer, and not in a chabuduo sense. He is really good at what he does. He has been in some Hollywood movies too. Getting to know his work is worth it, not for gossip but in the arts sense of it.

1 Like