Kaohsiung suburban residential developments

My wife and I are looking at potential locations for living in Taiwan. We are trying to be open minded, but did live previously in Taipei and surrounding areas for almost 10 years (between 2000 and 2010) and know it pretty well.

We would like to find something similar to Lotus Hill in Hsi-chih. Relatively new (not a 1950s concrete box downtown), not necessarily super-modern though (under $20K NT$ preferred) and nature relatively nearby. A pool would be preferable, as would proximity to public transit.

We are considering Danshui, but we would also like to consider other areas of Taiwan that fit the bill, especially in and around Kaohsiung (much better weather imo). Are there specific areas to look in (or around) Kaohsiung that fullfil our needs? Maybe somewhere else altogether in Taiwan? I am currently searching on 591, but outside of Northern Taiwan, I am at a loss as to where to search.

What do you mean by ‘suburban residential developments’?

If you’re looking for Canadian style car dependent single family homes, they’re extremely rare and expensive.

Or do you mean newer planned neighbourhoods not too far from the city centre that might offer a higher quality of life for less.

Up along the MRT in Old Kaohsiung, there are more than enough new condos that provide decent amenities.

Like Aozihdi.

Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts has a relatively new set of tower blocks too.

The area around Zuoying is fairly modern as well.

1 Like

Yes, as @Marco noted, Aozihdi is a nice centrally-located area that is a bit more upscale; nice new high-rise apartments, and park that is packed with people walking and exercising on summer nights.
Zuoying is also a nice place. Can consider near the HSR or the Ecological District MRT station. Around those areas are lots of modern apartments, Lotus Lake, and great convenience to hop on HSR to shoot northward to visit friends.
Lots of other ideas, but just keep asking. Plenty of other KHH residents on the forum who may add some tidbits.

2 Likes

What are your requirements? I mean, outside of price. For me the words kaohsiung and quality of life are an oxymoron. But thats for what i like (dont get pissed off ktown residents, just mentioning its a relative term).

Perhaps some priorities on main topics.

House type and quality.
Pollution issues
Infrastructre
Schools (i recall you have youngins)
Noise, light and other nuisance style pollutions
Traffic
Shopping needs
Social cultures
Amenities
Job prospects
And so on.

Everyone has more important priorities of course, and those should dictate the location of settling. For me personally, ktownand taipei are right near the bottom of the list as my preferrences for quality of life those cities dont match. But many like the hustle and bustle of city life and where i live is absolutely hard for them to adjust.

Only because its of huge importance to me, i will selfishly mention pollution. If air/water quality are of any concern skip SW trough central west now. It is quite grim. But there is a lot of work and lots of new development. Especially in kaohsiung and tainan. If you really prefer those lifestyles and pollution is still a vocern, stick a bit closer to t he coast. Not everywhere, but MANY places, tend to hold pollution in pockets nearer the mountains. I was dead set on Chaiyi for a decade or more, but that kept me from taking action there.

Kaohsiung and tainan are building at lightspeed, so improvements are nearly constant. You will be shocked what it looks like now compared to when you lived here then :slight_smile: mostly for the better imo.

1 Like

Aozhidi is our stomping grounds when visiting family. Its not bad at all, but still quite polluted and very noisy (we stay on 13th floor and still cant sleep). I really look forward to all the road and rail upgrades once done. The electric rail i am anxiously awaiting. Mostly because i hate traffic. But it might make it worse. Its fun to watch from afar :slight_smile:

Noisy from street traffic or constant construction (though that would not happen overnight, I’m guessing)?
Where we live in Zuoying, it’s half the height of your floor-level on a street that is rather busy during the daytime (kind of a major corner).
About the only noise at night are ambulances, if they in fact are racing anywhere. Other than that, a decent sleep.

2 Likes

Both haha. Construction i dont mind, its a daytime thing as you say. Its the traffic that keeps the house sleepless. Mother in law is indifferent. I get maybe an hour or night when there. Probably triggering half of you fine folk during said time :slight_smile:

It really is legit noisy though! Even on 13f facing the inside of the complex. hence my wanting that electric rail to take half the piss out of that road haha. If i may be so sellfish for the 20 nights a year i am there lol.

No, not these at all.

Yes, exactly like these. Thanks for the heads up as to where these are in Kaohsiung. If anyone knows of similar places in Tainan, or even on the East coast (keeping options open here), let me know.

As to quality of life and what exactly we are looking for, I will address that in another post.

1 Like

Anping ‘Island’ is all full of new development.

Notice how all the roads look cleanly mapped out in a nice organised grid.

That’s how you can tell.

Satellite imagery also helps find the tower blocks.

This is Tainan? Cool.

Yes. Similarly, in that area, most of the new houses are on the west. And they also have full (modern) townhouses.

Can look like this.

Or this.

2 Likes

We may need to consider Tainan. It doesn’t hurt that my guitar teacher from Taipei now works at Tainan university.

You might look at some of new luxury high rise places (the newest one is like 70 floors, tallest in Taiwan for a home) near Costco-South IKEA- Old Hanshin area. They are expensive to buy, but if you haggle and search well you can find a deal for a rental, as there are many empty ones bought as an “investment”

1 Like

Yeah. 85 Tower in Kaohsiung seems to now nearly be one big BNB. Can find a room with a really nice view of the harbor for cheap cheap.

Here is a newish midrise development block in eastern Old Tainan

Note: Old is used in the same context as I would say Old Toronto

I highly recommend heading down to Kaohsiung and not bothering with North Taiwan at all.

Vastly vastly improved city and harbour since you left , lots of choices of places and neighbourhoods to live , public transport is now very decent , good weather , job opportunities for English teaching if need to supplement income , airport , HSR, cheap and loads of outdoors pursuits nearby in terms of beaches and mountains. Can swing down to Kenting or across to Taidong very quickly.

I like parts of Anping and Tainan but Kaohsiung is better overall for me. Contrary to what some say it actually isn’t that busy in many neighbourhoods there.

1 Like

Tainan is probably a nicer place to have a family

Yeah, I’m in Zuoying, quite like it. There is construction noises, and the garbage trucks, but otherwise pretty quiet in my corner of town.

Hard to find a layout and price that i was satisfied with, wasn’t looking for a pool and had to take one without a balcony. Are you looking on 591 yet?

1 Like

Tainan is building at super speeds because of the science parks and tech industry . Lots of areas being transformed. You can have nice communal living in the middle of farmville and a highway next to you now, not just city life. Note that its getting quite expensive there due to huge amounts of jobs currently

1 Like

This is exactly what we are thinking. It is definitely not the K-town of 15 years ago, and we want to see what it has to offer.

I think that if we can find a decently priced place, in an area with a lower amount of pollution overall ( I find it strange that some parts of Kaohsiung can be over 150 AQI, while others are 60/70), I think it would something that we would be very interested in.