[JFRV] No Work Permit Needed .... law Change (May 2003)

I think that this topic applies to more than one forum.

I am an American, just married to a Taiwanese National. I have been talking to a few people (Namely Richard, and the local Foreign Affairs Police here in Taichung) and the information that I have and understand for ANYONE (Regardless of where you are from) if you get married to a Taiwan National is this:

After you meet the requirements for actually getting married (These vary a little from country to country … and this is not the topic I am talking about since I am married now and already went thru all of that business - I actually got married here in Taichung and am not planning on “Getting married” in the USA since the USA recognizes foreign marriages with no problems) So, once you actually are legally married to a Taiwan National, as of MID MAY 2003 ? you, as a foreigner - are now allowed to work in Taiwan - period - No JFRV, no work visa from any employer, no personal work permit, etc

Here’s the scoop

According to the new revised Article 48 of the Employment Services Act (Which changed as of mid-May 2003 - This year - If you are married to a local national and have permanent residency rights
based on that marriage - then you no longer fall into the Article 51 Category and NO LONGER NEED A WORK PERMIT or VISA to work in Taiwan.

I did not apply for any special JFRV - as I get the impression that they no longer exist. From this document there are now two kinds of work permits in Taiwan. A “Personal Work Permit” and an “Employer based work permit” and you need neither of them - or any work permit if you are married to a local national and have permanent residency rights based on that marriage.

This information also reinforces the information that I got when I was applying for and picking up my ARC (I asked BOTH times and got the same answer BOTH times) - I told them I wanted to live and work here with no restrictions and no employer based work permit. - The 1st time I was there, the guy went into the back to talk to someone with more updated information I suspect - and he came back and he simply stated to me that After I got my ARC, I could work in Taiwan. - I said, that’s it… He said yes - “Things just recently changed”

The second time I was there (Picking up my ARC) I asked them again ? different person and shockingly, the same answer … Yes, you can now work in Taiwan, you need nothing more to work in Taiwan … I asked when this information changed ? the lady said, “This year” she did not know what month.

Si this supports the information of Article 48 of the Employment Services Act.

Here is the link:

taiwanadvice.com/forms/worktai.htm

So, I pose the question to the forum … Is this information true?

Can people that are married to Taiwan Nationals and have permanent residency rights based on that marriage now freely work in Taiwan without any kind of Work Permit, Work Visa, Personal work visa etc???

Thanks in advance

Randy Bennett

As far as I know, yeah.

Weird isn’t it?

In any case Hartzell’s your man. If he says so then there’s really no need asking the rest of us. Though I understand why you would.

Enjoy the smidgeon of freedom your spouse would no doubt enjoy if she was in your home country.

Next step, power to vote. I wanna get me some of those special payments.

HG

First you get the Joining Family Resident Visa (based on marriage). Then you have to get your ARC within 15 days, and obviously that will be based on marriage.

Then you have free work rights.

Richard - (Or Any kind soul out there who has more information than me… which is probably most of you)

How do I know if I have a JFRV - what document do I need to look at - and what should I look for?

Thanks

Randy

Hello!!! Why was my post deleted.

I wasn’t aware that the mod. could just invent new rules about posting without any notice. Censorship:roll: has hit forumosa. :wink:

I may not have posted anything more than what other posters had already stated but that is NO reason for deleting the post. NO rules were broken at all.

Someone got an itchy delete finger? :unamused: I can see a few other posts have vanished too. What is the story? :smiling_imp:

it’s here boss:
http://forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=11143&highlight=

(Randy: by opening ulti0ple identical threads, you fragment all subsequent replies making the information harder to find.)

Sorry if I am doing something wrong - my forum knowledge is not what it shoud be I’m sure - I know that I posted my initial topic in a couple of different forums, just because I thought it was relivant to differnt groups (Marriage, Working issues etc)

If this was opening multiple identical ‘threads’, I am sorry - I will post only one topic in the future.

Regarding my last question, do you know how I can check to see if I have the JFRV or not?

Thanks

have you tried looking at the visa in your passport?

Yes - but not only does it say “USED” (As if it is no longer needed and i am now suppose to be coming and going on my ARC and re-entry permit) - but nowhere on it says JFRV - It does say “resident”

I have my ARC, I have my re-entry permit and i have this visa.

Here is a link - please take a look at it and tell me what you think

vogdesigns.com/visa/Bennett-visa.jpg

if you’re on a JFRV, on your ARC it will have a notation of your Taiwan spouse’s name.

Thank you so much - i do have that information on my ARC - i guess i’m set.

However, i am still perplexed about this “VISA” thing -
Isn’t a ‘visa’ a document that allows you to travel in and out of the country - if that is the case, then it seems that the Re-entry permit is acting as the ‘visa’ and the ARC is acting as the ‘working permit’

My ARC I thought was my work permit - I mean, if the ARC was a visa, then #1 why don’t they call it a visa or put “VISA anywhere on it” and #2 - why don’t they ask to see your ARC card when you are leaving or entering the country (I asked my business partner if they ever asked to see his ARC card when he was coming or going - he said, “not once” he has had an ARC (employer based) for the past 6 years. He said they only ask to see his Re-entry permit that’s in his passport - that’s it.

Still a bit confused

You have a JFRV through marriage to a Taiwanese national and your spouse’s name is on it. BTW, are you happy putting all that info on the net for all to see ?

[quote=“Boss Hogg”]Hello!!! Why was my post deleted.

I wasn’t aware that the mod. could just invent new rules about posting without any notice. Censorship:roll: has hit forumosa. :wink:

I may not have posted anything more than what other posters had already stated but that is NO reason for deleting the post. NO rules were broken at all.

Someone got an itchy delete finger? :unamused: I can see a few other posts have vanished too. What is the story? :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Ooops, now I see that Randy fragmented my brain. Damn it, it has enough holes already.

Moderator’s note: I didn’t delete any of your posts. Maybe it was an administrator. However, I think they would not delete a post without a good reason . . . . . . unless it was a “multiple posting”, contained excessively vile language, obviously belonged in the FLAME FORUM, was totally off topic and hence was an insult to the democratic principles of the “new left”, was overly brief and contained no meaningful content, thus wasting unnecessary bandwith . . . . . etc., etc.

[quote]However, I am still perplexed about this “VISA” thing -
Isn’t a ‘visa’ a document that allows you to travel in and out of the country - if that is the case, then it seems that the Re-entry permit is acting as the ‘visa’ and the ARC is acting as the ‘working permit’

My ARC I thought was my work permit - I mean, if the ARC was a visa, then #1 why don’t they call it a visa or put “VISA anywhere on it” and #2 - why don’t they ask to see your ARC card when you are leaving or entering the country (I asked my business partner if they ever asked to see his ARC card when he was coming or going - he said, “not once” he has had an ARC (employer based) for the past 6 years. He said they only ask to see his Re-entry permit that’s in his passport - that’s it.
[/quote]

There’s really four parts to what you many people think an ‘ARC’ is.

First you’ve got your visa which is what you get to allow you to enter or remain int he country. If you’re married to a Taiwanese you get the Joining Family Residence Visa (JFRV) which means your reason for remaining in Taiwan is to be with your Taiwanese spouse. Soemone who’s teaching English will have one becuase they’re working. The expiry date means when you have to use it (to enter the country by) and with a visitor’s visa there’s a duration of stay (30 dyas or 60 days). With JFRV and ‘work’ visa there’s no duration of stay, but it expires when your ARC expires.

Second is the re-entry permit, which you get from the police when you get your ARC. This allows you to leave and re-enter the country. Apparently sometimes people have managed not to get this. That is usually an oversight on the part of the police.

Third is the Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) which acts as an ID card while you’re in Taiwan and shows the date your residence is valid until.

Finally, if you’re working you need a work permit, which is a sheet of paper for the ministry you’re working with, or an Open Work Permit from the Council of Labor Affairs. Now, if you’re married to a Taiwanese citizen and have the JFRV, and accompanying ARC, you don’t need that anymore.

Brian

Well, some people are lucky, or so it seems. I have been asked for my ARC everytime I re-enter Taiwan with my re-entry permit. No ARC - no entry

Brian - thank sfor the insight - but I ask -

What does this JFRV visa look like - is it a stamp in the passport like other visas?

yes. It’s stuck in the passport like any other visa. You’ve got one. (the scanned visa you posted last week was one)

but - it says “USED” on it - doesn’t that mean … well… used and no longer valid?

it remains valid as long as your ARC is valid. If you allow your ARC to expire, you’ll have to get a new visa.

The ‘USED’ refers to it being used to enter (or renew your residence in) the country. There is also a duration of stay. This’ll be full of ****s. That means it’s valid until your ARC expires.

Of course you need your ARC too, but if you don’t havew the reentry permit, your ARC won’t get you in.

Brian