Journalistic objectivity in Taiwan

Was reading the post about the Taipei Times’ editorial standards, and didn’t want to comment, cos it’s all been said.
I had a few friends who worked there, and found them and their co-workers to be the veritable 24 Hour Party People. A nice bunch.
What interests me is this: The Taipei Times is obviously a DPP paper. Sure. There are only 4 mainstream English newspapers in Taiwan, and they are obviously all partisan. Whatever happened to objective journalism and debate? I buy the Taipei Times daily (purely because I love the crossword and Sudoku), but the editorials, letters and restaurant reviews really gall me. In my 7 years of reading the TT I have never seen an objective polemic about Taiwanese politics in the letters page. Only the pro-independence rants are deemed acceptable for publication. The editorials are mundane and cliche-ridden. The restaurant reviews! Urggghhh!!! How much are you reviewers going to prostitute yourselves for free food? Never a bad word is spoken about a restaurant, and a lot of the dazzling reviews have personally led me to grim violations of even the most basic cuisine.
I am unable to read Chinese, and hence my question: Is objective journalism possible in Taiwan? Do any of the Taiwanese Chinese-language newspapers present an objective viewpoint or encourage debate?
Obviously, I realize that virtually all media runs along the lines of their owners’ political inclinations, but I have seen great discourse and argument happening freely in many papers in other countries. A paper may be right or left, but its credibility surely hinges on its openness to other viewpoints?

The Apple Daily is fair and balanced.

:laughing:

Journalistic objectivity?

That’s a contradiction in terms, even in the most civil society.

I haven’t seen it, but perhaps some Western-educated Taiwanese magnate will establish a paper with that goal someday.

An oxymoron nearly as hilarious as “political intelligence”.

Even before the decision of the editor over what to publish today, etc. etc., there needs to be a supply of unbiased objective reporters and researchers, and that just ain’t possible given the prevailing media climate and the risible education system, both through school, and more importantly, through the university system.

[quote=“jimipresley”] Is objective journalism possible in Taiwan? Do any of the Taiwanese Chinese-language newspapers present an objective viewpoint or encourage debate?
Obviously, I realise that virtually all media runs along the lines of their owners’ political inclinations, but I have seen great discourse and argument happening freely in many papers in other countries. A paper may be right or left, but its credibility surely hinges on its openness to other viewpoints?[/quote]
I know you asked about newspapers but … if you are looking for something that will give you an idea about some of the difficulties faced by local TV reporters then this blog is worth a look at.
http://mi-chanchan.blogspot.com/
You’ll find little gems like this hidden away in there.

[quote=“Michella Jade Weng”]
Did I ever mention that Legislature reporters call the Legislature “the Loonieslature?” Instead of “立法院,” they call it “瘋人院.”[/quote]

Actually, many people teaching journalism in Taiwan seem to have PhDs from some of most respected journalism & communication schools in the United States (yeah, I know - no shortage of crap reporting there either). But I think you nailed the crux of the issue…

The few reporters I’ve talked with so far seem to lay blame for the breakdown between journalistic philosophy and execution at the feet of the media owners, whose primary concerns are making money and promoting their particular political viewpoint (more true for some than others).

Somebody told me recently that it seems the goal of many rich Taiwanese is to own a newspaper or TV station. In the U.S. people envision owning land, big houses, lots of cars - here the status is owning the media, and therefore the message. Anybody know otherwise, or tend to agree with that?

As for journalistic ethics, they may be taught, but might not make it past the first day on the job. The “fourth estate” concept as an objective check against government power seems to have taken a decidedly partisan turn here (not that it ever really existed in “the West” either - newspapers have always been about making money & slamming the other guy’s viewpoint).

A few older reporters I’ve talked with also stated that they had limited formal education or training in “journalism” per se, especially with new technology changing the way news is covered and shared. Instead they are well versed in the topics they cover for their organization - say, politics, or science.

Not sure yet how younger journalists feel about the issue - how they view the role of media in a supposed democracy - the conflicts caused by mixing personal ethics, politics and the news. I think many recognize the problem, but need to put food on the table & make progress in their career. 沒辦法.

…Just some scattered opinions & unfiltered thoughts from a handful of people. Hoping to collect more in the near future.

[quote=“urodacus”]An oxymoron nearly as hilarious as “political intelligence”.

Even before the decision of the editor over what to publish today, etc. etc., there needs to be a supply of unbiased objective reporters and researchers, and that just ain’t possible given the prevailing media climate and the risible education system, both through school, and more importantly, through the university system.[/quote]
Hey, but shouldn’t they pretend to be objective, as most newspapers do? At least print the objections to their viewpoints in the letters page so their sycophants can flame? What about restaurant reviews? I now know better than to try a restaurant based upon the glowing reviews gurgled by some kiss-ass TT “reporter” who got a free meal and kingly service because the restaurant knew he/she was coming. Surely the credibility is lost by the total partisanship?

It is all about selling ads and whatever political stance the boss has. Welcome to Taiwan.

BTW, what are the four mainstream English papers here?