Kaohsiung Minsheng Hospital performed the wrong surgery

Imagine going to the hospital for something as chill as a low blood pressure check and ending up getting chest surgery by mistake!

https://www.upmedia.mg/news_info.php?Type=24&SerialNo=199191

That happens disturbingly regularly.

When you have surgery, they always asked me a bunch of obvious questions to make sure you were totally on the same page.

2 Likes

Look on the bright side he got a free operation out of it.

2 Likes

Maybe this person was old and couldn’t talk properly but they could check his wristband that has his name on it. I think there is even qr code to scan.

I know for limb surgery here you actually sign on your limb to avoid the wrong limb being operated on.

Could have been worse;

Prague Hospital Performs Abortion On Wrong Woman Due To Language Barrier (ndtv.com)

Or

Woman Accidentally Given Abortion Pills by CVS, Ending Her Pregnancy (businessinsider.com)

I don’t think it’s regular at all. Consider there are thousands of surgeries done every day, 365 days per year. Now imagine the sheer amount of administrative work that goes alongside that, with patients seeing multiple doctors and surgeons. The system here is remarkably good, uses a lot of electronic records, barcodes etc. Of course mistakes will happen, but they’re very rare.

1 Like

Unnecessary meds or analyses being prescribed by Taiwanese clinics anyone? :woozy_face:

1 Like

Something like this:

This is straight out of Grey’s Anatomy.

Could have been worser.

1 Like