KFC in Taiwan

News tweet fellas…

A restraunteur friend told me that KFC Taiwan is the only country franchise operation that is allowed to go entirely off menu. They don’t need to get corporate approval for any of their menu items!

Sick business practice. I hope this contract expires shortly because they should be rebranded TFC. :bow:[/quote]

Okay, so I went to my local KFC the other day, and there’s a notice on the wall saying they decided to stop serving the original recipe chicken.

It’s not like they have run out of the “secret ingredients” or something - this is permanent.

Now there’s only generic pressure-fried chicken available … WTF?

That’s more than a day’s worth of sodium, in one sitting, just FYI. Two biscuits and one pot pie: 1150 calories, 61 g (!) fat (49 g saturated), 75 mg cholesterol and 3030 (!!!) g sodium. Eating like that will kill ya.

2 Likes

[quote=“monkey”]Okay, so I went to my local KFC the other day, and there’s a notice on the wall saying they decided to stop serving the original recipe chicken.

It’s not like they have run out of the “secret ingredients” or something - this is permanent.

Now there’s only generic pressure-fried chicken available … WTF?[/quote]
That’s probably a good thing. The original recipe was the only thing I ever enjoyed anyway, and those two times a year I ate it, I spent most of the afternoon regretting it. Plus I’m worried I’ll throttle the next KFC clerk that explains to others that I’m “怕辣” or whatever it is. No, I don’t want the original because I dislike spicy food, I want the original because it actually has some taste and the “spicy” is just … nothing.

I do wonder WTF is going on with the difference between my palate and what’s apparently popular in Taiwan, but I suppose I’ve wondered about that for a long time.

1 Like

Hey, they got that new flavor, though, Crispy Not Spicy, it’s awesome, almost tastes like friggin Popeye’s, man.

In the People’s Republic of Children you can only get the original recipe until 10pm or so. The 24 hour menu is spicy stuff only.

I tried that. Well, actually got it by mistake. I had wanted the Orig Recipe. The Crispy Not Spicy was horrible. No flavor. I’d not willingly eat it again, not that I go to KFC more than a couple of times a year anyway.

I didn’t like it either. It looked ok, but the chicken seemed to have no discernible taste.

I might as well have been eating cardboard.

The only flavor was a kind of “diesel” aftertaste from the oil it was cooked in.

:thumbsdown:

KFC is run by Jardins out of HKG, they also run Wellcom

Ha! All you newbies to Taiwan missed the good times at KFC. In the old,old days, before Costco, Watsons, Wellcome, Carrefour, Jason’s, and Breeze Center, there was KFC.

You could get Original Recipe, along with mashed potatoes and gravy, cole slaw, corn on the cob, AND a bottle of Budweiser beer. Only about 24 years ago! Nothing like that factory processed mashed potatoes and gravy! Sure, it was awful, but it was a genuine taste of American corporate factory food.

Like most good multinationals, KFC wised up and localized their menu.

1 Like

No! Not Budweiser.

That was when Uni-president had the franchise. They had Michelob on tap for a while. Very short while. Soon after that, KFC took the franchise back.

Edit: typo

[quote=“LPeterC”]No! Not Budweiser.

That was when Uni-president had the franchise. They had Nichelob on tap for a while. Very short while. Soon after that, KFC took the franchise back.[/quote]

Draft beer??? Michelob draft? Missed that. I would have been at KFC every night.

Is original recipe back? I think the KFC someone gave me was original recipe.

Still need chicken pot pies though.

You can easily exceed your daily sodium allowance drinking bottle water anyways.

The allowance is very strict and meager.

(edit: I’m exaggerating, but I’m just pointing out that the whole “daily allowance” on sodium is very easy to exceed, all without ever touching the salt shaker)

As far as I know, no.

I think KFC is owned by PepsiCo
The original Colonel Saunders sold it to them for about 20 million. He was actually from Kentucky too. It’s not bad in the really hot summers when you’ve been sweating out all that salt and feeling drained to go and get a KFC as a pick me up.

So due to circumstance, we were forced to get lunch at KFC a couple of days ago.
Their current special is these honey/柚子 karage type deals, and as much as it pains me to say it, they’re really :banana:ing good.
Like really :banana:ing good.
Plus, if you throw down an extra NT$15, you can upgrade your Pepsi to this grapefruit seltzer, which is even :banana:ing better.

Both are, obviously, for a limited time only, then it’s back to the same tired ass old anti-KFC bullshit.

4 Likes

i went to the kfc at beijing airport a little while ago and it was way better than here. i only do kfc outside of taiwan.

1 Like

I’m trying this tonight. I’m holding you personally responsible if it isn’t amazing.

1 Like

Tried it tonight, I liked it. Great recommendation!