Jeremy Lin...Bringing the MSG to MSG

Boy’s got game! :thumbsup:

I haven’t watched the NBA in a long time, but the wife had the Lakers Knicks game on today instead of the usual mayucki idiot parade.

Jeremy Lin destroyed the Lakers, now he is flooding my Facebook feed.

Taiwan is basically like this right now about Lin:

What a story!

Kobe: Who are you?
J-Lin: A multi-talented Chinese megastar?
Kobe: No. You’re a SYSTEM!
J-Lin: …You’re welcome.

This was also brought to my attention by ABCs flooding Facebook. I watched some of that interview and he’s pretty heavy on the god talk. It’s a little irritating. Scratch that, it’s extremely irritating. Taiwanese Christians piss me off, they are so self-righteous. This whole interview is just about god having a plan for him.

Question: Why didn’t that coach choose you for the team?
Lin: God wanted me to suffer to build character.

Question: When were you chosen to play?
Lin: The coach is also a Christian so we just talked about how much we love Jesus and he picked me.

Question: How did you negotiate your contracts?
Lin: My agent and family all sat down and read the bible to figure out with clauses in my contract were most beneficial for me.

If I were him I would kiss Mainland’s ass and make bank. Chinese people would love him because he’s a Chinese taking over the NBA, but he’s actually decent unlike Yao Ming. He needs to shut his mouth with the god shit or Mainland’s not gonna want him.

He better cash in on this before his 15 minutes are up and the Taiwanese move onto something else…like new food in some random night market.

It is always good to see someone breaking racial stereotypes.

But, seriously, the dude is an American, isn’t he?

What does this story say about Taiwan? That people like to leave it and have children in a better country? Seems about as much fun as eating crumbs. Or watching women’s golf. :laughing:

Yes he has a US passport, but he is Chinese, and Chinese people see the DNA not the citizenship.

My biggest worry (and this was brought to my attention by Hannes) is that he will play with China’s National Team and crush the hearts of all his ROC fans. His ROC links aren’t the most solid, his parents were waishenren and he was born in California. No real ties to the Taike lifestyle.

But this thread is not about anything negative, the kid is flat out balling, might win player of the week in the NBA for crisesakes, there has never been an Asian guard crack an NBA rotation (there have been a couple who kept the bench from tipping over), and for him to step up the way he has…full propers!

As for the God love, lets not forget he plies his trade in the land of Christian extremists, so nothing new there.

If you guys are referring to this interview, it’s aired on the religious channel, GoodTV.

I love it when an underdog comes out on top like this. He didn’t get a big athletic scholarship, and then people doubted whether he’d make it in the NBA.

Look at him now! What a difference a week like this makes! :discodance:

That’s a religious channel? I never actually watch Taiwanese TV…except for Supreme Master Ching Hai, of course. I get most of my news from the robots on Noteworthy News.

Anyway, good for him, breaking racial barriers and all that.

But yeah, I can see him “switching teams” over to Mainland. His parents left in the 70’s I’m assuming to do computer engineering (he’s from freakin Palo Alto…) and the mom appeared to not have to fall back on Taiyu during the interview, and he’s an ABC, and his Mandarin sucks. It’s god’s plan for Taiwan to return to Mainland after all anyway, isn’t it? :laughing:

Actually, I’m curious as to whether or not they had to translate the questions for him, then just cut that part out. None of these awful TV shows are ever actually done live.

It’s pretty amazing looking back at this thread I made in 2010:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=89968

I thought he would hopefully get a bit of playing time and make a big play here or there, but nothing like this.

One interesting note is that reading the US articles about him, most of them use the line “person of Chinese or Taiwanese heritage”. It’s a bit awkward, but it’s like someone sent a memo around all the writers that it was the most PC way to phrase it without pissing anyone off. I hope he doesn’t end up embracing the mainland. That really would crush all the Taiwanese fans who are so excited right now.

Of course!
Solid joke, bro!

When was the last time you saw 16 languages subtitled at the same time?

But seriously, I’m glad she was able to find an angel in heaven and multiply her spirituality merit points, so the number of souls that can be saved almost tripled to 10,000,000,000 within days . :bravo: :notworthy:

Can’t wait for Plan C and Plan D.

His dad’s side is Taiwanese. Zhanghua area to be exact. I don’t know about his mom’s side, as the only thing said about that is his maternal grandmother is from Zhejiang, China. Also, he did already decline a request to play for the PRC in the FIBA Asia Championship a year ago.

It’s hard to get a feel about the Taiwanese Americans stance on China-Taiwan. I’ve known quite a few when I was in college, and half of them only cared about iPhones, cars and stuff like that, the other half didn’t like China that much, but they weren’t hardcore about it. But, I’ve also known Taiwanese here who avoid the topic and on the surface don’t seem to care that much, only to find out they’re pretty hardcore TIers.

Onto his actual play, I remember watching highlights of a game he played during summer league of his rookie year. He played against John Wall, who had ridiculous hype that year, and he actually shut Wall down when he was guarding him, all while schooling him on offense several times. I remember thinking it’d be awesome if one day he made it in the NBA. I was also puzzled with how no analysts thought he was actually any good, and that it was just a fluke game.

His dad’s side is Taiwanese. Zhanghua area to be exact. I don’t know about his mom’s side, as the only thing said about that is his maternal grandmother is from Zhejiang, China. Also, he did already decline a request to play for the PRC in the FIBA Asia Championship a year ago.

It’s hard to get a feel about the Taiwanese Americans stance on China-Taiwan. I’ve known quite a few when I was in college, and half of them only cared about iPhones, cars and stuff like that, the other half didn’t like China that much, but they weren’t hardcore about it. But, I’ve also known Taiwanese here who avoid the topic and on the surface don’t seem to care that much, only to find out they’re pretty hardcore TIers.

Onto his actual play, I remember watching highlights of a game he played during summer league of his rookie year. He played against John Wall, who had ridiculous hype that year, and
he actually shut Wall down when he was guarding him, all while schooling him on offense several times.
I remember thinking it’d be awesome if one day he made it in the NBA. I was also puzzled with how no analysts thought he was actually any good, and that it was just a fluke game.[/quote]

not exactly true, that youtube clip has been viewed by many, Lin played well and won the battle, but lets not get carried away. Summer league has often seen D-Leaguer and scrubs go off and score 30 plus points so no matter what Lin did on that particular day, the powers that be view it as nothign more than glorified pick up ball.

If Lin wants to be savvy he will avoid playing for either Chinese team. Too much to lose.

If he plays for any national team, I think he’s smart enough that if given the chance, it will be the USA. It’s the legitimate, natural choice. China and Taiwan (and all of Asia) will still embrace him, because to be quite frank, they have nothing else in basketball to claim right now.

It was apparent in the Minnesota game, that the few days rest is going to be welcome here, he was looking a bit tired at the end. Still looked good.

Yeah, shut down was too strong a description. To be honest, I hadn’t seen the highlights in 2 years, but, it was clear that he had skills, especially driving and passing. I was a bit wrong about the reaction too. There were doubters, but a lot of the fans and sports announcers thought he had potential. However, the fact that only the warriors took a chance with him to me, showed that there were no GMs who really believed in him. Most people thought that the Warriors chose him to tap into the Asian market in the Bay Area and the West Coast and not because they really believed in his talent.

It’s also true that the Summer League has a lot of nobody’s go off, but they usually don’t beat a very highly touted number one pick. And usually scrubs go off because their shot is falling that day, not because of their decision making and abilities. That’s why you generally don’t see much from them later. They’re not going to go 13-15 and 5-6 from threes every game.

I agree about not playing for either national team.

He’s not going to play for the US team. He’s good but not Chris Paul good and probably not even an NBA all-star. On the Chinese team he would be the man.

this is a great story though. I’m glad that it’s happening and could care less how vague his Taiwanese roots are (they aren’t actually).

I did say “given the opportunity.” :slight_smile:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but hypothetically speaking, if an American-born citizen wanted to play for the Chinese National Team, wouldn’t they have to naturalize to China? Wouldn’t they then forfeit their American citizenship? If that’s the case, easy out for Mr. Linsanity if and when he gets asked why he can’t play for China or Chinese Taipei.

I have known a few ehtnically Asian people who have been handed ROC passports so they could pass as locals and play sports here. I cannot comment on China, but if he decided to come to Taiwan he’d have an R.O.C. passport waiting on his arrival. Guaranteed. There are many people on this island with both R.O.C. and US passports, and that is all you need.

BTW, I kept seeing this article on Facebook (posted by several of my local friends) this morning kind of telling everyone in TW that Lin is a Yank and they need to shut it, or something like that.

Can someone post the text of the article here so I can translate it. I am very curious to see what has all these people’s panties in a bunch.

Recommendations will be given.

I have a number of ABT friends in this situation (not for sports, but for similar reasons), and my understanding is that this is a grey area because officially, Taiwan doesn’t exist, whereas the situation is very different with PRC.

This article? I put the headline in Google & Yahoo, but and couldn’t find a digital copy of the original. The lead is visible here in the scan.

And he isn’t going to be given that opportunity. He’s a great story and I hope that he can continue to be successful but it’s very unlikely that he’ll be an elite player.

Actually there is a growing problem (imo) with dual citizenship athletes and olympic basketball. At least 3 basketball players did this at the last olympics although I’m not sure why they didn’t lose their US citizenship.

sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/ … ure-080817