Jewelry 101

I love jewelry and thought a thread should be dedicated to it. I now a lot of guys like buying little trinkets for the women in their lives, or at least appreciate the baubles they wear and some cool dudes wear some too. Ladies, of course usually own at least one sentimental piece, and most have a collection of some sort.
What is your favourite piece?? What style do you like? What materials? Where to buy? Who made it? Who gave it to you? What did you give to someone else? What do you hold dear? do you have a lucky charm? What do you find ridiculous? Tell me everything, gimme photos. :smiley:

Edit : Watches are definitely jewelry, but not those cell phone sticker blingies please!

My fave piece of jewelry is the three carat diamond solitaire ring that I don’t have yet. Ha.

I have a large ruby/24 c ring that my son’s great grandfather gave me, and a jade bracelet, also from my son’s family, that I keep for “sake.” That’s about it, really. Although I love jewelry, I don’t have much.

Oh, but I do love to make beaded jewelry and have several pieces I’ve made for myself. I sold a lot of it when I first came back here, but don’t really have time for it any more.

I love watches - do they count?
I have an early model Mont Blanc automatic, use a Rolex Explorer 2 (Steel with white face) for every day use, and seem to have misplaced a 1940s wind up Omega that came with a brown leather strap white face and gold dial.

My wife loves diamonds but I haven’t bought her many. Her favorite is the 1.1K GIA VS2 G color that we bought for our engagement.

So now I top up the house insurance and wait for the burglary right? :popcorn:

Definitely :slight_smile:

No but you are now officially ordained as a chick magnet. :smiley:

I have a whole traditional old lady jade set, you know, the little balls of jade, not a single piece. The earrings were a gift from my father’s best friend -Chinese of course- along with a jade bangle which I broke many years later. Then a friend who had guanxi at Lucoral gave me a matching bracelet and necklace as a thank you for helping her with her Spanish. These are my favorite and most well-worn pieces.

My mother used to have a cat’s eye silver bracelet. I bought a similar one when I came here, then got teh earrings, and I have completed the set with a necklace and ring from India.

Last time I was home Mom decided to part with some of her jewelry -she thought it would be safer here with me, and anyways, she is not wearing it anymore. Of the stuff I brought, my favorite is a pendant with a pearl in the middle, surrounded by tiny emeralds. She had bought it in Colombia back in the 70s. Pity I don’t wear those things, either. :laughing:

From my father, I have a jade “cachito”, which was like the symbol of macho-ness back when I was little.

HC I’d love to see that ring! Icon, sorry but I had no idea you had Taiwanese lineage (do you?). I only have one piece of my mother’s jewelry, what she wears now is minimum and all that she once got in her dowry either broke, or was sold or was exchanged for new. The earrings that I have, were what she wore on her wedding day. Chandelier, 22ct gold, hand made (no machine jewelry in the 70’s) and ending a ring of pearls. I wear it as much as I can. I also got a charm bracelet made for my daughter in China coz she was born there, and the silver bracelet has these charms which are spaced by lantern shaped pearls ; qi pao, cage with a bird, money box, wine holder (traditional), etc. I just love it!

As a treat for suffering through two years of gradschool in Philthydelphia, I got my wife a nice pearl necklace and earings.

For myself, I have a set of mother-of-pearl and diamond studs from my great-great grandfather. Back then the fashion was to cut the diamond so they don’t sparkle as much, so they’re not too over the top.

My MIL gave me a thick red-gold necklace that I’ve not taken off since I got married. It’s a bit guido’ish, but I’ve worn it so long, I can’t take it off now.

[quote=“Elegua”]
My MIL gave me a thick red-gold necklace that I’ve not taken off since I got married. It’s a bit guido’ish, but I’ve worn it so long, I can’t take it off now.[/quote]

Mine promised me one, and I’d wear it but it never materialised - should I read anything into that?

Sorry, my SON’s family are Taiwanese.

From my mom, I have one ring that I like, gold with amber in the setting. I don’t wear that one because I can’t wear gold much if it isn’t 24k.

And I have a pearl necklace that I wear more than anything else.

Oh, and how could I have forgotten the costume jewelry necklace with a flip-flop pendant that my son gave me–on one knee with a marriage proposal!

[quote=“Edgar Allen”][quote=“Elegua”]
My MIL gave me a thick red-gold necklace that I’ve not taken off since I got married. It’s a bit guido’ish, but I’ve worn it so long, I can’t take it off now.[/quote]

Mine promised me one, and I’d wear it but it never materialised - should I read anything into that?[/quote]

Dunno…probably not. How are relations? If you asked, it might materialize. It could also be sitting somewhere, “kept”, for you since someone decided you wouldn’t want to wear it.

i’d give an arm and a leg for mine.
Elegua do you wear those studs???

Yup. Though not many occasions for black-tie.

Which reminds me, I amassed a huge collection of cuff links for the husband, from Amber, mother of pearl, onyx, dragons, you name it. Really good stuff. Alas, his tailored shirts have all worn off and the ones he buys here don’t have a that kind of a cuff. I’ll turn them all into ear rings if he keeps them unused :laughing:

I played my first poker tournament and won it. NT$16 000. The wife took the money and had a ring made for each of us. I love my ring. She also made me a jade necklace of my Chinese horoscope sign (small dragon), which I cherish.

Oh, and I love my cheap Bangkok bracelets and my cheap South African copper ones.

I hope you all have good, strong, heavy lockboxes that a thief can’t easily carry away. Residential burglary is a big crime here. Some Indian friends of mine had all their jewelry taken, including a large amount of gold which was part of their wedding gifts.

Who says we are not making all of this up??

JP, I love my BKK trinkets.

Which reminds me, I amassed a huge collection of cuff links for the husband, from Amber, mother of pearl, onyx, dragons, you name it. Really good stuff. Alas, his tailored shirts have all worn off and the ones he buys here don’t have a that kind of a cuff. I’ll turn them all into ear rings if he keeps them unused :laughing:[/quote]

Use it or lose it. Fair game if he doesn’t have the shirts.

[quote=“Elegua”][quote=“Edgar Allen”][quote=“Elegua”]

Mine promised me one, and I’d wear it but it never materialised - should I read anything into that?[/quote]

Dunno…probably not. How are relations? If you asked, it might materialize. It could also be sitting somewhere, “kept”, for you since someone decided you wouldn’t want to wear it.[/quote]

Very good point! I will mention it this weekend. I know who the someone would be!

Bank safeboxes. Of course, do not keep the keys at home.

ps.
plus I have nosy neighbors, 24 hour watch…