Kaohsiung Neighborhoods/Districts to live in?

Looking for a rundown of the different neighborhoods in Kaohsiung.
I am looking to move to Kaohsiung and want to land in a neighborhood that best suits my interests…
I want to be in a central area in the city that is easily accessible to public transit (I will not have a car or scooter). I like the hustle and bustle of night markets, but not the whole party scene. I prefer to live in an area where more locals live so I can exercise my language skills.
As a comparison, when I was in Taipei, my favorite areas were Datong (tons of excitement, awesome architecture, love the tight alleyways), and Wanhua (more locals and older feel. I was not a huge fan of Zhongzheng & Ximen).
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Bobby

Zuoying District
Take Kaohsiung Arena station as a center and look as far north as Ecological District station or south to Aozihdi station.
Stay west of Love River at its northern point.
You got KMRT and you’re close to HSR station.
Close to Lotus Pond. Lots of local markets and the famous one, Rueifong.
If you like cycling, Guishan 3rd Road has less traffic and gives you a great beeline to the harbor and around the corner to NSYSU.

PM if you need more minute details.

1 Like

Only locals live in Kaohsiung…That’s shouldn’t be one of your issues. t
They might not speak much Mandarin though. :slight_smile:

I live in Zuoying. It’s fine. We have Hanshin arena (the largest dept store/mall in Kaohsiung) and a bunch of western restaurants and pubs (like the Lighthouse) nearby. Plus, Aozihdi Park is nice. Also the buildings are newer and more built to code around here. So y’know… less likely to pancake in case of a quake.

The area with small alleyways is 西子灣(Xizuwan) which is end of Orange MRT Rail light and for now end of the tram way (or street rail cars). There is an effort put coffee houses and other cafes with the old buildings in this the oldest area of the city. I like walk to waterfront areas, ferry rides and cleaner air (Kaoshiung City has bad air in the winter months citywide, but if that bothers you avoid area to north near High Speed Rail Station with pollution from the oil/ chem refinery in that area). I live in more central XinXing district on nice home in small alleyway (although the big Wufu road is block away). We have 100 year old homes mixed with brand new (expensive) homes, I feel bit sad when an old home is lost/ replaced. The good thing I like here, in this block everyone seems to know each other and pretty relaxed. Older folks sit outside to chat with, but I like as its better than a camera as far security. There is no real night market in these areas, some streets with street food and lots of small shops with traditional as well other foods (quite of few Japanese expats in my area, so some good Japanese food).

2 Likes

Yancheng 鹽埕區 District is also kind of cool. Lots of small eateries that are locally famous, which have been around for decades.
Like 郭家肉棕 on Beidou Street. Interior is old-style, takes you back in time.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your help! I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Zouying is great, huge night market near the high school and Arena MRT. The arena mall is massive with good food, there are a few night markets around that are smaller than the above one which take 5-10 minutes ride to get to. Plenty of food, just so much and different cuisines.
Someone said above there’s a lot of pubs and bars true, yes the lighthouse is great, there’s also a Canadian bar around the corner from it, and a road or 2 from those is a sports bar that do all you can drink for 500 on Friday nights, and of course the roof, which will give you a bunch of shots for free on your birthday, older you are the more you get, just take ID.
Near everyone here is local, you see a few foreigners wondering around but not very many, except the light house on a weekend ha. As far as I can tell, most everyone speaks mandarin and the older gen speak a mix of mandarin and Taiwanese, the youingins i find speak a bit of English too.
I love right next to the love river, mosquitos aren’t an issue, never get any inside or around the place, able to walk to met, buses, bike rack, every type of school x2, breakfast shops everywhere, hilife/711 and family mart everywhere.
Quite a quiet area considering the only time there is no traffic is on a Sunday morning, I am at the park in front of the lighthouse right now with my 2yo and there about 12 kids running around, plenty of friends for kids to make. Also every park here has excercise equipment.
On that, quite a few gyms around, as well as full size basketball courts, batting cages and soccer field, running track, pool hall.
A few touristy areas around, but not as many as Taipei and tainan which is good tbh.
So yeah, from zouying you can walk anywhere to get anything or take a train to anywhere in 30-40 minutes. There’s a massive massive new mall that the train now stops directly at that we’ve been to a couple of times, bit empty because its so new ha.

1 Like

The Kaohsiung train station looks like an up and coming area. The real estate is super cheap there right now (compared to Taipei), and they are constructing a huge new train station. You can catch the red line to the Airport, high speed rail, or go to love river. Might be a good place to invest in, perhaps even as an unrenovated mailing box address? A 2 bedroom w/ 平面 parking space in a new high rise there is under 1000萬, or about 35萬/坪.

https://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/kaohsiung-train-station_o

The other areas I’m looking at is near 獅甲站 (Ikea and Costco right next to each other), and near 高雄流行音樂中心/音浪塔 (nice view of the harbor)

The home prices are about 1/4th of what a similar home is in downtown Taipei. Everything seems so cheap!

The old Main Station is not the best area by far, its better but lot old low standard buildings remain.

Given the OP’s taste in Taipei (Datong, Wanhua), I would second this recommendation. Plus Yancheng has better food than either!

EDIT: Whoops, this thread was started wayback in prepandemic days. :doh:

Guy

Perhaps it would be nice to live by this park. I love this park.

Kaohsiung Metropolitan Park

The air quality in that area is just disgusting. A constant smell of oil and cooked chocolate (well, in my opinion). Absolutely horror, beware !

I would live in a bunker on Shoushan.

1 Like

Be prepared to bunk with the macaques!

Source: The Marvels of Monkeys: A Journey to Shoushan with Formosan Rock Macaques – Taiwan Scene

Guy

1 Like