King of Country

Is there any debate?
youtube.com/watch?v=hUuzrB_TGyk
I didn’t think so.

You just got to figure out who is number 2.
youtube.com/watch?v=NDoYsBAyFb0
It’s Merle.

Walks into a bar on a hot Arizona afternoon…
“What’ll ya have honey?”
“Just a draft…its hot…(looking at the small stage off to one sde)…ya’ll have music here?”
“Yeah Darlin…we do on most week-ends”.
“What kind?”
“Why Honey…we got both kinds…Country…and Western!”

He Stopped Loving Her today

George Jones short interview and The Race is On

You on a mission from God?

…gotta save the Penguin.

Johnny Cash.
Discussion over.

[quote=“Josefus”]Johnny Cash.
Discussion over.[/quote]
I’m not going to argue, but this isn’t in the Youtube forum for no reason…

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“Josefus”]Johnny Cash.
Discussion over.[/quote]
I’m not going to argue, but this isn’t in the Youtube forum for no reason…[/quote]

youtube.com/watch?v=mQkFxfyHgMk

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“Josefus”]Johnny Cash.
Discussion over.[/quote]
I’m not going to argue, but this isn’t in the Youtube forum for no reason…[/quote]

youtube.com/watch?v=mQkFxfyHgMk[/quote]
This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions
But you’ve got the right idea.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“Josefus”]Johnny Cash.
Discussion over.[/quote]

Fine.

The Beginning> youtube.com/watch?v=wEV58ztu … re=related
This one shows his potential. Very clean 50s-ish. He didn’t quite have his snarl at this point.

The Middle> youtube.com/watch?v=1zgja26eNeY
San Quentin in San Quentin. He’s got the attitude and his swagger. The peak. Look at the faces of those prisoners. For some of them, that was the best moment of their lives. Someone that came into prison and showed them love. I swear you can see Jesus in there.

The End> youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ … re=related
Yes, it’s a cover, but Cash takes it to places Trent Reznor could never dream of. I still get chills every time I watch it.

Thanks. I like the San Quentin one.
And George Jones can sang like no one else.
I got a new program that can record Youtubes and change them into MP3s.

Johnny vs. Merle. I’m gonna side with Merle. Nothing Johnny wrote moves me like “Mama Tried” or “Sing Me Back Home” or “If We Make It Through December” or “Mama’s Hungry Eyes” or “Walking the Streets of Chicago”.

But you can have both for the price of one. A historic 1969 summit meeting between two giants at the height of their powers:

youtube.com/watch?v=RdXF6nn5yaQ

[quote=“Quentin”]Johnny vs. Merle. I’m gonna side with Merle. Nothing Johnny wrote moves me like “Mama Tried” or “Sing Me Back Home” or “If We Make It Through December” or “Mama’s Hungry Eyes” or “Walking the Streets of Chicago”.

But you can have both for the price of one. A historic 1969 summit meeting between two giants at the height of their powers:

youtube.com/watch?v=RdXF6nn5yaQ[/quote]
The story that Merle tells is that he’s talking to Johnny and says that he was at the concert in San Quentin (That’s your name!) and Johnny says that he doesn’t remember him being in the band, but Merle says, “I was in the audience.”

I have developed some respect for Dwight Yoakam ever since he was in those Crank movies. My favorite is Two Doors Down.

This is the greatest country song of all time. As well as the nastiest, meanest, most vicious, homicidal, and depressing. The Cold Hard Facts of Life:

youtube.com/watch?v=pl4yjGzWOvI

“I guess I’ll go to hell / Or I’ll rob you in this cell / But who taught who the cold hard facts of life?”

OJ Simpson’s favorite country song.

There is no King. To even suggest so, reeks of rock and roll.
True Old Time Country is a collective effort, as truly exemplified by the immortal recordings of J.Cash, M.Haggard, H.Williams, Sr., C. Pride, P.Cline, W.Nelson, & etc.
& not to mention my personal favorite:
George Jones.
Nothing like his poor drunk boy blues…

Hank Sr is the king, yeah probably. By the way, the country music choices at youtube aren’t worth a shit. I’d have posted videos by the Stanley Brothers, Dale Watson, and about half of Texas and southeastern US if I could find 'em. That said, I wouldn’t short California or Oregon either. There are also a lot of young “southern rock” guys I really like. One guy I wish was a hundredth ambitious as he is talented is Mike Cooley. He writes and plays for the Drive By Truckers, a “southern rock” band out of Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Everything Cooley writes is gold, imo. Here’s a crappy youtube example.

Who’s the queen of country?

My vote would be an untraditional one for Iris Dement, followed very closely by Alison Krauss. Martina McBride grew up not far from me in Medicine Lodge, Kansas. I can’t help but like her. And I heard the Dixie Chicks play at a block party in Wichita, Kansas, in the early 1990s when they were a bluegrass quintet not a Big Nashville quartet. There are always votes for Patsy Cline and one or more of the Carter sisters, all more traditional choices than mine. I also like Gretchen Wilson a lot. And Emmy Lou Harris. Lucinda Williams.

One other thing about country music. It’s best enjoyed live, in a rowdy crowded honky tonk. Preferably a blue-collar honky tonk with a dusted dance floor. The band has to have a good steel lap guitar player. A good fiddle player is a welcome bonus.

You just can’t beat good live country music heard in a good honky tonk on a Friday or Saturday night.

It would also be nice to name come country singers that had good CD’s out the last 5~10 years.
Yes, Emmylou Harris and Lucinda Williams did. But, who else ?
Buddy & Julie Miller ? Fred Eaglesmith ? Greg Brown ? Phil Cody ? Patty Griffin ? Jimmy LaFave ?
Whiskeytown ?

[quote=“It is me again”]It would also be nice to name come country singers that had good CD’s out the last 5~10 years.
Buddy & Julie Miller ? Fred Eaglesmith ? Greg Brown ? Phil Cody ? Patty Griffin ? Jimmy LaFave ?
Whiskeytown ?[/quote]
I like the Millers, but I’m not sure of the others.

One recent CD I can recommend is Hayes Carll’s Trouble in Mind. For my money, She Left Me for Jesus is one of the best, and funniest, recent country songs.

[quote=“It is me again”]It would also be nice to name come country singers that had good CD’s out the last 5~10 years.
Whiskeytown ?[/quote]
Put up some Youtubes why don’t you?

youtube.com/watch?v=3JTQ269Ron4 (Fred Eaglesmith)

youtube.com/watch?v=cTdX76jeR44 (Greg Brown)

youtube.com/watch?v=e88nIUY4vhU (Phil Cody)

youtube.com/watch?v=K5XyFdyRQm8 (Jimmy LaFave)

youtube.com/watch?v=pFbjE7NFmUI (Patty Griffin)

youtube.com/watch?v=3JTQ269Ron4 (Fred Eaglesmith)

youtube.com/watch?v=cTdX76jeR44 (Greg Brown)

youtube.com/watch?v=e88nIUY4vhU (Phil Cody)

youtube.com/watch?v=K5XyFdyRQm8 (Jimmy LaFave)

youtube.com/watch?v=pFbjE7NFmUI (Patty Griffin)[/quote]
Thank you very much!