Kindergarten 101

Yo, I have multiple years experience other age groups, starting international kindergarten teaching this year.
Your best overall tips for teaching and role? Clothes, manners, pitfalls, teaching methods, parents, working hours etc
Thanks in advance.

Clothes and manners are a good start.

5 Likes

Deck shoes, cool pants and sticky up hair necessary?

Why don’t you know your working hours? Do you mean additional work?

I know my working hours

You need to remove that from the advice list.

I wouldn’t think so. Just make sure you wear clothes.

1 Like

Apparently setting boundaries and remembering that you’re an adult is an issue with kindergartens here.

You are a teacher, not a jungle gym. Children are never welcome to slap (even pretend slap) you or anyone else.

When having circle time, the well behaved children who raise their hands are welcome to talk and the children who dramatically seek attention (like break dancing or talking over others) need to be stopped immediately.(I feel the need to add: DO NOT say “oh wow” or applaud or in any way reward their behavior. They need to learn that attention is given to people who are respect of others. Interrupting a group so the attention can be on them, even for two seconds, says “it’s ok for me to interrupt everyone else because im more important than them”. You can say “I’m calling on people who sit nicely” or “sit respectfully” or “sit quietly please”, but do not ever give them the attention they are looking for when they interrupt you)

If this is one if those fake international “English” kindergartens, remember that those children do not yet speak their first language. You will have the rare exception where some kid is super eloquent, but they are the exception, not the rule. Children need you to model what they are trying to say. If they say “that” you can say “I think you are talking about the shoes on the floor. Do you want to put your shoes on?” Or whatever language they need. Don’t be an asshole and say things like “sorry I can’t understand you when you don’t speak English.” The reality is that usually, they literally do not have the language they need.

Never compare children or thank them for doing things they should be doing. “It’s nice to walk into a tidy space” goes much farther in the self-motivation front than “thank you for cleaning up your things”.

1 Like

thankyou nz