Kaohsiung vs Taipei

What about Tongyong Pinyin and KS?

Not to be picky but Taipei is actually hotter than Kaohsiung in the summertime.

1 Like

Really? Because Kaohsiung in summer is like Danteā€™s 9th circle of hell. I always thought Taipei was a bit cooler in summer. Maybe Kaohsiung has worse humidity then?

Taipei is surrounded by mountains. So, hot air comes, and stays. Next, water from rains comes. It pours down and fills the natural ā€œcooking potā€ formed by mountains. And then itā€™s hot again, and everything and everybody just boils alive.

Natural phenomena explanation may be completely faulty here, but this is how it usually feels.

I doubt Kaohsiung has worse humidity either.
Kaohsiung is just hot for longer throughout the year.
But last year especially the heat went on and on.
Taiwan has been getting steadily hotter. More concrete and global warming.

Even cities like Hsinchu can go to almost 40c.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2017/08/08/2003676121

I previously lived and studied in Taoyuan and we went to Taipei every other day. Since then I visited the island couple of times (as at the moment I am working in Shanghai). I am considering to move back to Taiwan and I have some job offers on the table - mainly from south. As I have never been to Kaohsiung before (going soon for the first time) I am curious about pretty much everything. What I saw and read about KHH it seems like a nice place for me. If I move there I am planning to buy a car (before I had a scooter but being a few years older I prefer car) so public transport is not something that bothers me at all. As for the air pullutionā€¦ well, I guess its still better than Mainland C. :smiley:

1 Like

Was asked this week by client down there to switch all place names in a document to Tongyong Pinyin.

And I thought we were past that phaseā€¦ :roll_eyes:

https://tw.forumosa.com/search?context=topic&context_id=196072&q=Taipei&skip_context=true

Whats the comparison between the two cities like today ??

Thereā€™s been a couple of threads on this since this one. I live in Kaohsiung. Itā€™s livable, with an MRT and some interesting areas like Pier-2 creative park, Lotus Pond, Love River, Cijin Island, Formosa Boulevard and Monkey Mountain (forget the real name, but everyone just calls it this)ā€¦ plus you have the normal comforts youā€™d expect like huge department stores (Kaohsiung Arena, Dream Mall) and nice parks (Central Park, Aozihdi Park) and some decent (but not great) restaurantsā€¦ restaurants are definitely better and more varied in Taipei, especially western placesā€¦ although we do have Arkansas Diner.

Overall, I prefer Taipei though. Air pollution is bad here, and yes we have some nice areas as I said, but Taipei is much bigger and more varied. Plus, thereā€™s a bit more of that ignorant, old school Ghost Island mentality down here. Like I said, itā€™s okay, but if my wife wasnā€™t a Kaohsiungnite and if I didnā€™t have my uni job here, Iā€™d definitely move to Taipei. Like in a heartbeat. If we donā€™t move back to the west, we will probably settle in Taipei eventually.

5 Likes

Regarding Kaohsiung restaurants, I have two words for you: Kyomo Pasta.

Donā€™t skip the dessert(s). : D

Guy

1 Like

Pretty much this ā€“ the only thing Iā€™d like to add is that I personally think the weather in the south is slightly better than the north.

• Itā€™s slightly hotter down here, but Kaohsiung has much less of that ā€œcold damp rainyā€ winter where nothing drys and youā€™re just cold all the time (Taipei is also pretty hot, this is Taiwan after all).

Iā€™ve also seen reports that Kaohsiung is something like ~30% cheaper than Taipei ā€“ if your income is not dependent on location this can make a difference (I assume jobs in Kaohsiung also pay ~30% less).

4 Likes

This is true. One of the perks.

Donā€™t know about other fields, but from my reading here it seems teaching jobs pay roughly the same (which granted, is not much to begin with).

3 Likes

Also in defence of Kaohsiung: if you have access to a vehicle, the mountains of Pingdong (Rukai and Paiwan territories) are among the most beautiful places on this island.

Guy

1 Like

Please do elaborate on this.

Iā€™m sold on KHH!

The price of the lower cost of living is years off your life.

Between October to May (I.e. when there is no rain to wash it away, and especially when the wind changes and brings in more from China, though that is not the only contributor by far), it is pretty rank here.

Thereā€™s endless debates about whether itā€™s worse here or in Taichung due to the coal plant and its own share of manufacturing, but I feel it worse down here. Thanks for the link in that regard. And it gets better the further North, apparently.

kaohsiung no too bad

If you are referring to my post about the mountains of Pingtung, you could check out Wutai among other amazing places:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g13808453-d8798105-Reviews-Wutai_Scenic_Area-Wutai_Pingtung.html

Guy