KFC in Taiwan

Who the heck is running KFC in Taiwan anyways?

Why can’t you get original recipe flavor chicken?

No mashed potatoes and gravy, only deep fried potatoes? And when they did (for a while), tomato pasta sauce? :loco:

At least in Mainland China they keep these two American basic items on their localized menu.

–very frustrating :eh:

3 Likes

Yeah, every time I think about it I just punch myself in the gut and then I am reminded of what happens when I eat that garbage.

4 Likes

Ha! A safe bet sometimes and not the greatest meal for sure. At least I don’t get the runs from the mom and pop noodle shops.

Funny you mention that. I just had KFC today, and I was reminded as to why I said I wouldn’t go there again the last time.

Felt good eating it, 20 minutes later felt like garbage with a major sugar high from the Pepsi, and then wanted to go to sleep for the afternoon but couldn’t due to having class. Pure torture.

Never again… Til the next time.

Been an hour since scarfing down this extra crispy (oily) KFC garbage that’s only available after 8pm and deep fried potatoe with sodium flavoring. Eyes blurry. Feet swelling. Pfst! Excuse me, racing now that I got extra gas.

The only reason I go to KFC is for the original finger lickin’ good Kentucky Fried Chicken. Most young people these days have never heard of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

KFC is just a corporate shadow, bathing in the limelight of Colonel Sander’s corpse.

And where’s my coleslaw?

1 Like

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]The only reason I go to KFC is for the original finger lickin’ good Kentucky Fried Chicken. Most young people these days have never heard of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

KFC is just a corporate shadow, bathing in the limelight of Colonel

And where’s my coleslaw?[/quote]

Ohh! That’s right! Coleslaw! They still serve that at the KFC in China.

These people running KFC in Taiwan have turned the brand into a shadowy shell of shame serving greasy garbage. :frowning:

3 Likes

[quote=“El Jefe”]

These people running KFC in Taiwan have turned the brand into a shadowy shell of shame serving greasy garbage. :frowning:[/quote]

The good Colonel based his enterprise on bringing the good ol’ southern fried chicken and side dishes to the rest of the world.

After he died, a bunch of MBA’s took over the management of his successful enterprise.

AMericanMBA1: Hey, what’s ‘Kentucky’ mean?

AmericanMBA2: I don’t know, but I can’t spell it none.

AmericanMBA3: Hey, say, we makes it simple to spell, we can sell more chicken.

AmericanMBA1: Right on! How 'bouts we rebrand to KFC.

AmericanMBA2: High five.

After postmortem rebranding, time for Asian expansion…

TaiwaneseMBA4: Foreign tastes are not the same. Taiwan is not a foreign market. Recipe must change, menu must change. No more coleslaw. Too much cabbage. Too sweet, too sour. Taiwan people like Macao egg tart. Spicy night market chicken. Popcorn chicken OK. No mashed potato, only QQ potato.

AmericanMBA1-4: High Five!!!

I remember walking into a Taipei KFC 12 years ago and being shocked that original recipe was not available. I don’t think Taiwanese tastes are that different from HK/Singapore and I remember seeing original recipe in the KFCs in those other places.

You can usually get the original, but it’s usually the last two pieces kind of deal.

The best KFC in Asia is in Penang in an old colonial concerted mansion. I kid you not. It’s still KFC of course.

I just get guilt pangs from eating baby chickens.

Don’t forget what happened to Dominos.
Cheesey pastry shrimp cake with mayonnaise. Yum.

At least you don’t go into KFC and get served beef!

Back in the ol country they serve Kentucky’s with a potato salad to die for. I do not know if that is a local addition, though. Haven’t had KFC in its birthland lately. Nor the localized variety here in a long time.

However, for Peck’s chicken steak I willingly and gleefully risk whatever you get from the washing the stuff off the gutter.

Icon, you mean this place, right?

Hands down the best tasting ji pai chain in Taiwan. :lick:

2 Likes

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]Icon, you mean this place, right?

Hands down the best tasting ji pai chain in Taiwan. :lick:[/quote]

Yep, just don’t ask, don’t tell!

1 Like

Been to a few KFC in China and they keep the original recipe and mashed potatoes. But they also localize by adding soup and wood mushroom salad.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”][quote=“El Jefe”]

These people running KFC in Taiwan have turned the brand into a shadowy shell of shame serving greasy garbage. :frowning:[/quote]

The good Colonel based his enterprise on bringing the good ol’ southern fried chicken and side dishes to the rest of the world.

After he died, a bunch of MBA’s took over the management of his successful enterprise.

AMericanMBA1: Hey, what’s ‘Kentucky’ mean?

AmericanMBA2: I don’t know, but I can’t spell it none.

AmericanMBA3: Hey, say, we makes it simple to spell, we can sell more chicken.

AmericanMBA1: Right on! How 'bouts we rebrand to KFC.

AmericanMBA2: High five.

After postmortem rebranding, time for Asian expansion…

TaiwaneseMBA4: Foreign tastes are not the same. Taiwan is not a foreign market. Recipe must change, menu must change. No more coleslaw. Too much cabbage. Too sweet, too sour. Taiwan people like Macao egg tart. Spicy night market chicken. Popcorn chicken OK. No mashed potato, only QQ potato.

AmericanMBA1-4: High Five!!![/quote]

These MBAs must have gotten their education more than 20 years ago.

I thought the ‘thin crust’ was original recipe? Tastes like it to me.

[quote=“Icon”]Back in the ol country they serve Kentucky’s with a potato salad to die for. I do not know if that is a local addition, though. Haven’t had KFC in its birthland lately. Nor the localized variety here in a long time.

However, for Peck’s chicken steak I willingly and gleefully risk whatever you get from the washing the stuff off the gutter.[/quote]

I just remember I used to get the chicken pot pie and eat it with them biscuits.

I liked their buttermilk biscuits back in the States. When I first came to Taiwan, KFC had biscuits here…but they were different and had honey goop poured all over the outside of them. Still, it was a compromise and like a fool I got “used” to them. Then they went the way of so many things here…off the menu. A year later, back on the menu for a couple months…then off again. Drives me nuts when places here do that. Quit messing with your menus!!! ><

They did have a weird mashed potato imitation with some kind of dried out tomato sauce on it served in a tiny cup. That lasted about a year I think and is off the menu too.

News tweet fellas…

A restraunteur friend told me that KFC Taiwan is the only country franchise operation that is allowed to go entirely off menu. They don’t need to get corporate approval for any of their menu items!

Sick business practice. I hope this contract expires shortly because they should be rebranded TFC. :bow: