Kaohsiung Teaching & Time Off

Hi all!

I will be moving to Kaohsiung in August 2015. I have not found a job yet but I have sent a few applications out (to KAS, I-Shou, and KNS).

A little about me:

• native-English speaker from Canada
  • 25 y/o female
  • Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education degree
  • Certified to teach in Canada
  • a little bit of ESL experience teaching

I have a few questions:

• Is it best to secure a job before I go? My boyfriend (who I will be going with) already has a job lined with with KNS but I didn’t apply at the same time that he did, so I don’t. I am not too worried, but I am a little nervous going into it with him having a job and me not.

• I joined the Facebook groups for Kaohsiung English Teachers and Kaohsiung Teaching Positions - many positions seem to be part time or subbing positions. Is taking these jobs feasible to make a living? I haven’t taught or lived abroad and it just seems strange to have a 20 hour work week (I’m used to the ol’ 40 hours!).

• Last question… and this is an important one. I need to come back to Canada in April 2016 because my best friend is getting married and I am her bridesmaid. With a lot of these contracts it seems as though taking time off is not really an option. What should I do? Take subbing jobs so that I can ensure I will have time off? Or should I break a contract that I may sign?

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

A full time teaching job is 14-28 hours/wk. It is fairly easy to live on 20-25 hrs/wk. it should be noted that this is 20-25 hours of teaching. There is also unpaid grading and prep time (some is a reasonable amount and some is a lot). I don’t know what the teaching schedules are in Canada but teaching (contact time with students) 40 hrs/wk is a lot.

A school should allow you to take 1-2 weeks off. Not all of them will allow you to pick the time. They might say your vacation time is during Chinese New Year and during the summer when we close for 1-2 weeks.

Additionally KAS and IShou function as a real school where you teach normal classes. KNS and the rest of the buxibans are only ESL after school tutoring classes.

[quote=“katiebat”]- Is it best to secure a job before I go? My boyfriend (who I will be going with) already has a job lined with with KNS but I didn’t apply at the same time that he did, so I don’t. I am not too worried, but I am a little nervous going into it with him having a job and me not.

• I joined the Facebook groups for Kaohsiung English Teachers and Kaohsiung Teaching Positions - many positions seem to be part time or subbing positions. Is taking these jobs feasible to make a living? I haven’t taught or lived abroad and it just seems strange to have a 20 hour work week (I’m used to the ol’ 40 hours!).

• Last question… and this is an important one. I need to come back to Canada in April 2016 because my best friend is getting married and I am her bridesmaid. With a lot of these contracts it seems as though taking time off is not really an option. What should I do? Take subbing jobs so that I can ensure I will have time off? Or should I break a contract that I may sign?[/quote]

Normally, a foreign teacher needs an ARC plus one work permit for every employer, and each employer must provide a minimum number of hours per week (14 for the primary employer, 6 for each additional one, max. total 32), so for most sub jobs you’ll need to be employed by an agency. :ponder:

If you still have time, I suggest applying for a working holiday visa. If you can get it before you leave, you’ll have freedom and flexibility because no work permit will be required, and there will be no upper or lower limit on working hours or number of employers. It makes things easier for everyone, except the clueless people who don’t know it exists and don’t believe you when you tell them about it… :doh:

roc-taiwan.org/CA/ct.asp?xIt … =165&mp=77

About workload and income, keep in mind that the cost of living is lower than in Canada. Income tax is 18% for non-residents, 6% for non-residents earning no more than NT $30,000 per month, and 5% (and up) for residents. You’ll probably be a resident for tax purposes in 2016.

If it were your own wedding you would be entitled to an 8 day honeymoon with pay, but for anyone else’s wedding there’s no entitlement, even if it’s a family member. You are entitled to 14 days unpaid leave every year for “matters which a worker must personally deal with”. These “matters” are not clearly defined, but the word 事故 implies something like having to take care of a sick relative or deal with a legal problem (because you signed a contract promising to be a bridesmaid?).

law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawA … e=N0030001 (Art. 43)
law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawA … e=N0030006 (Art. 7)

Many employers don’t know or pretend not to know what the law says anyway, but if you tell them up front that you’re available absolutely all the time except for certain days in April, it probably won’t be a problem, especially for part-time jobs.

Also, if you have an ARC + WP, you’ll probably have a 1 year contract, which it would be inconvenient to break even if the employer turns out to be crap. With a WHV, you may find a better offer after a few months. I don’t condone wanton contract-breaking, but labor law violations are so common that before you know it you’ll probably have a legitimate reason to break a contract anyway. :popcorn: