Kaohsiung burger wars

‘Legends’ has the best pizza here in Kaohsiung for my money.

‘Opizza’ is also good.

1 Like

Fair enough!

Anybody had the burger near here? There’s a couple people selling burgers in that day market next door. They smell delicious.

https://www.google.com.tw/maps/place/高雄港11號碼頭/@22.6182421,120.2902203,17.17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x346e04789b40812f:0xe2a74879dfce5529!8m2!3d22.617286!4d120.2883045?hl=zh-TW

i haven’t, but i’ll put it on the list if you can find a more accurate location!

Reigning champ
Webberger: Wow. Fresh, juicy, tasty. I had the double cheese, which seemed to be a simple meat and cheese burger. So good. Best fries I’ve had in K-town, hot and fresh. Bonus coleslaw was delicious. Every table was taken, the music was great.

Contenders
These will be worth a second visit to see if they move up or down:

• Murk Bar: Had a great late-night burger there. It could be because I was hungry, or because my expectations were low, but man it was delicious.
  • Bottoms Up: That’s a tasty burger. Nice place, was quite busy. The fresh side salad in addition to the fries was definitely nice to see.
  • Beast: Blue cheese burger was pretty good; a bit dry but at least it was cooked through for a change. Nice place, I will go back.
  • Legends: Pleasantly surprised. This was my second visit (first meal) and there was even another customer this time. Good burger.

Coulda been a contenders

• Tec Burger

There are other things on the menu, but the burger is decent if that’s your hankering

• Arkansas Diner
  • Lighthouse
  • The Plus Star

Better off going to McDonalds or Burger King, if you know your burgers at all

• new–> MMB (Hanshin): I guess for a food court burger it isn’t bad, though frankly I didn’t enjoy it enough to finish it. Maybe I’ve had too many hamburgers lately (no, never, why would I say something like that?)
  • Oxford
  • Smokey Joes
  • Foster Hewitt’s

Honorable mention
Yaletown: While not technically a real burger (like, for example, McDonalds would serve), this beef-based sandwich was amazeballs.

Seems I’ve tried all the places that have been recommended in town. Did we miss any? Time to go back to the contenders and see if repeated visits can unseat the champ! :boxing_glove:

2 Likes

You sir deserve an honorary jian bao card for your tireless service to the community.

*If you keep eating this many burgers, you may end up needing it! :grin: *

Guy

1 Like

Agreed on Arkansas, Lighthouse and Foster Hewitt. The weird thing about Foster Hewitt (2) is that their fried squid is actually the best thing on their menu.

1 Like

Made a few second visits:

Reigning champ
Webberger: Wow. Fresh, juicy, tasty. I had the double cheese, which seemed to be a simple meat and cheese burger. So good. Best fries I’ve had in K-town, hot and fresh. Bonus coleslaw was delicious. Every table was taken, the music was great. Second visit, same story.

Contenders
These will be worth a second visit to see if they move up or down:

• Murk Bar: Had a great late-night burger there. It could be because I was hungry, or because my expectations were low, but man it was delicious.
  • Bottoms Up: That’s a tasty burger. Nice place, was quite busy. The fresh side salad in addition to the fries was definitely nice to see.
  • Legends: Pleasantly surprised. This was my second visit (first meal) and there was even another customer this time. Good burger.

Coulda been a contenders

• Beast: Blue cheese burger was pretty good; a bit dry but at least it was cooked through for a change. Nice place, I will go back. Second visit, just as good as the first. This is a nice place for a date, and I like the fresh toppings.
  • Tec Burger

There are other things on the menu, but the burger is decent if that’s your hankering

• Arkansas Diner
  • Lighthouse
  • The Plus Star

• MMB (Hanshin)
  • Oxford
  • Smokey Joes
  • Foster Hewitt’s

Honorable mention
Yaletown: While not technically a real burger (like, for example, McDonalds would serve), this beef-based sandwich was amazeballs. Second visit I upgraded to a proper Reuben, not cheap but so delicious!

3 Likes

Just seen, and been surprised by, your MMB review! Must have been a bad day for them or my taste buds are way off. Shall try Webberger when next in Kaohsiung to see where the bar is at!

Thanks for all the reviews and updates, definitely will be trying some of those places out.

3 Likes

And I want to thank everyone who posted their suggestions here so I knew which places to try!

I was about to add MMB. But just saw your negative review. I’m surprised, not bad in my experience.

剛剛好MMB Cafe - 手工漢堡 / 高雄美味餐廳推薦 / 高雄美食 / Delicious Burger
0965 413 459

2 Likes

Same here, they’re not gourmet but well above Maccers standard, in my opinion. I need to check out the top rated locations to calibrate my taste buds! Perhaps TT hit them on a bad day.

Coulda been their bad day, or mine. Not sure! No accounting for taste, and maybe for some palates theirs is the better burger. The battle continues, let us know what you think about these other places as well!

2 Likes

Made a few more second visits:

Reigning champ
Webberger: Wow. Fresh, juicy, tasty. I had the double cheese, which seemed to be a simple meat and cheese burger. So good. Best fries I’ve had in K-town, hot and fresh. Bonus coleslaw was delicious. Every table was taken, the music was great. Second visit, same story.

Contenders
These will be worth a third visit to see if they move up or down:

• Murk Bar: Had a great late-night burger there. It could be because I was hungry, or because my expectations were low, but man it was delicious. Second visit was the same.
  • Bottoms Up: That’s a tasty burger. Nice place, was quite busy. The fresh side salad in addition to the fries was definitely nice to see. Second visit was the same.

Coulda been a contenders

• Beast
  • Tec Burger

• Arkansas Diner
  • Lighthouse
  • The Plus Star

• MMB (Hanshin)
  • Oxford
  • Smokey Joes
  • Legends
  • Foster Hewitt’s

Honorable mention
Yaletown: While not technically a real burger (like, for example, McDonalds would serve), this beef-based sandwich was amazeballs. Second visit I upgraded to a proper Reuben, not cheap but so delicious!

3 Likes

Even though i dont do meat anymore, i so appreciate your organization in this thread. Its as refreshing as the best salad at your top pick!

I have gone to a few and had whatever veggie options they had. Since i was young i always had a rule. You can judge a shops’ quality control based on their bathrooms. Now i use your recomendations on burgers for their veggie options and go eat hippy dishes haha. So far so good! Keep it up.

1 Like
  • Beast: Blue cheese burger was pretty good; a bit dry but at least it was cooked through for a change. Nice place, I will go back. Second visit, just as good as the first. This is a nice place for a date, and I like the fresh toppings.

By “Beast” do you mean Monster Burger?

BEAST Bar&Grill 野獸美式餐廳-高雄美式漢堡推薦|必吃美式漢堡|特色美式餐廳|必吃美式漢堡|包場美式餐廳|cp美式餐廳
07 286 5137
https://goo.gl/maps/Mj5f18nDpcNCE2WT7

No, @Tianmu’s BEAST. But Monster Burger, would you recommend it?

Not sure. I think the same people used to operate at another location on Jungshan Road. Back then it was good. Don’t know if it’s as good now.

Seems I’ll have to do my civic duty and put it on the list, then :slight_smile: