Jerry Falwell was right

Remember when Jerry Falwell was claiming that the purple teletubbie was gay? Well, being a new father, I finally saw a couple of episodes and Tinky Winky (the purple teletubbie) seems pretty gay to me. I’ve only seen two episodes. In one episode, he is carrying a big red purse. In the other episode, he is dancing around in a white tutu. Actually, the dance scene was pretty funny and both my wife and I were laughing our heads off.

Anyway, for once, Jerry Falwell may have known what he was talking about. I don’t agree that this is a bad influence on children but Tinky Winky certainly looks gay to me.

I don’t think they have any sex in Telletubbie land. So how can he be gay? Is it a girl or a boy? There’s no way to tell. Lala likes to do the ballet dancing and is very effeminant. Dipsey is very butch and likes to play with his big ball. Po is the baby one and likes the scooter. Tellytubbies love each other very much.

Well, they do use the the words “his” and “her”. They use “his” in reference to Tinky Winky (the purple one)

I never noticed them using ‘her’ for any of them. Maybe Lala I guess. Tinky Winky seems to be the oldest one, in my opinion. But they don’t wear clothes and they have no obvious sexual organs. That vacuum cleaner thing is a little freaky too.

Tinky Winky used to be played by Dave Thompson, whose chat up line was “Would you like some tellytubbie custard”.

Also, why would you feel the need to comment on someone’s perceived sexuality? Will you bring up your child to have your open-mindedness and judgementalism?

I also don’t get the wearing-purple-and-carrying-a-handbag with preferring sex with the same gender. Am I missing something?

Gilgamesh didn’t say it was a bad thing. He thinks Tingting acts gay and that is a fair assesment.
My kids loved them all and we never discussed their sexuality.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Gilgamesh didn’t say it was a bad thing. He thinks Tingting acts gay and that is a fair assesment.
My kids loved them all and we never discussed their sexuality.[/quote]Well, Jerry Fallwell sounds like a spice girl. And is therefore obviously gay. Who is he anyway, some sort of far-right christian newshost?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Gilgamesh didn’t say it was a bad thing. He thinks Tingting acts gay and that is a fair assesment.
My kids loved them all and we never discussed their sexuality.[/quote]Well, Jerry Fallwell sounds like a spice girl. And is therefore obviously gay. Who is he anyway, some sort of far-right christian newshost?[/quote]
Jerry Fallwell is ‘with the Lord’ now. He was the founder of Liberty University and once filed a lawsuit against Larry Flynt.

Mr Falwell thought it was a bad thing: “role modelling the gay lifestyle is damaging to the moral lives of children.” cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a … /OPINION02
Must be a different meaning of “liberty” than I’m used to.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Also, why would you feel the need to comment on someone’s perceived sexuality? Will you bring up your child to have your open-mindedness and judgementalism?

I also don’t get the wearing-purple-and-carrying-a-handbag with preferring sex with the same gender. Am I missing something?[/quote]

Yes, my children will probably have my open-mindedness, not to sure about my judgementalism. I did not say that there is anything wrong with Tinky Winky or being gay so please do not read into my comments. Also, please refrain from making comments about my parenting skills given the fact that you know nothing about me or my parenting skills.

I was making a comment about how, a long time ago, Jerry Falwell was in an uproar about how the purple teletubbie was gay. Now that I have actually seen the teletubbies, I am saying that he may have been right. That is, he may be right on Tinky Winky being gay, not on the bad influence part.

Maybe you have never heard of Jerry Falwell or the gay teletubbie uproar, but I always thought it was kind of funny and a silly thing to get upset about. Now, that I have seen the teletubbie show, I can understand where people got the idea that Tinky Winky is gay.

Yes…but not the same “Lord” he was expecting to be with!

Hot enough for ya down there, Jerry?

Is the teletubby that loves fried chicken black? I think he might be. :ponder:

I remember the giggles, and rumours, the satire. There was no uproar, we don’t have any many fundamentalist religious hate-mongers as some countries do. Even if we did, we wouldn’t give them the attention they crave.

The official line on the TT’s was that they were “non-sexual” beings, despite gender assignation.
Wasn’t Rev. Fallwell’s characterization based on there being some sort of purple triangular symbology associated somewhere with gay/alternative rights?
Honest to G-d, you look at the stuff that he used to come up with, it really, literally rivaled, like, The Onion for patent absurdity.
I sometimes thought he was working undercover for the Liberal Left, because he’d come up with these screamers on a weekly basis.
Tell you the truth, when my kid was watching the show, I worried a lot more about how it was OK that a group of individuals with the collective IQ of a banana were allowed to live in that house unsupervised…
That and the creepy creepy scary freaky Sunbaby, who still gives me chills…

Brrrrrrrr…

Don’t be stupid. That was the Taiwanese one. The black one likes watermelon.
I was given a bunch of Teletubby DVDs recently. They’re pretty crap from every standpoint I can see, although I admit my infantilism is purely in the mind. I was also given a bunch of HBO “Classical Baby” DVDs. I strongly recommend them and so does my ankle-biter. He likes them much more than the Teletubbies.
That said, there’s a ceiling lamp in Ikea that I’m scoring for the sprog’s room this weekend. Its exactly like that creepy sun baby (without the animated face-thingy). Although from what I can tell, the BEST thing about the Teletubbies from Sandy Wee’s point of view is that stupid sun – always makes him laugh, unlike the fat ugly braindead stars of the show. I heard that the person in the yellow suit is a vehemently rabid lesbian feminist with a green mohawk, by the way.

Dipsy is the black one. His face is a little bit darker than the others. As a parent, you’re just so glad to have something that will take your kids attention for more than a few minutes so you can take a break.

I heard that people in Australia like to get high and watch the show. It’s so psychedelic and colorful.

I liked Marcel the vomitting monkey.

I used to think I’d hate the Teletubbies with all that “baby talk” but when you watch a couple and do some of the dances, they grow on you.

Wasn’t there some documentary about how the show was created? Or maybe I read about it. It was years ago. Something about how they created it for the preschool aged kids (and or toddlers?) and how kids at that age like (and benefit from) repetition. There are some segments played twice if I remember correctly and children enjoy predicting what’s going to come next. The dances are all movements very little ones can imitate. Little kids love the baby sun.

I don’t know about the Chinese version but in English Po would say “eh-oh” for “hello”. I used to think it was dumb to encourage kids to say “eh-ho” and all the other baby words but my kids and I enjoyed them so much it doesn’t matter. :laughing:

They are much better than Barney. My kids liked Barney too, but I can’t stand those goody goody kids they have on.