Jesus is anything you want him to be

You can make an argument either way. It’s a semantic quibble.

Historians refer to that area as “Palestine,” even when referring to events that happened before the place got that name.

People refer to pre-Columbian America as America, even though Amerigo Vespucci is Italian.

My church has issued a statement on Christ saying, “he walked the streets of Palestine.”

1 Like

Take it up with @Ducked. He thinks it’s bleedin’ obvious.

@Ducked I don’t understand you half the time. What’s bleeding obvious?

The historical semetic Jew we call Jesus is not a modern day Muslim Arab. There are some also obvious crossovers, such as geographical location and (to those so inclined), genealogy.

Please correct me if I’ve misunderstood you, @Ducked

1 Like

Pretty much. Its also, as pointed out, a semantic quibble as to whether you use modern terminology to describe area or not. Palestine seems a legitimate modern geographical descriptor, Judea is probably a legitimate historical descriptor.

I seriously doubt that many Palestinian Arabs are denying that Jesus was Jewish, but if they are, then thats bleedin obviously silly enough to ignore. Bleedin obviously he wasn’t Israeli either.

The linked article says “we need to dispel that myth forever”. No we don’t. Doesnt matter a damn.

3 Likes

Not really necessary. You could take it up with yourself.

It clearly matters a damn to some people. Thus they claim Jesus was a Palestinian Jew. Your disagreeing with this opinion is fine with me.

Otherwise it wouldn’t have been posted :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We’ve only had @QuaSaShao supporting Jesus being Jewish and Palestinian so far. I find it an interesting argument and not bleeding obvious, but that’s just my questionable self.

There is an argument to be made, since the people living there and owning property in 1948 almost certainly had some lineage there stretching back 2000 years.

But that’s assuming Jesus was a real dude who really came from there. And if he really was the son of some god, as some proclaim, wouldn’t that take some kind of precedence over the address of the manger?

1 Like

Did he exist? Who was he? If so where his place of birth is relevant? So many questions.

Apparently it’s bleeding obvious.

And what were the preferred pronouns? Was he a xe?

I don’t know. Is Jesus upper case He/Him?

1 Like

That’s not obvious either. That area was called Judea and Samaria in the New Testament. Samaria was the capital of the Northern Kingdom of Israel.

Technically, Jesus was from the tribe of Judah, so I wouldn’t call him Israeli.

1 Like

I’d hazard a guess that it’s not certain who Jesus was. He definitely wasn’t a dour Scotsman. I’d place money on that.

3 Likes
1 Like

Somebody, somewhere, has written a PhD thesis proving that he was.

The sect, which calls itself “the con-gregation”

:laughing:

Most historians do agree Jesus was a real person. The amount of historical evidence for someone over 2000 years ago is overwhelming considering we consider other historical figures as real on even less sources.

There’s also been a lot of pro Palestinians saying Mary and Joseph were Palestinians to criticize Israel. But they were Jews even if they were from what is considered modern Palestinian territory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/12/22/if-joseph-and-mary-tried-to-reach-bethlehem-today-they-might-get-murdered-by-palestinian-terrorists/

1 Like

5 Likes

There’s more evidence Jesus existed than Julius Caesar.

1 Like