John Cena, Apologizing to China

I’ve never seen one. When my students rave about their favorite movie, it’s usually “Fast and Furious 7” or “Harry Potter”. Not seen one of those, either. Favorite music: Taylor Swift, Maroon 5 and K-Pop.
Jesus wept.

2 Likes

And rock ‘n’ roll died…

I asked a student the other day what his favorite artist is. He replied: “Joy Division”. I nearly had a fucking heart attack.

2 Likes

did u see the video? it was a pathetic whore fest.

2 Likes

This is ultimately a good thing. The higher the profile the groveling, the more they will get dumped on, and the more attention this kind of trash pandering will garner for the next time someone does it. It should be judged by society, this is what cancel culture exists for. :wink:

1 Like

He was probably just angling for a good grade.

2 Likes

Hollywood isn’t getting cancelled, it’s just becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of the CCP.

2 Likes

Or a mental health excuse from class. My god Joy Division is awful. Better put that kid on suicide watch.

2 Likes

Says the guy whose favorite band is a disbanded prog act. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Let’s just speak to this specific case though. If you hate what he did, you should let it be known, as should everyone else who hates it. If enough people hate it, that will have an effect. How it works, exactly like that.

Well yeah. That’s the funny thing, isn’t it? Cena must surely realise there are plenty of people in China who (at least in private) don’t buy the party line.

I suppose one possibility is that he was told by misguided Western officials to kowtow. Nothing to do with China at all.

EDIT: I see the cow hinted at something similar back there.

There’s probably a clause in Cena’s contract that stipulates abject groveling to China if it adds to the bottom line.

That’s the genius of China’s foreign policy. They’ve co-opted foreigners to do all their propaganda enforcement for them.

4 Likes

The drummer and lyricist died…have some respect!

Ian Curtis committed suicide…have some respect! :wink:

I don’t say Joy Division “disbanded”. Then again, I don’t even call them a band.

1 Like

Damn, bro…

2 Likes

The good news is that through this ordeal, I found out Harrison Ford is banned from China. …Badass.

from google:

Harrison Ford – The “Star Wars” actor has been banned from China since the early 1990s. Ford has long been an advocate for Tibetan independence and has openly criticized the Chinese government for human rights violations in the region.

And there’s a list…

Brad Pitt banned from China for starring in Seven Years in Tibet

Richard Gere banned from China for taking part in Tibetan Independence Movement

Bjork was banned for bringing up Tibetan Independence during a concert in Shanghai

Sharon Stone banned from China for saying: “I’m not happy about the way the Chinese are treating the Tibetans, because I don’t think anyone should be unkind to anyone else.” “And then all this earthquake and all this stuff happened, and then I thought, is that karma? When you’re not nice that the bad things happen to you?” Not only that, she also said in an interview with the New York Times, “I’m not going to apologize. I’m certainly not going to apologize for something that isn’t real and true – not for face creams.” (odd wording at the end but I got her point)

Miley Cyrus banned from China after making a face in a photo deemed racist, China demanded apology, then Miley argued that nothing was racist about the photo, later China announced the immediate barring of Miley Cyrus from China, also banned broadcast of her TV show, films, and sales of merchandise

Martin Scorsese banned from China for the film “Kundun”

4 Likes

As @The_Ghost said back there, if you’re famous you could have a lot of fun trolling the CCP. There ought to be some sort of unofficial competition to see who can offend them the most without being crude about it (ie., without pulling the stupid stunts that Chinese Ambassadors are prone to).

Slightly OT, but did anyone else see this?

Respect to CM punk.
I’m sure he mostly did it to stick it to cena, but he still deserves props. Some other wrestlers did the same and have since taken it down, sad.

It really shows how meaningless it is when big companies pander to BLM and sexual scandals, when it comes down to it very few people will speak up on what matters.

1 Like