Keeping warm in winter

They cost a fortune to run and you usually have to huddle round them to get any benefit. Maybe if you live in one of those hermetically sealable apartments with tiny rooms a space heater would be OK, but I’m afraid my place sounds more like Mr. He’s – through breeze? Sure I have, whether I like it or not.
I’ve been wondering about one of those oil-filled radiators you can get. I’ve heard they’re not too expensive to run and work quite well. Anyone have one of these things?

Dear Sandman,

I have one. If the room is not too big, and the windows are ok, it’ll slowly heat it up and your flat will be warm and cosy. The one I have worked well in my old flat, and I trust that it will do the trick in my bedroom this winter. It’s not that cheap to run. The one I have, which is 1.5kw, will cost you NT$6~NT$7 to rum. (1 kw is around NT$4+)

It’s my experience that it works as small water-filled radiator. If they were 3-4 times bigger, then they would be able to help me out, but the surface area of them is not that big.

If it’s a room like my current living room - not a chance in hell that it will keep you warm unless you sit on it or you invest in a couple of the thingies. That’ll be expensive and you will draw too many amps for your system to support, unless your house and your electrical installations are new.

I have seen one which runs on 220v - intended to be plugged into the aircon outlet. It’s NT$7k and might be enough. Likely to be expensive to run, though.

I hope you have board games. I like to play board games like Yahtzee and Monopoly with my girlfriend while in bed. I’m not really sure what else to do.

I do. It works great! :sunglasses:

We have 4 of those radiators, each with 2,5kW effect. Our place is 55 ping, with a lot of through breeze. They work pretty OK. However, the first winter we used all of them, our electrical system bonked out - the 110V circuits and wiring was only dimensioned to handle 5kW, and we attemted to run 10kW!! We had to change all the wiring (burnt out) and install a new “thingy” to handle the 10kW.

I have been expecting the 220V versions for a couple of years now, and finally…

How about installing pipes around the house with water radiators, and use the hot water gas heater?

…but still expensive like hell.

[quote=“Mr He”]An interesting solution.

However, how does one apply if one’s neither hairy nor fat?[/quote]

Hmm…maybe stuck some cotton balls in your shirt? Wear shirt underneth every shirt of yours?

[quote]Miaka,

Why on earth would you want to be squeezed up with an almas-wookie, when you could have the delights of one of us smooth slim radiant north-Europeans? Some of us have lots of meat as well, nudge, nudge. [/quote]

Well, would you like to be my sample so I can try it out first?? If I do’nt like it, maybe I return it for a full refound?

I just heard from a co-worker that if you eat a lot or eat chocolate it keeps you warm, I wonder if it is true…

[quote=“MiakaW”][quote=“Mr He”]An interesting solution.

Hmm…maybe stuck some cotton balls in your shirt? Wear shirt underneth every shirt of yours?

[quote]Miaka,

Why on earth would you want to be squeezed up with an almas-wookie, when you could have the delights of one of us smooth slim radiant north-Europeans? Some of us have lots of meat as well, nudge, nudge. [/quote]

Well, would you like to be my sample so I can try it out first?? If I do’nt like it, maybe I return it for a full refound?

I just heard from a co-worker that if you eat a lot or eat chocolate it keeps you warm, I wonder if it is true…[/quote]

i thought you meant you had a furry dog. which would be cruel in taiwan cuz of the climate.

actually if you eat a lot of cold foods and drinks, you can trick your body into heating up. although apparently that also wrecks your health.

[quote=“Kenny McCormick”][quote=“MiakaW”][quote=“Mr He”]An interesting solution.

[quote]Miaka,

I just heard from a co-worker that if you eat a lot or eat chocolate it keeps you warm, I wonder if it is true…[/quote]

I thought you meant you had a furry dog. which would be cruel in Taiwan cuz of the climate.[/quote]

Hey, how do you know, I do have a furry doggie with me. But for some reason, he likes to sleep on the floor. Good thing that he sleeps on the floor since he snores…strange isn’t it?

Tomas, I said we’d play twister. You really do need teaching how to do these things right don’t you?

Hey, and I scored a 1 on the ‘are you metrosexual’ test. That was purely because of my literature tastes too. Being smooth-skinned just means that my ancestors came down from the trees before those of some other people I could mention. You bloody yetis get so self-righteous when the cold seaon starts! I’m glad not everyone is so narrow-minded:

Miaka, honey, I’m sure we can work something out. I’ll give you a freebie (at Mr He’s place) the first time, how does that sound? I’m sure you’ll like it enough to pay for the full service through the winter. Hurry though, I’m nearly booked up and may have to take on an apprentice soon.

[quote=“X3M”]

I have been expecting the 220V versions for a couple of years now, and finally…

How about installing pipes around the house with water radiators, and use the hot water gas heater?[/quote]

If I haven’t mentioned it, then I saw then in 3C in Yangmei. Try to take a look in a month or so, they should be there.

I thought about that solution as well. you would need lots of tubes and a circulation pump, so you could force the gas heater to start. (it only works when the water is circulating). I think it will be expensive unless you live in a place with piped gas or you run it sparingly.

No, the smoke would be so bad, you’d seek fresh air before. And besides, there is more CO2 than CO in burning wood. Now, if dying is your goal, buring coal in your bathroom with the door shut should be cozy enough to doze off before you kick it. Then, if you are going to hell, it should be warm enough.

My solution is to find a person. You don’t have to be in love or have sex with them. Just get real intimate with them and see if they would not mind keeping warm together at night. “I won’t try anything funny. Believe me, I am not attracted to you. You aren’t even the right gender!”
I tried this last week and it worked. Plus, I have a new intimate friend.

Kerosun rules where I am!

Does anyone have any advice for a space heater? We saw one that uses some kind of oil liquid inside (?) at Costco for around NT$2500. I

The oil-filled ones are more or less OK, but try to look for a kerosene heater. There’s a place near Xinhai Rd selling them.

Most space heaters here are for small spaces.

For heating solutions look here:

[Where to buy a gas heater

or here:

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ter#141886](5 degrees cold and Flipflops

or here:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … r&&start=0

have fun.

Thanks a lot Mr. He!

It feels cold because of the humidity. Get a de-humidifier.

Even de-humidified air keeping 15C is still cold…

I would run a kero heater and a dehumidifier at the same time.

If you are in the market for an electric space heater, I have a recommendation.

I’ll recommend a ceramic electric heater. The one I’m talking about is made by Northern, Model PTC626A . I bought mine at Surewell for about $1500. (Ouch! But worth it.)

It has two heat settings, oscillates, thermostat, sponge filter. Case stays cool to the touch, puts out a real stream of heat to warm an entire room quickly. One-year warranty.

It

OOC: Where’s Surewell? Google not helping me much on this one…