Just wondering what finally made the decision

Hi, I’ve been reading some of the discussions on this board over the last couple of days, but never posted.

But I’m curious (because I’m having thoughts this way myself), what made people here decide to stay and make a life in Taiwan. I visited Taiwan for work a while back and stayed for a year, I’ve been back in UK for over 12 months with good job living in London but I seem to still think about the fun time I had in Taiwan, and think about how I could go back… is this strange… and did anyone give up a well paid job to stay/go to Taiwan…and any regrets?

[quote=“teletubbie”]Hi, I’ve been reading some of the discussions on this board over the last couple of days, but never posted.

But I’m curious (because I’m having thoughts this way myself), what made people here decide to stay and make a life in Taiwan. I visited Taiwan for work a while back and stayed for a year, I’ve been back in UK for over 12 months with good job living in London but I seem to still think about the fun time I had in Taiwan, and think about how I could go back… is this strange… and did anyone give up a well paid job to stay/go to Taiwan…and any regrets?[/quote]
I’ve found that though I get paid considerably less here in Taiwan than I would in the US, I actually save quite a bit more money here. In the US, most of my income is consumed by housing costs, insurance, transportation, taxes, and a plethora of “nickel-and-dime” fees and surcharges. Here one can live well yet not spend a fortune doing so.

In addition, I love to travel and there are a lot of countries nearby that can be easily and cheaply visited.

Oh, and I shouldn’t have to mention the sheer number of beautiful women here.

[quote=“Chris”]
Oh, and I shouldn’t have to mention the sheer number of beautiful women here.[/quote]

Oh yes, that’s it, isn’t it!? Taiwanese women are the best and make all Western women seem like . . .

Damn it!! MaPoSquid get the fuck out of here!! Mods!! Help!! MaPoSquid has run into my office with a semi-automatic assault weapon and has commandeered my keyboard so he can write nasty stuff about Western women!! Call security!! Run for your lives!!

[Moderator’s note: Sorry, we can’t be normally be held responsable if ex-forumosans come into your office and hold you hostage with an assult rifle, it’s in the terms and conditions. If however you think this is a special case, please contact administration]

You mention the costs of living, thats one of the things that drives me crazy living in London, surely the most expensive city in the world…I think I only see about a quarter of the money I actually earn, the rest goes on taxes…transportation etc…

you mention taiwanese women…i had such a good time in taiwan I married one but we live in UK now. Actually she doesn’t think too much about going home, she works here as accountant and think she quite likes it…but its funny because i’m the one who’s thinking or keen to go back to taiwan…

I came to Taiwan the first time back in 1999. Just for a week to do some business! In this week I met a wonderful women. 3 month later my company back in Germany gave me the opportunity to stay in Taiwan for a period of 2 years! I met the woman again and she became my gf.

After the 2 years, in 2001, I was back in Europe again, with a good job. But the time in Taiwan had changed a lot of my habits and I missed the girl and the island allot! So after 6 month I quit my job and took the next airplane to Taipei!

I married the women, got a job here and have not regret it! Actually I think I will never go back to Europe again (maybe for vacation some time)! Live here is very different then back in my home country and whatever difficulties strike me here, I will stay and don