Kaoshiung to Taroko to Green Island to Kenting by car

Hi,

So this may be somewhere in this post but I couldn’t find it. My sister is coming. I have Friday, Sat., Sun., Mon. and Tuesday to show her Taiwan.

I think renting a car would be best so we can get to places quickly. So, we plan to rent a car in Kaoshiung. Then to Taroko. How long with it take to get there by car? Suggestions on where to stay? Then to Green Island, again how long? And then to Kenting, how long?

Ideas, suggestions. Is this feasible?? Any help appreciated. Thanks!!

I’d suggest taking a look at a map and doing the trip this way.

-Go to Kending first as it is the closest and easiest place to get to from Kaohsiung.

-To go to Green Island. I would take the roads from Kending that snake through to Taidong. I found it a nice scenic trip on a scooter. Then get to Taidong harbor and take the ferry over. Roads 26-200甲-200-26-199甲-199-9, make sure you have a good map book.

-Then just drive up the coast to Hualian and Taroko

Take the way you came back and you should be good. I’d check the road conditions just to be safe.

You’re gonna need some kind of special car to get to Green Island, probably.

So it’s not a car ferry? Where should I leave my car whilst on island, if I can’t bring it with me? Do dogs have to be caged, or merely leashed? Hammerheads look out. Here come da MIghty Toe!!!

There is a large car parking at the harbor where you can leave your car … and I have no idea if they allow dogs on the ferry …

here’s the ferry company’s phone# 089 281617 (9)

the ferry from taidong to green has an outdoor waiting area, you can provably have dogs there. I have seen people take their purse dogs on without issue, so i doubt its a problem. could always call them first. ferry is only 40 mins, but if you get sea sick, bring your meds. i get MAD seasickness and i am laid out the first day after that fricken ocean! when we took my sister and mom the way there was ok, but the way back our windows inside the ferry were going under water and the swells were easily 3 meters+. My mother took a great family video of my sister crying and praying to god to live :bravo:

I second going to kenting first. 2-3 hour drive form K-town. Kenting to Taidong is a few hours (3-4), faster if you drive like a Taiwanese person. Taidong to toroko i forget exactly how long, but 4 hours seems about right?

ps green island will be pretty dead right now. I like it better now but there will be few shops open. Be sure to hit up the hotspring. it used to be 24 hour bu heard it snot now…?? go to the pool sin the coral rock by the ocean, hot but really nice at night. you should really rent a scooter when you are there. I think it was around 200-300/day in winter when we were there.

[quote=“Pingdong”]the ferry from taidong to green has an outdoor waiting area, you can provably have dogs there. I have seen people take their purse dogs on without issue, so i doubt its a problem. could always call them first. ferry is only 40 mins, but if you get sea sick, bring your meds. i get MAD seasickness and i am laid out the first day after that fricken ocean! when we took my sister and mom the way there was ok, but the way back our windows inside the ferry were going under water and the swells were easily 3 meters+. My mother took a great family video of my sister crying and praying to god to live :bravo:

I second going to kenting first. 2-3 hour drive form K-town. Kenting to Taidong is a few hours (3-4), faster if you drive like a Taiwanese person. Taidong to toroko i forget exactly how long, but 4 hours seems about right?

ps green island will be pretty dead right now. I like it better now but there will be few shops open. Be sure to hit up the hotspring. it used to be 24 hour bu heard it snot now…?? go to the pool sin the coral rock by the ocean, hot but really nice at night. you should really rent a scooter when you are there. I think it was around 200-300/day in winter when we were there.[/quote]

haha on that “praying to God to live” . I regret never having been to Green Island or ORchid island but I think id still chance the ferry over the flight over on one of those tiny planes. Let me stick a review of that flight (seems ok really and they have not had an accident in a long long time) when i find it. WAtch this space:

ya the flight is pretty tiny and bumpy. I just took my first one last week to orchid, got sick then too but nothing compared to the ferry! plus 20 mins vs 3 hours of pure hellish puking is an easy choice for me lol. Not so easy getting flights to orchid on convenient traveling times though.

green island is cool and everything. nice hotspring and really cool stick insects, but its dry and hot. Orchid island actually has forests and mountains, I far prefer orchid over green for that reason.

Yeah? Good to know. Heres the write up bout a flight to green island (not by me)

airliners.net/aviation-forum … in/191850/