Jobs teaching students that actually want to learn?

That’s not exactly what i said, if you’re attempting to paraphrase me you missed the point. Should i say it with flashcards?

3 Likes

Or some variation thereof. :idunno:

1 Like

Funny, I agree with your second point but vehemently disagree with this point. No reason you can’t make learning fun and valuable at the same time. Obviously fun is subjective so not everyone will have fun learning it, but you can make it fun for the vast majority which will improve motivation for learning even if that doesn’t necessarily predict short term increases in test scores

3 Likes

Just need to correct this. ADHD is neurological disorder, it’s not societal. Kids probably have worse attention spans than before because of phones, but that is nothing to do with ADHD. I don’t think there has been a rise in ADHD sufferers, we are just learning to diagnose it better

1 Like

Or overly diagnose it.

1 Like

I had this happen recently. Used a hose to transfer water from the sink to a bucket. Used this to show kids how plants use this same method to move water from the roots to the leaves.

Their faces. Their attention. It was awesome.

School won’t let me teach this class any longer. They explained that the kids don’t need me to lecture them.

Class of 4 year olds.

2 Likes

3 Likes

It’s an order of priority thing. Of course it can be fun and valuable at the same time, but value takes priority over fun. The problem is when people focus on the fun first and then try and crowbar in the learning. Or try and trick kids into learning and say things like “they didn’t even realise they were learning”.

Well, I just learned something. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t mean to imply it was societal, I just kinda lumped it into other challenges teachers/students face in class these days. I have had several autistic students in my classes over the past few years, also Tourette syndrome. Depression is common and we’ve had self-harm incidents and worse. From what I’ve seen there has been a rise in many mental health problems, it’s like it’s in the water, though better diagnosis is happening. I’m sure other teachers on this board are seeing this too. These are all challenges for students and teachers and gets in the way of “wanting to learn”, the original topic of this thread.

But apart from that, the majority of high school and uni students I see these days are pretty disengaged from academics. There are many bright kids who are engaged but not most. Everyone’s attention spans have suffered, first with Facebook and now more so with short term fixes like Twitter and Tic Tok. Teachers don’t “notify” students with a “bling” sound so it’s harder to get their attention. High school freshmen have to holster their phones in a phone holder in our classes and they still have a hard time concentrating. The moment you let them grab them it’s on to online games and social media. The only time I see kids reading books is when they have a vocabulary quiz coming up. I shouldn’t say only because once in a while I do see a kid with a novel but it’s unusual.

It was mentioned that teachers use games in a disparaging way upthread but I think games can be useful if there is a learning outcome planned and some way to measure it.

This. Another problem is that the education model here is still pigus on the seats and老师讲学生听. Doing something creative in class can be seen as a waste of time. Gotta lecture ‘em ad nauseam then test ‘em, that’ll learn ‘em. It’s really no wonder kids have a negative attitude toward class learning, they are so often bored to death from the get go. Though I do pass by some classes and see teachers who seem to do a good job of engaging the class. But more often I pass by classes with students in the back of the room sleeping or on their precious cell phones while the teacher is going on in the front of the room.

1 Like

I have a class of 12 where 3 children have all been diagnosed with ADHD. I also teach another class of 12 where 2 children have ADHD and one of those also has Aspergers.

A third class has a child who suffered some Physical injuries from his father.

2 Likes

Just want to point out that psychological disorders are usually not purely neurological. They always have neurological implications, but it doesn’t mean that neurological damage or impairment causes them. Oftentimes, neurological changes are a symptom rather than the cause (though there is some debate especially for those in the neuroscience fields). Usually though, it’s a combination of environmental and physiological causes. That’s why therapy can treat most disorders and why it often requires a combination of therapy and medicine for severe cases.

4 Likes

The most amazing thing in this post to me is that you have classes of 12.

Yeah, Asperger, that’s another one I didn’t think of. I’ve had a couple of kids with that.

As in child abuse? If so, I sincerely hope you/your school reported it to the authorities.

1 Like

Haha literally this

Btw thank you to people who gave me actual advice or said they understand. I vent on here because I know people have been here longer and some have even higher level of degree than me. It’s frustrating when people come to the conclusion they should be rude for no reason. My posts aren’t ever about people on here in a negative light lol.

2 Likes

Please explain?

@TT Could you maybe have put each quote and response in 1 post instead of 4 separate posts?

The vulnerability-stress model is well known (and routinely ignored) by most mental health practitioners in Taiwan. Unfortunately, psychiatrists tend to emphasize psychopharmacological approaches, often completely ignoring other therapeutic interventions. While I’m no fan of CBT (at all), there have been some studies where cognitive approaches have shown some positive outcomes. However, if you want it fast and easy, push the pills.

The practice of psychiatry in Taiwan, at least according to those practitioners I know (and/or have collaborated with personally), is overburdened. Those practitioners who deal with paediatric or adolescent clients are particularly over-booked. Barely enough time to check whether or not the meds are, relatively speaking, working before refilling the script. Needless to say, training tends towards a deterministic mindset, with an emphasis on neuropathology over more holistic (ecological) approaches.

Ironically, the parents I’ve known who have decided to seek help when their child is facing difficulties are both a) afraid of the stigma of having a psychiatric evaluation on their child’s “NHI record” and b) skeptical of clinical psychologists (since they’re not “real” doctors). Thus, the vicious cycle is only strengthened… Parents want a neurobiological interpretation, doctors are trained to treat with psychopharmacological treatments, and everyone is happy (except the child struggling with situational/ environmental risk factors, including the stigmas related to their diagnosis). Well, in this context, nobody has to take the blame :pensive:

1 Like

Hard to do long posts on my phone

2 Likes

Get a 60 = minimum passing grade. Pass the classes, get your diploma. Move on to the next phase of life.

1 Like

I find that mental health in almost every countries, except maybe those Nordic countries, is an “out of sight, out of mind” type of solution. Get rid of the crazies, either give them enough pills to shut them up, or if they do something crazy and becomes a menace, lock them up and throw away the keys, or kill them.

Maybe they are secret Scientologists. If they are afraid to have drugs prescribed to their kids, there could be lots of money in $500 audits here.