Keeping a garage clean of cats and rats!

Well can anyone tell me a way to deter cats from entering our garage? It’s really pissing me off, and I can understand why people just get fed up and trap them instead of detering them. Our garage hosts about six cats and as well as cleaning up six rotting, dead rats and two birds, I also cleaned up two dead kittens these past few days. Everyone that uses the garage is sick to death of being eaten by fleas and I just want to find the best solution. I remember back in England, we had a device that put out a high pitched scream that mice couldn’t stand and it rid a challet of them in less than a week. I’m after something similar if I can get hold of one, so if anyone has seen one, then please let me know.
Of course someone must be thinking a dog might be the answer, but it isn’t possible as the cats use the roof supports to travel from one side of the garage to the other side and enter the roof of the building next door. I wouldn’t want to keep a dog in a garage anyway.
Is there some sort of spray I can use?
I know I can fill all of the holes with wire, to stop them from entering, but I am also concerned that when I come to wire the hole in the roof of the building next door, I might trap the cats inside, and they’ll starve to death, so I need to be sure they are out before I wire it up.

Help please, as this is a serious health problem to everyone that uses our garage, and our landlord has done F all to help so far. I am paying out for everything myself, but I’m glad to do it as no one else gives a crap and things will only get worse.

Wiring all the holes up is probably the best and only way.

If a cat gets stuck in the roof, it’ll most likely meow until you let it out instead of starving to death quietly. If you do it at night, the cats are more likely not to be home or sleeping in the roof etc.

If the roof of the building next door has a hole leading to your garage, perhaps it has more holes leading elsewhere too? Cats can squeeze past really narrow spaces, like 3-4 inch high spaces under gates, etc.

Or catch them and then do something with them.

Fleas you might have to fumigate.

Lion dung is your friend (really works), but if they don’t have that in Wellcome, wait until you are certain the kittens are old enough to move out by themselves, then burn citronella oil in there, and spray it around. Cats hate anything citrous, and so it makes a great deterrent.

Don’t buy anything made strictly for this purpose, as pet products are famously overpriced; just get citronella or any citrousy smelling sprays and go to town on the place.

BTW, irishstu smells like lion dung, so perhaps let him sleep in your garage for a few days.

(If I spelt citrous wrong, sue me.)

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Lion dung is your friend (really works), but if they don’t have that in Wellcome, wait until you are certain the kittens are old enough to move out by themselves, then burn citronella oil in there, and spray it around. Cats hate anything citrous, and so it makes a great deterrent.

Don’t buy anything made strictly for this purpose, as pet products are famously overpriced; just get citronella or any citrousy smelling sprays and go to town on the place.

BTW, irishstu smells like lion dung, so perhaps let him sleep in your garage for a few days.

(If I spelt citrous wrong, sue me.)[/quote]

I might just make my own lemon spray and give it a try tomorrow then, as I have a whole bag of lemons sitting in my kitchen.
Thanks for the ideas guys, and can I get the number of the guy that smells like Lion dung? Can I perhaps rent him for the day? He doesn’t charge as much as English teachers does he?

irishstu? He’ll be happy to sleep anywhere inside, so don’t worry about reimbursing him; he’d only spend it on hallucinogens anyway. :wink:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]

BTW, irishstu smells like lion dung[/quote]

Is that why you wet yourself every time I see you, Stray Dog? :wink: