Keeping warm in winter

I live in a big house on the top of a rather windy hill. (They should call it Windy Forest Hill instead of Sunny Forest Hill)

Electric heaters are out of the question, as they are a bit weak and quite expensive to run in the number needed.

What alternative solutions would you recommend?

I am thinking of buying a kerosene heater from abroad and have it shipped in. (Kerosene is cheap here).

Another solution would be a stobe, but getting the chimney built without making structural changes to my rented house would be hard.

Any ideas?

If you can get one of those Scandanavian wood-burning stoves you won’t need a chimney. All you need is a hearth made of bricks or breezeblocks to rest the stove on. Then, if your house windows are divided into a main bottom section with a smaller section above it, you just replace the small window with a sheet of thin metal with a hole in it, and you can then feed the tin chimney of the stove out through the hole and seal it up. That’s how they did it in the house I was telling you about on Saturday (or were you too drunk to remember? :wink: ) No punching holes in the walls required.

But did they have any problems with the wind? I can take a pipe out thru the aircon hole no problem, but I’m nervous that the wind will stop the smoke coming out.

You can get light portable wood burning stoves from the US cheaply.

Do you know of any with lost of experience in getting and installing a wood-burning stove?

[quote=“Mr He”]But did they have any problems with the wind? I can take a pipe out thru the aircon hole no problem, but I’m nervous that the wind will stop the smoke coming out.

You can get light portable stoves from the US cheaply.[/quote]
They had one of those spinning things mounted on the end of the chimney. It has angled vents on it, so that the slightest wind makes it spin, and the vents create suction so that the smoke can go OUT, but the wind can’t blow the smoke back IN.

That sounds smart. I will look further.

Yes, I was a bit drunk last saturday.

The spinning thing sounds smart.

Does anyone here know if you can buy stoves here locally?

Were you equally drunk when I made very much the same suggestion to you last night . . . you know, when I strongly advised against buying a kerosene heater off e-bay from the US?

:laughing:
HG

No, you were (stolen passports anyone?). I just try to explore my options, after I made my bids lapse and rethought the whole thing.

Now, if you could post the details of the guy who knew how to make one of those things?

Isn’t it a secret that we know each other?

Well damn you to hell. not now it isn’t. Gawd, was that the sky falling?

HG

OK, what’s the name of the guy???

Ooh! Ooh! I just remembered. Bikefarm (bright yellow banner here on Forumosa) has an attached used bookshop with a very cool-looking black cast-iron stove in it. I don’t know if its actually connected to a chimney or not, but I’ll try tomorrow to get some info from Jeremy about it.

That sounds great… Thanks.

Mr. He.

Mr. He.

You were pissed last night. I told you last night about Jeremy and his slow combustion thingy. "chap that rents motorbikes, etc . . "

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

HG

Well, some extra directions and additional input.

I hope that I get a lot of good ideas, but would still like to get in touch with jeremy.

Gentlemen, I did some measuring in my house.

I can’t install any kind of chimney without having to either block the view out of my big bay window - and loose the curtains I have there, or drill thru 15 cm of concrete. (While I don’t mind, I think that the landlord won’t like it.) Otherwise, the chimney will have to go down for some 150 centimeters.

The bad thing is that my house is not a square box, they have made lots of curves, balconies covered entranceways etc, which makes it hard to just remove a bit of glass and lead the chimney thru the window.

Any other suggestions on how to keep warm?

For people who want a wood stove shipped in without breaking the bank, try this: packsaddleshop.com

The smallest one can be shipped in for US$40 surface mail. You are likely to pay NT$5000 for a wood stove landed, if you go for a light cheap one.

But I need a solution which might be vented, but which dows not need a chimney.

Gentlemen, I did some measuring in my house.

I can’t install any kind of chimney without having to either block the view out of my big bay window - and loose the curtains I have there, or drill thru 15 cm of concrete. (While I don’t mind, I think that the landlord won’t like it.) Otherwise, the chimney will have to go down for some 150 centimeters.

The bad thing is that my house is not a square box, they have made lots of curves, balconies covered entranceways etc, which makes it hard to just remove a bit of glass and lead the chimney thru the window.

Any other suggestions on how to keep warm?

For people who want a wood stove shipped in without breaking the bank, try this: packsaddleshop.com

The smallest one can be shipped in for US$40 surface mail. You are likely to pay NT$5000 for a wood stove landed, if you go for a light cheap one.

But I need a solution which might be vented, but which dows not need a chimney.

Just remember that CO is a silent, odourless and tasteless killer. You won’t know anything about it until you wake up dead.

That would be a problem for a poorly installed wood-burning stove as well.

What I would do is to put up a co alarm or 2. That should do the trick.

Apart from that, the poor quality of the windows here should ensure a steady air flow. (And you always make sure that a window is slightly open when you operate a combustion heater in your house). I will have to learn to live with the smell of kerosene, unless someone here knows of where to get a gas heater.

… And Sandman & Huang. Next time I move, I will get a wood burning stove, but it’s too hard to install in my house as things are now.

Alternatively you could get one of those little red burners, set the front of the house up as a shrine and get people to burn oddles of burney stuff in it. Great for fending off the ghosts and it’ll warm you up. Bet the landlady won’t complain either.

HG

I (read my missus) have one of those. As I prefer to have my heaters indoors, the smoke would drive me out in the cold.

Wait a minute, it gets cold in Taiwan during the winter. I will have to tell my mother that one (she still lives in New Hampshire, the state of my birth). Winter is my favorite time of year in Taiwan. THe only time where I don’t think it is too warm.