Kaohsiung Neighborhoods?- Living and Working

We have place in Zuoying a few large blocks from Lotus Pond (really a small lake). We like it a lot. One MRT away from HSR to get to other big cities on west coadt quickly.

Aside fron this District you may consider Yancheng District or Gushan District if you want to be near the harbor, Pier2 Art Center, etc.

Hello Siren,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
Best wishes to you!

KaiSa

Hello there,

This is great info. Very much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Cheers.

KaiSa

My opinion? Taichung is more fun. I lived there for four years, and it just always seemed like more fun to me. I think my reasons for saying that are mostly personal, so make of it what you will.

Kaohsiung definitely has better public transportation. Yeah, Kenting is somewhat convenient from there, but I always thought Kenting was overrated.

With respect to Kaohsiung neighborhoods, my Taiwanese mom-in-law lives near Kaohsiung University and it’s not bad. Less developed, and (slightly) better air. I also like Shin Dzuo Ying 新左營 quite a bit. They have a Shin Kong Mitsukoshi, a few more natural areas, Lotus Pond 蓮池, and the traffic isn’t that bad. They also have HSR and KMRT stations if you want to get out of town in a hurry.

‘When Bad Pinyin Makes You Spill Your Coffee and other Tales from the Hinterland’

‘the Ghost of Wade-Giles past’

Honestly I couldn’t care less about pinyin. I spelled it that way because it was on a sign near there. I included the Chinese in case anyone was confused about my spelling.

I like Yancheng and Gushan area, with old buildings , art and cafes its like the Arts District in Downtown Los Angeles . The KHH harborside near, feels like San Diego harborside ( an hour from where I used live in SoCal). I live in old renovated Kaohsiung house, I like the fact it’s big like in the States/NZ but here in Taiwan in the city (plus double car park) which hard to get a single house in Taipei.

Oh yeah? Me too. We’ve probably met and not realized it. Or at least passed each other on the street.

I live in the south of the city, and work near Yancheng, it’s easy to commute around the city, and there is always something going on at the weekend. This side of the city seams a little less crowded if you look around Qianzhen, you can get the MRT around town, the Tram to pier2, you can always pick up a city bike, or one of the electric Goru scooter that have popped up around town.

the Ecological KMRT station is between us and the pond.
Are you closer than that, or?

I’m halfway between Ecological Park MRT and Lotus Pond. Near Carrafours

that’s a nice place to be.
lots of new apartments just built or being built.
I like Zuoying as I also can do a cycling ride along Gushan Rd to NSYSU and around the harbor entrance to the coast with some hills along the way, or go north from the pond along the coast there for longer rides.

2 Likes

What’s the best time of year to be in Kaohsiung (weather-wise, pollution-wise, events, etc)?