Kaohsiung suburban residential developments

That area is exanding super fast. But might be worth considering health risks there. Its near one of the dirtiest offenders to public health in taiwan. I was surprised to see how when people pass the airport they forget about mordor sitting right there. We have a brother, grandparents and an aunt by dream mall. The air is pretty much never ok. But the housing is new and fancy. Quite expensive though.

Are you saying the airport is the offender? I like the LOTR reference, but you arenā€™t very clear here

1 Like

Do you mean ā€œThe Oneā€ next to the main library? I donā€™t think properties that sell for NT$50-100 million will be rented for NT$20K/monthā€¦

However, the location is great! Itā€™s not suburb, but close to the Kaohsiung Harbor, the main library, the MRT, and the light rail. I recommend the ę‘©å¤©é«˜é›„ apartment complex next to The One ā€“ more affordable, and some units can have great harbor and street views. I donā€™t think they have a swimming pool though.

2 Likes

Great info from everyone; thanks!

The pool is necessary I think - my wife is having a very hard time with the heat here in Southern Mexico right now (mind you it hits 35C in the afternoon), and she has her mind set on a pool.

are you looking on 591 yet? 20k, with a pool, near MRT, with space for a family (of 4?) seems like it might be rough to findā€¦

1 Like

Decent outdoor apartment pools are almost impossible to find in Taiwan and you know they almost always open in the Summer months only. Sad but true. One can look.

1 Like

Yeah, we know that from our time in Taipei. A good percentage of the new builds in Danshui have pools, so I was hoping the same was true in Kaohsiung.

1 Like

Hehe. Sorry. No, i am referring to Linyuan. A huge industrial section dedicated to a lot of chemical manufacture. Thats Mordor :slight_smile: i was just joking about how people drive north a few km and pass the airport to enter shoppingmall/condo ville and they forget about the evil that sits at their doorstep.

In all seriousness, i wouldnt live there based on health concerns. Regardless of modern buildings and better transportation services. Which are absolutely MUCH better than before! Just putting it out there. The closer you get to mordor, the cheaper housing gets. And that says a lot! What is shocking is after the airport, housing gets ultra crazy super fast due to shopping real estate shenanigans but you have the same health concerns on realityā€¦to be fair, north kaohsiung/tainan with the industrial parks are VERY polluted too. Soā€¦basically dont choose basically Pingtungs Fangliao (the sky has a constant line in the sky from there that you can see the pollution) north to Miaoli if pollution is a worry. If you like it there, hit up coastal windy areas where some of it blows away.

Ya. Might as well buy and pay that in a mortgage if long term is the plan.

Yeah, I have been. It was the source of this thread, actually - I wanted to know where to look in Kaohsiung. I do find it annoying that 591 (as far as I can tell) does not have a pool option in the filters.

There are quite a few of these (new build with pool) on 591 in the new area of Danshui around that price (15-20K).

I think that if it were a nice place with AC in all of the rooms under 20K without a pool, it could be ok.

1 Like

Linyuan is really no joke. I worked at a school about 20 minutes from there for a year. Absolutely horrendous air quality. The principal of the school lived in Linyuan and I remember him telling me the city pays residents a stipend to compensate for the pollution. Couldnā€™t pay me enough to move back anywhere near there.

As much as I like Kaoshiung as a city, after living in the North for the last year I couldnā€™t go back.

OP - the area by the Fine Arts Museum would probably be my choice for quality of life in Kaohsiung if I had to choose

1 Like

In my modest opinion ā€¦ if you are flexible regarding your job ā€¦ if you like to live in a major taiwanese city ā€¦ if you like to enjoy the best weather and so on

I truly think Taichung would be the best choice ā€¦

If you keep insisting on southern Taiwan, I am backing previous comments here suggesting Tainan / new Anping district

Interesting - why would you say that?

Taichung fans ALWAYS say that. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Well, first of all its of course personal preference.

Taichung has the best weather in Taiwan (speaking of the big cities) - it would surprise we when other Forumoseans would argue about this.
And yes, the air quality isnā€™t as good anymore due to that huge coal plant on the seashore.
Thus the eastern suburbs of Taichung should be prefered, Beitun as an example.

Taichung is a modern city, mind of between ultra cozy Taipei-City and kind of more laid back Kaohsiung (although Kaohsiung changing a lot).
Taichung condos can be both luxurious and affordable. Kaohsiung is the same, Taipei-City way overpriced.

If you drive a car. Traffic in Taichung is certainly not that chaotic than in other cities. It is super conveniently located and has great highway acess. Surrounding Highway 74 is awesome to navigate.

Taichung is larger on scale and lack more of existing MTR lines and Kaohsiung there has clearly advantages.

Yes Taichung nightlife can be better and yes Kaohsiung has nearby Kenting and is a harbour city even with city beaches.
If your focus would be on scenery and hiking - then Taichung certainly would be the way to go.

I lived in both Kaohsiung and Taichung and for me the decision would be a no brainer.

The major point for me would be my health. 12 years in Kaohsiung has deteriorated my health - thats it.

If you come with your family and especially with child/children that would be a critically concern (for me).

1 Like

Are you saying this in relation to air pollution?

And that in Beitun (for example) the air is better?

I genuinely donā€™t know, and want to learn about these other places.

Of course it is related to Kaohsiung air pollution. But to be fair, the air pollution has generally improved.

Beitun just was my geo-preference, because it is near to Dakeng and it is close to FengYuan.

I dont know that much about other areas in Taichung (except the major spots) - but I honestly dont understand the hype why almost everybody insists, if Taichung, you have to live in Xitun only !

Beitun has it all. Can be new and stylish, but has its traditional parts as well. A lot of new apartment-complex (though expensive to buy, but rent can be quite affordable).

Main train station, have both few train -and MTR stations, famous YiZhong night market, nearby ā€œmountainsā€, good infracture, even a 2nd fairly newly opened Costco.

And on yearly average, Taichung has by far the most sunny days (some of them freakingly hot too).

Nevertheless, if you need to live near the water, need to breath frequently salty ocean-water, then donā€™t consider Taichung.
Well, nearby is GaoMei wetlands though, but thats simply nothing to compare for.

1 Like

Old video on Japan TV about Tainan life (a bit old)
Somewhere Street - Tainan, Taiwan - YouTube

Train station looks the same, but renovations will change that a lot. Also interesting to see mask wearing ten+ years ago if sick. Lots old parts of the city are the same.

I lived in Taichung for years.
I rather enjoyed it and the weather was fantastic.
There are many nice neighborhood to choose from and many parks. Trees flower throughout the year.
Few decent museums such as art and science museums. A few decent bike lanes outside of the city.

Taichung is also centrally located , good for going up and down island Traffic is low level compared to many citiesā€¦
Nantou is close.

However it is a very quiet city, not much going on . Few foreigners. It gets boring.

Also it has no decent coast really which is a Significant minusā€¦And the pollution level is only a bit better than Kaohsiung. Whereas on my recent holiday weekend to Kaohsiung I saw tonnes and tonnes of foreigners. Totally different buzz.

Kaohsiung seems to have more buzz and more going on and developing well around the harbour and the ocean is integrated. Can zip across to taidong or kending or pingdong. Better bars now in Kaohsiung
Kaohsiung has bad air pollution often but so does Taichung in my opinion it ainā€™t a whole lot different.

6 Likes

Are with that, as quality of life in KHH is great now, much better than a few years ago and much much better than 10+ years ago.

1 Like