Jet skis

rk1951 was right. jet skis are pain in the ass!
well, one person stand type was fun to ride. go for that one if you really want a jet skis.
the sit type was big and heavy, if you have only 2 person don,t ever think you can get it on the pick up or small truck after you have fun. :no-no:
i know it!! coz i use to ride jet skis…

[quote=“marboulette”]

Tommy’s right. Sailing is more fun…

marboulette[/quote]

Windsurfing is also more fun, unless there are assholes on jetskis in the vicinity.

[quote]
I think hitch towing (or any kind of towing for that matter) is illegal on Taiwan’s roads except for those big old container trucks and specialized tow trucks. If you want to move motorcycles or jetskis around, you’re going to need a big pickup or a small flatbed truck to do it. "[/quote]

I’ve been told this too, and you see hardly any trailers around which does tend to confirm it.

I HAVE seen jetskis on trailers a few times in Tainan/Anping, but they were probably just chancing it on a short trip.

More puzzlingly, I came across an article in a Taiwanese motoring magazine which featured towed caravans, photographed on sites in Taiwan. I couldn’t read the article, but it seems slightly unlikely that someone would make an investment on that scale and visibility unless there was some special dispensation for legally towing the thing.

Trailers can be towed legally. They have to be legally imported and have some sort of homologation in order to do so. I’m pretty sure that Taiwan recognizes international standards on trailer construction.
In practice, the cops don’t seem to give a shit. I towed an unlicensed trailer around for years without one incident.

So there we have it. Now all I need to do is get a tow ball welded onto the plastic bumper of my family car and we’re away!

I used to have access to a jetski at one time. It was fun but as others point out, when you run them in the ocean you do spend a lot of time at the end of the day rinsing the seawater off everything, especially from the cooling system.
It did occur to me later that it might be more fun to take it to one of the big lakes like Tsengwen Reservoir. There don’t seem be any boaters or windsurfers to annoy there, and day-end chores are much lighter when operating in fresh water.

Sit-down skis get boring very quickly and take some muscle to get in or out of the water in lieu of a proper boat ramp.

Just an idea.

There is no need for the mess of a real jetski with the ultra-realistic Championship Jet Ski Simulator:

[quote=“redwagon”]I used to have access to a jetski at one time. It was fun but as others point out, when you run them in the ocean you do spend a lot of time at the end of the day rinsing the seawater off everything, especially from the cooling system.
It did occur to me later that it might be more fun to take it to one of the big lakes like Tsengwen Reservoir. There don’t seem be any boaters or windsurfers to annoy there, and day-end chores are much lighter when operating in fresh water.

Sit-down skis get boring very quickly and take some muscle to get in or out of the water in lieu of a proper boat ramp.

Just an idea.[/quote]

Surely not allowed on A RESERVOIR? I’m assuming a drinking water rather than purely HEP reservoir, which seems likely in Taiwan. That’s probably why there are no boaters or windsurfers (or swimmers?) to annoy. Its not as if you could slip in stealthily, SBS-stylee.

Unless you get an electric one.

Preferably submersible.

Or, If you need the speed

Hmm…How many depth charges could I fit on a windsurfer? :ponder:

Why would one ever want to ride a scooter on the ocean? Doesn’t one get enough of that in town?

[quote=“redwagon”]Trailers can be towed legally. They have to be legally imported and have some sort of homologation in order to do so. I’m pretty sure that Taiwan recognizes international standards on trailer construction.
In practice, the cops don’t seem to give a shit. I towed an unlicensed trailer around for years without one incident.[/quote]

This is interesting. I’m allergic to jetskis, but I’d like to be able to move other stuff, perhaps including a boat, and a trailer might be a partial truck substitute.

OTOH, since they are rarer than hens teeth here I assume one would have to import one specially, or make one, perhaps importing the hitch and overun brake mechanism. Both those options seem likely to be expensive.

In the UK an old caravan (trailer home to Americans?) can be had for buttons and the frame, suitably decked and reinforced, can be used for a cargo trailer. Nothing like that here AFAIK