Kelley Blue Book equivalent in Taiwan?

Is there by chance a website like Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds in Taiwan that can provide a decent estimate for car value in Taiwan? Looking to buy a used car and trying to estimate fair value. Thanks.

Most times I’ve seen people just go to the car sales websites to get a rough idea. But there’s lots of fraud there, like bait and switch or wrong information about the mileage, condition, … So I guess looking at the price ranges there helps, but better ignore the"too cheap to be true" entries.

In case you’re not in an ultra tight budget, and you value quality, then I’d suggest using the Autocheckers service offered by @sulavaca . He professionally helps source and check used cars - at “Western” non-chabuduo standards.

2 Likes

You could check prices on SAA.

https://www.sinjang.com.tw/Portal/

1 Like

These are some local websites , but these are only for reference , so you can get a rough idea of prices

2 Likes

So do you mean these websites (Sum, Abc, Hotcar) are not trustworthy?

I would like to get a 7 seater car since I have a big family and the following types of cars seems to be the right fit for us: Toyota Sienta (2018up) or Toyota Wish (2016).
My budget is in between NT350,000 to 500,000max. Would I be able to get the car that I want with this budget?
Much appreciate your advise.

My experience dealing with these sites is that they are indeed not quite trustworthy, especially with actual used car dealers:

• Dealers advertise cars that they do not have in their possession (car may really be for sale at another dealer though, or from an individual they copied the ad from), and put a markup on the original cost
  • Advertised KM are not true, and when calling, there is really 20-30% more km on the car. (I even got the excuse one day when calling that the listed mileage was a mistake, and was posted in miles instead of kilometers)
  • Price listed is only a “deposit” and does not represent 100% of the vehicle cost
  • For more “exotic” or sport oriented cars. dealers want a deposit before the test drive that may not be refunded if there was nothing wrong with the car but you decide to not buy it anyway…
  • The list goes on…

They just want you to come to their lot so that while they may not have the car that you are looking for, they have others that they may offer for you to buy (with a higher cost than your original option of course). That is their hope anyway.
There are certainly dealers out there that are honest and will help you find what you need, but I would be cautious if any red flags appear.
There are groups (eg:Facebook) that will have individuals only sales. Then you likely shou have a 3rd party inspect the car before you commit to purchasing it.

Good luck.

1 Like

There are several ppl on the forum here who used @sulavaca to source and check on a good car. Jamie is a stand up guy.
https://www.actaiwan.org/

Not car related but this is what I find very frustrating with Taiwanese retailers.

They never list the price and/or lists prices for an item that they don’t have in their possession on their online listing (like ruten or Shopee), or lists the price as “99,999,999” as in they basically want you to call. So there is no way I can get even a rough idea of prices for items that I may not know the going rate for. It seems they just hope that you are ignorant of the market so they can rip you off. Dealers like this is everywhere and demanding honesty means not buying from anyone.

And so at times I’ve taken to simply buy off of Taobao because their prices are very up front though after sales support is not that great (mainly because Chinese customs hates returns and will basically hold onto the shipment forever if they know it is a return) however Taobao itself seems to side with buyers (they require an escrow or deposit for sellers in order to sell on the platform).

1 Like

That was absolutely my experience as well. There are some decent dealers and wide range of dealers in Taoyuan. Best just to go to the lots and see what they have. Don’t bother with going to Taichung if from North …They will waste your time.

I recommend this guy in Taoyuan city, straightforward to deal with and reasonable prices, will help with any upgrades necessary , decent cars. Bit of a unique character .

偉峰汽車商行