Just An Introduction

Greetings Everyone! :slight_smile: Just thought I would tell everyone about myself before I start posting. I have been visiting this website since around June 2004, but have never spoken…just read alot…

My name is ***** and I am 25 years old from Chicago USA. I arrived in TW in early October and will be living here till end of Feb 2005. This being my first time out of country. At that point if I really like it, ill be coming back to live for…who knows…forever? I love reading this forum and so far I have learned so much thanks to you guys. I am currently living in Taipei City, right around the bridge where they have a Jade market and across the street flower market open on the weekends…um on Ren-Ai Rd. If anyone knows where that is. I’m not the best with directions yet, since I have yet to be here for a month. My Mandarin skills are severly lacking, and the words/phrases I do know, I say them wrong 92% of the time. But so far I’m having a blast! I live with my girl and her brother, but since they works like 10+hours a day I have a lot of freetime to myself, which I usually just walk around and check stuff out, but even that gets lonely doing.
I know you guys sometimes plan events…movie nights, bar hopping, etc… and before I even dare invite myself to one of em, I thought it be best to introduce myself.
But if there is anyone going on during weekdays or weekends or whatever, i would love to go…you wouldnt believe how much I miss speaking to native english speakers!!
I wrote an email to my family and friends describing what I am noticed so far in TW and thought I’d post it for anyone who wants to see it, might describe a little bit more about myself and you can get a feel for my sense of humor, or lack there of.

Thats about it, wil be a pleasure visiting these boards and meeting some of you!!! :slight_smile:

Looks like the next event is the Bush victory party, next Wednesday at Alleycat’s. :smiley:

Why do I feel like I slipped into "office space’ for a moment? :laughing: :bravo: Anyway, kiddo, I;m from chi-town and love my cubbies and hot dogs with all the toppings. If you wanna hang out, just holla, or send a pm. I am always looking for other chicagaons (sp) to hang out with…

Another one snatched by a Taiwan girl. She told you she will go to Chicago for you one day, right?

Just like my gal, and now I am here eating rice rice rice rice rice rice

[Edit: replace Chicago by something else for me]

A very warm welcome. Make the most of it because its going to get cold and rainy during the winter.

You didn’t say what your profession is, young man. My advice is unless you have something going here (not teaching) you ought to go back to the States eventually. Don’t get bogged down here. A year or so is plenty.
Simply stated, your work options here are very limited unless you have some sort of foreign posting.

Wolf Sage wrote [quote]My advice is unless you have something going here (not teaching) you ought to go back to the States eventually. Don’t get bogged down here. A year or so is plenty. [/quote]

Yeah, the country will suck the years out of you. And then it might be too late to head back to the real world. :astonished:

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. To answer about my profession, well…in TW nothing, I’m only here till end of Feb, so technically I am on “vacation”. Which pretty much means lie around and do nothing. Which after working 2 jobs and 70+ a week without a single whole day off to pay for this trip and spending money, it is surely welcome. Of course I got used to working so much, that I’m feeling bored out of my mind at times.
I don’t think the rain and cold is going to bother me much Dangermouse, since I have lived in Chicago my whole live…i’m just happy it doesn’t snow here!!!
Thanks for the offer namastestore, I’m always ready to get out of the house and do something, if you can think of something…or anyone else for that matter, drop me a PM, my thoughts are if your going to be bored, why be bored alone? :sunglasses:

I am here in the Hades since February. In the beginning it was really cool and an adventure, but now I hate it. Yeah, people are nice blabla but …

I am working in a Taiwan company, my boss is like 19th century, I have no vacation, the streets smell like an ashtray when the Taifun freshness is gone, my wife is more with her family than with me.

Now I am just looking for a nice job back home or somewhere with fresh air and sidewalks. And I visit my Taiwan princess sometimes.

Yeah, you will be laughing now, but after a few month I feel like being here a few years.

Be carefull with her family. Girls here like to support them with a lot of money and if they marry a foreigner, they often spend more time with their mum than the foreigner.

Okay, wept enough, time for the job search machine again.

Hehe, if I am still here next year, the Hades has cought me for ever :blush:

Sorry to read that Bob. There really is no improvement of your living conditions: from Darmstadt (it really is a terrible name for a city), to living in a ashtray street.
I guess only Pforzheim would be worse?!

Obviously you are right that it doesn’t get as cold outside here as it does in Chicago. Maybe that will be the end of the story for you. But I lived in Chicago for a few years too, and I was never as cold in the winters there as I am in the winter in Taiwan.

Why? Many buildings don’t have heat. So maybe it is only 10 degrees Celsius here (not that cold), but that often means it’s 10 degrees in your office, 10 degrees in your living room when you’re watching TV, 10 degrees in your bathroom when you step out of the shower in the morning.

Maybe your are lucky enough to live in a heated building. But if you are not, then there is a decent chance that the average daily temperature that you actually live in will be significantly colder than it was in Chicago.

Just saying – make sure you have some warm sweaters. :laughing:

Almas wrote:

My point was that if you sit here and eat lotus for a bunch of years, you could be missing opportunities in the States. The list of jobs that I could have gotten in the States had I returned after a couple of years compared to the jobs that I can get here now is long.
A few of us have survived off the rails of convention, but I would not advise, in good conscience, that everyone become professional lotus-eaters. People like me in Taiwan are the exception, not the rule. I would not advise anyone to do as I did.
Sounds, though, like you are on holiday, so enjoy.

[quote=“robi666”]Sorry to read that Bob. There really is no improvement of your living conditions: from Darmstadt (it really is a terrible name for a city), to living in a ashtray street.
I guess only Pforzheim would be worse?![/quote]

I had my “Out of Taiwan” Five Minutes. But now as I started to search for jobs… well maybe a year or two and then I come back.

You see, not so easy to go out of Hades.

But too much rice here.