Jobs teaching students that actually want to learn?

You’re actually a glorified nanny.

3 Likes

Basically, which is the opposite of what I want lol. I would prefer actually teaching. I seriously thought my current school was “different” but NOPE.

I’d suggest a job at somewhere like GEOS or Global Village. Low pay, low expectations, and very little managerial oversight, so you can basically teach whatever you want. These types of schools follow a gym-type membership system (i.e. pay a flat rate and attend as many classes as you like), so students tend to be less nitpicky. Supplement this with a higher paid part-time job (i.e. a kids school) and you’re laughing.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll look into it. :blush:

Not if you know what you’re talking about :joy:

Who?

19 to 64, content and language. Depending on what other people do maybe I can adapt

This is arguably true of everyone who teaches the kiddies

1 Like

[quote=“TT, post:29, topic:220206, full:true”]

You’re using balloons with adults? That’s kindy stuff, man. Do you get them to hit flashcards with squeaky hammers, too?

1 Like

It’s not true. I always have at least a couple students in every age group that wants to learn. I’ve found adults to be the best as far as motivation but there are still adult students that don’t want to participate even though they are paying for it which I find weird but hey that’s their choice

1 Like

Well by nature adults will be easier to motivate because they did pay for it. Those who aren’t probably didn’t pay for it (as in family forced them to go and paid). I mean honestly if I didn’t like a lesson I sure as hell wouldn’t keep paying for it…

Of course there are always a couple. Plus even if they don’t want to learn they love seeing me. Like I mentioned above one of my favorite student loves asking questions and talking.

This is what I mean ^

I have taught at cram schools in poor, average, and wealthy areas, and there have always been (and always will be, I believe) three types of student: those who are highly-motivated, the average ones, and the wasters. Doesn’t matter if they are at fancy private schools or shitty public ones, it’s the same.

What differentiates cram schools, ultimately, is the work environment created by the owners, and my advice is to focus on that rather than dream pleasant dreams of classes full of perfect students.

Re making your classes better, as time has gone on I have become more assertive and, in my latest job, kept applying pressure until a student whose behavior was intolerable was shipped off to another teacher. That’s a method you might consider.

5 Likes

But adults frequently wish to learn for work purposes, which can be even more tedious. I taught one woman whose only concern was the marketing of contact lens solution… Also, adults cancel far more frequently than children, which is why I stopped tutoring them.

I bet your colleague was happy about that.

He didn’t mind a bit, a very laid-back Canadian dude.

1 Like

This!

Tape them to your genitals. Bring darts.

2 Likes

So many lies in this thread. To address a few:

1. There is no greater push for remote learning in schools. Teachers hate it, kids hate it, and, most importantly, parents hate it.
  2. Kid absolutely “want” to learn. Receiving new information is basically their full-time occupation. Tell a kid something they don’t know and look at the expression on their face. Then, the next time you see them, ask them a question about the thing you told them and see if they’re interested to tell you about it.
  3. Being a teacher isn’t about making learning fun, it’s about making kids… learn. (see point 2)

Of course, none of this applies to cram schools. But I thought everyone in a cram school knew what they were letting themselves in for…?

4 Likes

No, I’m asking how other people use balloons in case I can find a way to adapt for my classes. I only use flashcards in a teacher training course where that comes up in one in the chapters

1 Like