Kending hostels

Hey there, I’m going to be in Kending for three nights and have never been there before. I can’t find any couchsurfers listed in the area, so I will resort to hostels. I went to hostelworld already and it only has 8 hostels listed. They seem okay, but I was wondering if anyone has a favorite hostel of Kending? My budget is preferably around 500-700NT a night and easy transportation to the center of the city, night market, the park, beaches etc.

If you know of a good place, could you give me their contact email or phone and location?

Thanks so much.

Oh also, I’ll be going to Taitung in a bit, and I wanna CS but in case I don’t get any hosts, could you recommend me a good hostel there, too?

My good friend’s hostel in DongHe (near Taidong)

tw.myblog.yahoo.com/taidongsurfshop

[quote=“one_too”]Hey there, I’m going to be in Kending for three nights and have never been there before. I can’t find any couchsurfers listed in the area, so I will resort to hostels. I went to hostelworld already and it only has 8 hostels listed. They seem okay, but I was wondering if anyone has a favorite hostel of Kending? My budget is preferably around 500-700NT a night and easy transportation to the center of the city, night market, the park, beaches etc.

If you know of a good place, could you give me their contact email or phone and location?

Thanks so much.

Oh also, I’ll be going to Taidong in a bit, and I wanna CS but in case I don’t get any hosts, could you recommend me a good hostel there, too?[/quote]

There’s a camping place just southeast of Kending Town that is pretty cheap. I don’t think they have hostels. There are guesthouses but hard to get a bed for less than 1000 NT unless you are longer term or have some guanxi.

In Hengchun. The surfshack
www.taiwansurfshack.com

btw, kenting is not a city. It’s a series of small villages around a national park. Kenting town is the biggest town bit it’s only a km long.

Nor is there slightest bit of public transport in the area so you need to rent a scooter or bike. Add another NT400-500 a day.

[quote=“one_too”]Hey there, I’m going to be in Kending for three nights and have never been there before. I can’t find any couchsurfers listed in the area, so I will resort to hostels. I went to hostelworld already and it only has 8 hostels listed. They seem okay, but I was wondering if anyone has a favorite hostel of Kending? My budget is preferably around 500-700NT a night and easy transportation to the center of the city, night market, the park, beaches etc.

Thanks so much.

Oh also, I’ll be going to Taidong in a bit, and I wanna CS but in case I don’t get any hosts, could you recommend me a good hostel there, too?[/quote]

There’s information on my Around Taiwan video (2/4) at 8:01 about a guest house run by a Mr. Chou, situated in Jinluen, a few kilometers south of Taimali (Taidong county) which is one of my favourite spots. He charges 600NT per night, per person. He has outdoor hot spring baths, cooking and BBQ facilities, a swimming pool and they can also offer local dishes and breakfast if you don’t wish to cook your own. He was kind enough to let my mother rent his scooter when she and her partner stayed there for a few days. He will likely offer a pick-up and return from Jinluen should you need one.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]In Hengchun. The surfshack
taiwansurfshack.com

btw, Kending is not a city. It’s a series of small villages around a national park. Kending town is the biggest town bit it’s only a km long.

Nor is there slightest bit of public transport in the area so you need to rent a scooter or bike.
Add another NT400-500 a day.[/quote]

Actually, the Kending Express buses and the other companies that operate from Hengchun function as public transport. You can easily get a bus from Hengchun to Maobitou, Nanwan, Kending Town, Mudan, Jaleshui, or Eruanbi. But as far as I know there’s nothing that takes you into the forested hills part of the park. Hitchhiking is also a real option if you are on a shoestring.