Joe Biden: U.S. President

How are you going to hire managers? Wouldn’t everyone need to agree who these managers are? And therefore hold an election to do that, and therefore you are describing the exact system we have now.

How much more substantive are the current allegations against Biden than the ones against Trump on collusion or Kavanaugh of sexual impropriety? 2 times? 5 times? 10 times?

I’m not saying it’s all true, but there is a lot more there than the obviously false (and now completely debunked) claims against Trump and the laughable allegations against Kavanaugh. Yet the media is in full “protect Biden at all costs” mode. At a certain point, you’d think that the media will have to report on this seriously and honestly or completely kill their credibility and integrity.

https://news.yahoo.com/hunter-biden-business-partner-confirms-132058268.html

2 Likes

What we have today is a far cry from the central government envisioned by even the Federalists.

But yeah, I’m sure John Adams, Alexander Hamilton, etc. would have been open to a Chinese-style government because pandemics.

Who said anything about a Chinese style government? A federal response to any crisis instead of deflecting all responsibility to the states does not mean you have to convert into a pseudo-communist centrally planned economy. Taiwan had a strong federal response and I wouldn’t like them to the Chinese government.

If it doesn’t, then his lawyer committed fraud by asking for it back.

Taiwan is a small island nation with a population of 23 million people, 1/3 of whom live in the Taipei–Keelung metropolitan area. It has one major, highly trafficked international airport.

Comparing Taiwan to the US is to put it mildly, unrealistic.

2 Likes

Take any other country besides China that handled the virus well. The recurring theme is not a centrally planned economy but a strong federal response.

It’s very difficult to compare countries on an apples to apples basis. There are major differences in population density, government structure, traffic from air travel, and even how much countries have tested for the virus and attributed deaths to it.

The pandemic isn’t over. We’re seeing countries that were praised for their responses get hit with second and third waves. We don’t know how many people will die over the long term because of the harsh restrictions that some countries have enacted which have prevented people from getting treatments for other conditions and diagnostic health screenings, have caused economic hardship and mental illness, etc.

And we still don’t know how many people have actually been infected by this virus. The WHO estimates that as much as 10% of the world’s population has already been infected. That’s 20x the confirmed number of cases. Really think China just eradicated this thing in the span of a month?

Bottom line is you’re trying to grade the paper before the test is finished.

But even so, while there are a number things I think the US federal government could have done better, it’s not just about the feds. Lots of Americans don’t want to wear masks, social distance, etc. and the US system was designed for there to be a very high bar for government to compel people to do things, especially at a federal level. While the US has been moving in the direction of a nanny/police state, it’s not there yet.

2 Likes

If that were true we could never compare countries. This is purpose of using a control and isolating for the factors you want to measure.

And the US has never done well - 1st wave, 2nd wave. For those that did well initially and are not doing well now. What changed? I think we can all come up with reasons, primarily loosening restrictions.

Did I say that?

No I’m not. If we waited until a pandemic was over to learn anything, then we’d be fucked. Who said you can’t take learnings from others while the pandemic is happening? You want to wait until it’s all said and done?

Because they have leadership that enables them. In WWII, we had mass conscription, people had their common household goods rationed, industries were required to convert for the war effort. None of this is unheard of. Seems rather conservatives have been brainwashed to think US history started in the 1980s when the ideas of defunding federal govt, supply side trickle down economics and libertarianism took root.

US history is much longer than that with competing voices on the appropriate level of federal govt from the beginning. The extremist ideology that federal response must always be limited and small regardless of the situation, doesn’t really serve anybody any good.
The answer is not small government, but right size government.

Sounds like hyperbole to drive a point. Logical fallacies, like slippery slope, do not help your argument.

Grading during the test does not mean not learning.

Since we’re talking about learning, here’s something we’re learning: this virus isn’t anywhere near as fatal as feared when word of an outbreak in Wuhan got out. So if you’re going to talk about the extent to which the federal government can compel people to do things, you should also consider whether the measures taken are appropriate for the risk.

Wow. Sounds like you believe in a new kind of MAGA! Don’t forget the internment camps.

This is not an ‘either/or’ situation. As if to say, we either control the virus or we open up the economy. You are creating a false dichotomy. The right response for the severity of the situation is what is required. Again, not a limited response a right size response tailored to specific circumstances.

And of course fatality rates will fall of deaf ears for most. Virus is also not as fatal as the beginning because we are better at fighting it. I hope you don’t think pursuing herd immunity is a practical solution. I don’t think opening the economy completely would have the desired result. No in fact damage to the economy will be much worse if hundreds of thousands more die and healthcare systems are completely overwhelmed.

Countries are already looking at banning travel to the US until 2022. A herd immunity strategy in the absence of a vaccine would ensure that goes longer.

Right because if you say that the US was effective at something during WWII, that means you’re tacitly endorsing everything the US did during that period. Come on you could do better than that.

So pray tell, what’s the solution? If you were leader of the world, what would you do? Because lots of countries are trying different approaches and they aren’t working if the measure of success is stopping the spread of this virus.

You act as if there’s some perfect solution, but don’t provide details for what it is.

Maybe the reality is that this is a highly-contagious virus that is hard to stop because it can be spread before infected people start to show symptoms and when it’s not completely asymptomatic, it more often than not causes symptoms similar to flus and colds? Humans love control, but sometimes nature reminds us that we have a lot less control than we think we do.

Uhm most countries have closed their borders or heavily restricted the entry of non-resident foreigners. Even if you’re a Taiwanese living in Taiwan, the list of countries you can travel to is a lot smaller than the countries you can travel to. This is a pandemic. Note the pan.

European countries started opening up their borders to other European countries and look how well that’s going.

Well you were the one who hearkened back to mass conscription, rationing of goods, and nationalization of industry. I’m glad you’d stop short of internment camps, although maybe you’d make an exception for people who refuse to wear masks?

To start following basic epidemiology with standard prevention and mitigation procedures, while not undermining science by holding rallies and encouraging people not to wear masks.

There are many things we can do:

1. Widespread testing - nationwide within twenty four hours. Companies and businesses that want to open up must require employees to have a negative test before coming to the office, place of business. Otherwise they can work from home. Require monthly re-tests.

2. Nationwide contact tracing - there are apps that use anonymous bluetooth data to alert everyone who is near an individual that is infected. Sign up can be voluntary, but I’d make it a requirement for getting insurance on the exchange or something like that to drive the incentive.

3. Localized lockdowns where positivity rate is above 3%. We have now reverted to this measure (positivity rate) because the virus is so widespread. However, if the more we follow the first two points the more limited lockdowns would be.

4. International and interstate travel - Require a negative covid test for plane travel nationwide and internationally.

I didn’t stop short. The two are unrelated and you are attempting to connect the two. Internment camps were based on racism and not a necessary component of fighting a war. Massive industrial mobilization is a necessary component of fighting a war. Look at WWI for the exact same reasoning.

Or perhaps you think that the free market and laissez faire capitalism will fight a war for us? Stick to the topic. Don’t attempt to distract by bringing random criticisms unrelated to the comparison.

Please cite the authority the federal government has to do all of the things you propose.

Considering federal governments are already doing some or all of the above, the burden of proof is on you. Please elaborate how the free market will do all of this with no intervention from the federal government in enough time to make a difference.

1 Like

I’m so glad you copped out.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/blog/covid-19-and-the-constitution-key-takeaways

https://www.americanbar.org/news/abanews/publications/youraba/2020/youraba-april-2020/law-guides-legal-approach-to-pandemic/

Bottom line: most of what you propose could not be enacted by the federal government because of the 10th Amendment. Some of what you propose could potentially be enacted by state and local governments in their jurisdictions, but broad and excessive measures would of course be subject to judicial oversight as has been the case in WI, MI, PA.

Ironically, something you haven’t seemed to consider is that the 10th Amendment is a good thing because it prevents an idiot commander in chief like Trump from forcing states to do what he wants. Restrictions on power cut both ways.

You seem confused about how the US system works. The Constitution does not give the federal government the authority to do whatever it wants when it feels individuals and the “free market” won’t do what it wants.

The US got through the 1918 flu pandemic without the federal government playing an authoritarian role and it will get through this pandemic as well.

2 Likes

Maybe to a sociopath this is evidence of creepy Joe. Meanwhile, the amount of attention this has gotten seems to indicate mainstream America is tired of indecency.

The resurfaced footage has been viewed more than seven million times and was met with praise from Biden supporters, like screenwriter Randi Mayem Singer, who said: “Biden was there to greet Parkland families before a speech with Gabby Giffords. He was not there while VP, nor as a presidential nominee. He was there because he’s a good, kind man who cares. Humanity.”

Meghan McCain, daughter of late politician John McCain, said: “Having a leader who openly expressed empathy, compassion and love in moments like these that will ultimately move many voters.”

https://twitter.com/GabbyGiffords/status/1306335665886552064?s=20

The candidate for those who need a hug.

At least he’s better at faking it than Bubbette.

And what a great excuse to get up close and personal with children! Which we all know he likes to do.

So sad.

Actually I did the opposite. You challenged what I would do and I responded. So you weren’t expecting I could respond to what I would do and that makes me a cop out? Think not.

Difference in 1918 is you didn’t have a leader encouraging the opposite and US deaths were one of the lowest worldwide. It’s the opposite now.

And sorry you missed the mark. Your articles focused on federal lockdown measures and the constitution. Here’s my quote:

See that keyword there? Federal government can issue guidelines and create incentives to ensure states adhere to them. They don’t have to enact a federal lockdown.

You completely ignored widespread testing and contract tracing which is covered by the defense production act, and clearly goes back to my main point of massive industrial mobilization which the federal government absolutely can do.

Didn’t say that. See my previous response.

Hyperbole again. Nationwide testing is not authoritarian.

How very convenient of you to be able to make irrelevant criticisms like internment camps and federal lockdowns and not even address the main point.

So once again, how would the free market enact widespread testing and contact tracing? Or if that is not your perspective, then what is your solution?

Or is it just there’s nothing we can do and the US fucked? Sorry I don’t resign myself to failure so easily. You challenged what I would do. I responded. You thought that was cop out. So now again, the onus is on you. What would you do?

1 Like