Keyhole

Now this is interesting.

keyhole.com/

It’s not interesting only but it’s also GREAT! It should be moved to the open forum.

Thanks for posting the link. :slight_smile:

“Snow Crash” lives.

Google is starting to scare me. Better upgrade my tinfoil hat.

I’ve heard that’s a cool book. I’ll have to get myself a copy. Maybe there’s an e-book floating about on the net somewhere (that I could buy :wink:)

Keyhole is awesome. Although I couldn’t see my apartment in Shi-jr cos
they only seem to provide mapping up to Neihu, I saw my parents house back home and much more. Is Keyhole using the same system as GPS?

Great to take a peek at cities you havn’t seen before. Places like Cambodia, Burma are not covered though. Tried to look at Samui but it was all blurry too.

What do you mean? GPS is used for positioning (i.e. find a place based on the coordinate system) while keyhole uses satellite pictures to construct the images. AFAIK they use different satellites, probably there is only one (or very few) that circles the earth to shoot those pictures while GPS has around 36 or so sats at a “fixed” location, constantly broadcasting a signal that is picked up by your GPS receiver (which will then calculate the location based on those).

Yeah, not many places outside the US are covered, hardly any city in Europe. Tokyo for example is very detailed though, even managed to find the hotel I stayed at …

[quote=“Spack”]Google is starting to scare me. Better upgrade my tinfoil hat.

I’ve heard that’s a cool book. I’ll have to get myself a copy. Maybe there’s an e-book floating about on the net somewhere (that I could buy :wink:)[/quote]

anything of his is good, particularly that one. cryptomonicon was stunning.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]
anything of his is good, particularly that one. cryptomonicon was stunning.[/quote]

I’m reading it now. :laughing: