Job offer teaching

That’s cool and completely understandable.

I’d still finish your degree first - if you never return back to Aus, you never have to pay back your HELP (unless they catch you working in Taiwan, but then the whole double taxation thing comes in).

1 Like

If the spouse to be will earn enough wage for their comfortable life and retirement in Taiwan, conbining with OP’s English teaching job, OP might not need to get a degree.

1 Like

Indeed. The thing about education is the people who work in it tend to be a bit into educational qualifications. The schools that will readily employ teachers who don’t have any qualifications aren’t likely to be the best places to work.

2 Likes

A bunch of replies here are commenting that you should finish your degree in case you decide to go back to Australia, but I actually think that you would be screwing yourself up the arse with Taiwan even more than Australia. I’ve never seen a country that is so obsessed with the perceived value of a degree as Taiwan. Not only would you seriously be restricting your career prospects to not have one, but people in general will stick their noses up at you. They don’t have the same mentality we have of valuing real-life experience more than qualifications in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Just imagine if i did not return to Australia,

You will return to Australia. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What makes you think so?

A foreigner with bachelor’s degree from an Australian University and with passable Chinese or a foreigner with no degree with passable Chinese may be a big difference, if you want to get a white collar job other than English teaching at buxibans. To get a job with a better pay than English teaching is a difficult task, though, unless you are very good at connecting or something else.

G’day mate,

Another Ozzie here.

As far as I’m aware, a Bachelor’s degree isn’t required in order to get the ARC. However, as people mention above, finishing your basic degree is probably a good idea regardless of whether you plan on returning to Australia (although you can find an ESL job in Taiwan without a degree, you’ll have much less freedom to choose better schools and better paid positions).

Many Australian unis have off-campus enrollment options. Depending on how far into your degree you were, could you perhaps enroll off-campus (or transfer to another uni with off-campus enrollment options) and finish your degree as an off-campus student while living in Taiwan?

1 Like

Finish your degree +1