Killer Birds of Taipei?

I expected to encounter strange bits when I moved to Taiwan… but this seems really bizarre.
I’ve been attacked by birds - twice - just in my first weeks here!

I hear flapping of wings behind me, then BAM! …whacked on the back of head. I assume it’s long tail feathers. Hard to tell, It happens so fast! It’s like getting slapped with a magazine. Not really painful, at least so far. But what is going on?

In Hong Kong, where I used to live, there were parks where Monkeys would jump on you if you weren’t careful. All the locals knew about it. Anything similar out here?

They’re up in the trees outside my apartment in the Neihu district. The birds look like something between a peacock and a pheasant, about 2-3ft long. I dunno, I’m not an ornithologist.

The first time it happened I thought it was weird. Maybe a 6’1" guy with a deep voice scared them. Maybe I was scolding my kids and they took it as a threat.

But second time, I started getting suspicious! I was by myself, not talking. I just looked up at them. But maybe they took it as a threat.

Only happened twice, but can’t be a coincidence! Never had this happen in my life. Has anybody heard of this?

I got hit by a bird once in Austin. Never happened to me before this. It’s surprising how much weight a bird has.

Just one of those blue magpies used my head as a springboard one day. It was pretty gentle in truth, didn’t hurt. Some dude across the street was laughing at me.

2-3 feet sounds pretty big.

1 Like

Perhaps some of these handsome fellows?

2 Likes

They only attack foreigners.

1 Like

They are protecting their nest during breeding season.

There are actually warning signs in some parts of the city:

Google Translation:

Blue door tight breeding season, please be careful

There are currently protected wild animals in this area - Taiwan blue magpies are nesting nearby. Since blue magpies breed from April to August every year, when blue magpie family members slap their heads and shoulders from the back of passers-by who pass by their breeding areas, the That means that the blue magpie is in the family of brooding and protecting the nest, so it will no longer use the old nest to reproduce, and it will not continue to drive passers-by in place. According to observation, the young bird will leave the nest in about another week.

When you find a nested Taiwan blue magpie chick, do not pick it up directly or send it to an animal rescue unit. You can place it on a nearby bush or tree trunk for observation. If the parent bird cannot bring it back to the nest, call 1999 Citizen The hotline notified the Animal Security Department to come to the rescue.

Protective measures

• Wear a hat
  • Umbrella

Prohibited behavior:

• No feeding
  • no catch
  • No interference

Animal Rescue Line: 02-87913064/87913065

2 Likes

This sounds like one of @mad_masala’s DVDs… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks guys! This must be it. I don’t remember the birds being blue, but the long tail feathers and attack from behind videos seem to match what happened to me. An odd welcome to Taipei indeed.

It’s an honor to be attacked by a blue magpie. I’m a bit jealous, to be honest.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen people swooped by magpies a few times in Taipei.

The preferred anti-magpie technology in Australia is ice-cream bucket.

The last few days I’ve been spared, so perhaps the worst is over.
Thanks for the tips. If you see a foreigner with an ice cream bucket on their head, you’ll know who was following your advice!

2 Likes

Just remember to remove the ice cream first

Chickens? Wild turkeys?

Anyways, I got attacked by seagulls once, and they stole my herring I tried to chuck into my mouth.

Common magpies will do it too