Kenting

Hi,

one stupid question: Would you recommend to go to Kenting as a single traveller (male) or does it suck?

[quote=“go2taiwan”]Hi,

one stupid question: Would you recommend to go to Kending as a single traveller (male) or does it suck?[/quote]

I wouldn’t recommend going anywhere alone unless you speak fluent Chinese, but it’s pretty awkward approaching other people if you have no friends with you. Bring a Taiwanese wingman.

well, I’ll just spend a few days in Taiwan, I’m working in the Mainland. My Chinese is quite fluent. Problem is, that I haven’t been to Taiwan for ages and basicly know nobody

[quote=“go2taiwan”]Hi,

one stupid question: Would you recommend to go to Kending as a single traveller (male) or does it suck?[/quote]

There are plenty of people to meet there. Just introduce yourself. I’ve been there plenty of times to know it isn’t difficult. Waking up without a hangover is difficult though.
There are many couples there and families at this time of year and not so many travellers by comparison. I found one of the best and most friendly places to be in Kenting is the campsite. It doesn’t really matter which one, but campers tend to be more friendly and chatty than most. Its a hot time to go camping though.

I love Kenting, as long as there is a shortage of loud, obnoxious foreigners there. I never go in the peak season, that way I can avoid the noisy groups. Its much nicer and the accommodation is cheaper too. Oh, and it isn’t quite as hot, which is great for me as I’m a pasty boy and can’t take more than twenty minutes with a shirt off, or I’ll peel like a snake.

EDIT: There’s a bit about Kenting in the Taiwan travel video in my signature.

In Kending, if you want to make friends, it helps to speak Canto. About half the tourists are from HK. Kending is heavily promoted by HK travel agencies. Also, the farther from the beach you get, the more reasonable the room rates are.