Jesse V's conspiracy theory

Been watching reruns of this show of late…what’s my opinion…some things he says seem credible, other things seem a bit wacko, but overall interesting to see someone challenging the man.
Interesting thing is now the show is not on after a sale by the parent company and a ‘delay’ in funding. Jesse is now in the midst of applying for Mexican citizenship and does many interviews now from an undisclosed location.
Is he paranoid? Is he on to something?
What do you think?

Conspiracy theorist = gullible moron who is willfully ignorant in order to provide himself with a perverse form of entertainment.

Psychiatric studies need to be made on the internet era conspiracy theorist. People who willingly put aside common sense and believe in people like Alex Jones or ‘above top secret’ (oooh, lala, some internet dork has the REAL scoop). There is something in the human condition that conspiracy nonsense brings to life with certain people, perhaps a need to separate themselves from the masses, to make themselves feel more knowledgeable or less ‘sheep’ like? A willing desire to mold everything into their new false reality where every news story is a result of something is calculated and cunning, yet only them and their ilk are keenly aware of it all.

I’d like someone to make (or link me to) a website that shows how many times all these clowns have been wrong since their websites and podcasts started producing a lot of content. But the reality is, they would ignore it and focus on the dispersed tidbits they got kind of right, that is the key survival behavior of this group.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”] A willing desire to mold everything into their new false reality where every news story is a result of something is calculated and cunning, yet only them and their ilk are keenly aware of it all.

I’d like someone to make (or link me to) a website that shows how many times all these clowns have been wrong since their websites and podcasts started producing a lot of content. But the reality is, they would ignore it and focus on the dispersed tidbits they got kind of right, that is the key survival behavior of this group.[/quote]

I’ve lost a friend to all this madness. His facebook page is awash with quotes about how we are all sheep, universities are breeding sheep, that there is higher knowledge out there for those who seek it, quotes from people who never said the things they are quoted as saying. He believes all the stuff about Jews running the media, Bush orchestrating 9/11, earthquakes being caused by military super weapons etc. He reads David Icke and says the guy knows his shit. It’s sad to watch really, because you simply cannot discuss anything with him now. The more you push him the further entrenched he becomes and starts wondering if, ‘the Jews have got to me too.’ He used to be a right good laugh, now you can’t say a damn thing without him using it as an opportunity to bash his agendas out once again. It is a form of paranoid delusion and its quite sad to see. Because even if all the things he thinks are true actually ARE true it still doesn’t mean you need to dedicate your life to being angry about them. The perceived version of reality is messed up enough as it is and we manage to get along day to day. If I found out aliens really did land in Roswell I think I could still manage to take a crap and walk the dog tomorrow morning as per usual. Same as if the moon landings were faked. Which they weren’t.

Just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean no one is after me. The better technology gets the worse friend it will be to everyone prone to paranoia, and make it more likely the fears of the paranoid will become true

[quote=“superking”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”] A willing desire to mold everything into their new false reality where every news story is a result of something is calculated and cunning, yet only them and their ilk are keenly aware of it all.

I’d like someone to make (or link me to) a website that shows how many times all these clowns have been wrong since their websites and podcasts started producing a lot of content. But the reality is, they would ignore it and focus on the dispersed tidbits they got kind of right, that is the key survival behavior of this group.[/quote]

I’ve lost a friend to all this madness. His facebook page is awash with quotes about how we are all sheep, universities are breeding sheep, that there is higher knowledge out there for those who seek it, quotes from people who never said the things they are quoted as saying. He believes all the stuff about Jews running the media, Bush orchestrating 9/11, earthquakes being caused by military super weapons etc. He reads David Icke and says the guy knows his shit. It’s sad to watch really, because you simply cannot discuss anything with him now. The more you push him the further entrenched he becomes and starts wondering if, ‘the Jews have got to me too.’ He used to be a right good laugh, now you can’t say a damn thing without him using it as an opportunity to bash his agendas out once again. It is a form of paranoid delusion and its quite sad to see. Because even if all the things he thinks are true actually ARE true it still doesn’t mean you need to dedicate your life to being angry about them. The perceived version of reality is messed up enough as it is and we manage to get along day to day. If I found out aliens really did land in Roswell I think I could still manage to take a crap and walk the dog tomorrow morning as per usual. Same as if the moon landings were faked. Which they weren’t.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your friend. I know people like this too, but I think they want to be this way, it gives them some sort of weird satisfaction.

Most of the theories are so sad that it borders on pathetic.

There are the facts:

The ‘Jewish media’ is funded and owned by rich WASPs, and there are only 14M Jews on the planet and many of them have a hard enough time defending their landing strip sized area of land in the Middle East. They don’t run much outside of a few SMEs.

Bush didn’t do anything about 9/11. Literally. That is why the US was attacked.

There were bigger earthquakes before there were weapons being tested.

Man left various objects on the moon, many of which are visible with a high-powered telescope.

I think deep down your friend knows this, but the truth is lame and everyone who is into conspiracies ignores their better judgement to play their own game of judging others. They are textbook conforming non-conformists.

Now this could be an interesting discussion…

Such research would certainly be interesting to see the results of. But if evidence was found that the internet indeed causes conspiracy theories to become more popular, and if this again cause disturbances, would that mean that governments have legitimate reasons to do censorship and restrict the freedom of speech online? The Internet is enabling anyone with internet access to build an audience. No matter how extreme or weird their views may be.

Perhaps we’ll soon see such research conducted in China, certain countries in the middle-east and other countries that actively block unwanted content. And they may use this to justify their content control.

But at least for me, selective content filtering is almost more terrifying than completely blocking internet access. Imagine governments only blocking the conspiracy theories they don’t like.

Conspiracy theorists are no different from people who are really religious. Both groups base their whole lives around fanciful shit and won’t shut up about it.

Just good to see what other people are thinking about sometimes…everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, no matter how out there they are. I agree, there are some real nut jobs out there…to each their own.

So is the WWE real or not?

I searched Google Scholar for the psychology of conspiracies a while ago. There isn’t a LOT of research out there yet but there is some. Like these two:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21751999

http://mail.ts-si.org/files/doi1011771948550611434786.pdf

That second one is quite funny. “The present research shows that even mutually incompatible conspiracy theories are positively correlated
in endorsement. In Study 1 (n ¼ 137), the more participants believed that Princess Diana faked her own death, the more they believed that she was murdered. In Study 2 (n ¼ 102), the more participants believed that Osama Bin Laden was already dead when U.S. special forces raided his compound in Pakistan, the more they believed he is still alive.

:laughing:

Edit: oh, and who the hell is Jesse V?

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]I searched Google Scholar for the psychology of conspiracies a while ago. There isn’t a LOT research out there yet but there is some. Like these two:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21751999

http://mail.ts-si.org/files/doi1011771948550611434786.pdf

That second one is quite funny. “The present research shows that even mutually incompatible conspiracy theories are positively correlated
in endorsement. In Study 1 (n ¼ 137), the more participants believed that Princess Diana faked her own death, the more they believed that she was murdered. In Study 2 (n ¼ 102), the more participants believed that Osama Bin Laden was already dead when U.S. special forces raided his compound in Pakistan, the more they believed he is still alive.

:laughing:

Edit: oh, and who the hell is Jesse V?[/quote]

Ab, those studies are fascinating! Thanks for the links. I’ve asked the Princess Di question on my facebook wall, I wonder how many people believe she didn’t die in an accident. I’ll wager it will be quite a lot.

WWE is real, if you want it to be.

He’s The Body!!

This is the only “conspiracy” Jesse Ventura should be commenting on. Maybe he caught one too many, Peoples Elbows.

So, any takers? Some of the conspiracy types I know are quite rational on many issues. Others are just plain nuts. :laughing:

Ah yes. So the poll was…

Do you believe Princess Diana:
a) Was killed by MI6?
b) Was killed by business rivals of al-Fayed?
c) Faked her own death and is still alive?
d) Died in an accident caused by drunk driving and being chased?
e) Something else?
No need to explain your theory. Just write down a letter.

Results:

a) 3
b) 0
c) 1
d) 9
e) 3

In hindsight the wording of the options was probably too biased. Also, without then going on and looking at other things those who chose a,c,e believe the results are slightly meaningless. I’m not running an ANOVA or a t-test, so the basic stats are 56% of those who responded don’t subscribe to a conspiracy theory. Or another way, 44% of my friends are nut jobs. :laughing: Conspircay guy didn’t respond…

Those who responded e believe she was pregnant and was offed by the Royal Family. The guy who chose C is someone I’d describe as utterly rational. Just goes to show.

That sentence alone says it all right there. For those unfamiliar with Mr. Icke, he’s an ex-footballer famous for his theory that both George Bushes and Queen Elizabeth (among many other world leaders) are actually malevolent reptillian aliens in disguise. (Just like the miniseries V, if anybody remembers that.)

(e) Died for our sins. As with Kennedy, the fatal bolt came…from above. (Cue starfields and theramin music.)

This is similar to the example of a mirage from Indian philosophy, which is real in one sense (as a mirage) but not in another (as water). WWE is real in many ways (as a corporation, as a kind of ballet for fat guys), but not in the sense of being a genuine sport. Since both it and its fans have long ago given up the pretense that the “wrestlers” are actually wrestling, then one can hardly accuse the WWE of dishonesty, any more than stage magicians.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Conspiracy theorist = gullible moron who is willfully ignorant in order to provide himself with a perverse form of entertainment.

Psychiatric studies need to be made on the internet era conspiracy theorist. People who willingly put aside common sense and believe in people like Alex Jones or ‘above top secret’ (oooh, lala, some internet dork has the REAL scoop). There is something in the human condition that conspiracy nonsense brings to life with certain people, perhaps a need to separate themselves from the masses, to make themselves feel more knowledgeable or less ‘sheep’ like? A willing desire to mold everything into their new false reality where every news story is a result of something is calculated and cunning, yet only them and their ilk are keenly aware of it all.

What a bunch of head in the clouds nonsense!

Here is just a few conspiracy theories that turned out to be true. Straight off the top of my head.

Over throw of Iran’s Government by CIA.
Northwoods
Over throw of Allende
Iran-Contra Affair
Bank of Credit and Commerce International Scandal
CIA Drug running Air America
Gulf of Tonkin
Watergate

You drop deuce on yourself.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Conspiracy theorist = gullible moron who is willfully ignorant in order to provide himself with a perverse form of entertainment.

What a bunch of head in the clouds nonsense!

Here is just a few conspiracy theories that turned out to be true. Straight off the top of my head.

Over throw of Iran’s Government by CIA.
Northwoods
Over throw of Allende
Iran-Contra Affair
Bank of Credit and Commerce International Scandal
CIA Drug running Air America
Gulf of Tonkin
Watergate

You drop deuce on yourself.

I happen to like Ventura on a political level, but he lost much of my respect for that cash-fueled excuse for a TV show.

[quote=“superking”]Ah yes. So the poll was…

Do you believe Princess Diana:
a) Was killed by MI6?
b) Was killed by business rivals of al-Fayed?
c) Faked her own death and is still alive?
d) Died in an accident caused by drunk driving and being chased?
e) Something else?
No need to explain your theory. Just write down a letter.[/quote]
Q: The Queen is Dead. Long Live the Queen!