Kindergarten in Taiwan

Hello everyone! My family is moving to Taiwan next year from the US for a year, with the goal of spending time with family and language learning for my wife and toddler son. We plan on enrolling him in kindergarten for a whole school year.

My wife and I just toured a HESS facility and spoke with their representative, and liked the fact that they have a program with 40% English. We feel that this would provide a lot of buffer for our son, who will be entering the environment with close to no mandarin skills.

Hoping to hear from some of you regarding advice, experience with HESS/Kindergarten in general.

Thanks in advance!

id suggest to consider full Chinese kindy. your kid will learn fast and will have no choice but to use Chinese.
Mu son went at 3 years old woth zero chinese and started talking after about 8 weeks.

3 Likes

Izzy, did your family also stay in Taiwan short term? We also want to ensure our son maintains a certain level of English, since we will be moving back to the states after one year. Appreciate your feedback!

Chinese in kindy, English at home.

1 Like

Speaking isn’t a problem as long as you speak English at home. However make sure that you read a lot of books as reading and writing is the problem. (Even in schools like Hess)

I suggest a full Chinese school. Cheaper and better in the long run.

3 Likes

If you and your wife speak EN at home it wont be a problem.
what do you speak at home? if you dont speak Chinese at home, it will be lost eventually after you move to the USA.

Hi Izzy, is your toddler adapt fast with the Chinese Language? I have here my 3yr old daughter, will be enrolling next semester for kindergarten class.