🤼 🇮🇳 Kabaddi

A 12 week-long International tournament going on right now it’s on local Taiwan TV channel 220 and maybe some others.

No balls and no protective gear and nothing on the court, just people running back and forth like tag or something.

They are really serious about this sport.

1 Like

You have to have the sound on and listen to the person saying Kabbadi, Kabbadi, they have to do the running shouting and tagging with only one breath.

It became a playground game when I was at primary school after British Bulldog and Scrag got banned, there was no Indian or south Asian kids at my school, we just picked it up from TV.

3 Likes

And I thought cricket dragged on for too long…

1 Like

It was on Channel 4, wasn’t it? Obscure Sports Quarterly kind of show.

1 Like

That was the one but I think it also ended up getting a weekly spot in some obscure time slot.

This game is more deep and complex than what it seems to someone who doesnt know about it and in India , its taken quite seriously.

2 Likes

Ahhhh this brings back memories of my childhood…Used to play a lot of this and another popular Indian sport called Kho Kho during my PT period in school and of course, there was the cream of the crop, Cricket, which every one of us knew how to play without even learning :joy:

I’m quite surprised to hear Taiwan even heard of Kabaddi!!

1 Like

sooooo, basically the ocho?

1 Like

Extreme pogo

OK, I tried to find out about this “tournament”.

Are you talking about the Pro Kabaddi League in India?

If yes, that’s not a tournament, but a league, and it’s not international, but national (Indian).

If there is another international tournament going on, maybe you could provide a link?

Admittedly I’m clueless about this sport. I just typed into Google and the page showed up.

Maybe it’s just the league tracking and not a tournament.

Saw Bangladesh playing India so thought International.

1 Like

This was actually the Asian Games 2023 which ran from Oct 2nd to Oct 7th in Hangzhou, China (which is why you can see all those Chinese Sponsors in the backgroud of that image) where India won both the Men’s and Women’s Gold.

3 Likes