Jujitsu tournament was really good

today’s jujitsu tournament at tai da was great. this was my first opportumity to see gracie style ju jitsu ( i can only do wally jay’s small circle technique … a little, met him once). the tournement was run very well and all the competitors showed the right spirit.

Oh damn. I wanted to go, but didn’t realise it was this Saturday. Wish someone had posted closer to the event.

Brian

a lot of clean techniques. i saw a guy do a picture perfect leg lock! awesome!

Glad you found the tournament interesting and enjoyable. Andy Wang (the head instructor over at the Taipei Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy) and the rest of the crew put a lot of time into getting it organized and the volunteers did a fine job keeping things running. As it was the “All Taiwan Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Championships” we had fighters from all over the island; Taipei, Taichung, Kaoshiung and from overseas; Hong Kong and Japan.

As Ran-the-man mentioned there was some outstanding matches with excellent submission techniques. The tourney had both gi and no gi competition, so that made it kind of different and kind of interesting.

And a number of people won their blue belts at the tournament so that was a great bonus for those folks. For people not familiar with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, belt advancements are very, very slow in that art and the advancements are based on the students ability to submit opponents in actual competition.

As a side note, several of the guys training under Andy Wang have been fighting in the just developing Taiwanese NHB (no holds barred) fights. And they have been doing great. It will be interesting to see how the NHB development unfolds here in Taiwan. Different organizers/teachers have been putting on NHB tournaments over about the last year and a half. NHB is very popular in Japan but we shall see what happens with the local NHB scene.

Time for me to get to work,
Take care,
Brian