Kinmen booze

Anyone tried this stuff? I’m interested in getting smoe but it just looks foul!

Can cocktails be made from it? Isn’t it like 58% proof or something crazy? :astonished:

Kaoliang? Sure, too many times. Foul, yes, but in a good way. Burns going down. I would never buy the stuff, but i’ve had a partial bottle in my house for several years since it was given to me at the close of a weiya. Incidentally, it’s ordinarily drunken from thimble-sized shot glasses, and not voluntarily but only because the boss/coworker across the table has forced you to drink it.

You’ll belch that awful taste up all the next day.

Cocktails? Gawd, imagine! There’s nothing that’s going to hide that taste.

HG

That stuff is evil. Use as a disinfectant only.

it’s a lot better–wait less awful–cut liberally with water.

water eh? What about…say, lime juice and soda?

kkl.gov.tw/english/taste_2.asp
the ‘night attack’ sounds promising.

yamamato, I’ve tried mixing it with orange juice or lemonaide and it still tastes like hell. Better to down it in shots. One drinks it to get drunk and not for the taste. One doesn’t savor it.

On the subject of crazy hotel company party alcohols, I was recently invited to a fancy company dinner, where we drank what was described as “frog alcohol,” where the “fresh water meets the saltwater”, in their loose, drunken translations from the Chinese. Unlike kaoliang, I liked this stuff. It’s also very strong, but is brown-colored and has a strong herbal flavor maybe like anise (?) or some other herb. Anyway, I asked where one can buy it, they replied that one can’t, that it’s made for the hotel, so they gave me the bottle. I’m now sitting at home drinking it, getting a nice buzz. Anyone have any idea what it is (the writing’s all in Chinese)?

Yep, did that once during lunch with the customer, was spitting blood for two days (literally). Stupid me since I was given the choice between piss (Taiwan beer) and Kaoliang, and selected the latter. Never again.

Maotai is worse. :laughing: That taste just keeps coming back until it turns into a vicious cycle of belch-dry heave-belch-dry heave, …

It’s probably got something to do with that glass eye in the cup!

Still there is something to be said for the immediacy of Chinese spirits. I was once in transit in Ho Chi Minh airport for 12 hours. After one hour my arse hurt from the crap seats and I was bored shitless by the good news, I presume, on Viet commie telly, so I tucked into some valium I had and washed it down with a quick guzzle of Kaoliang my then brother in law had packed me off with. I woke up at the last boarding call 11 hours later with a thick head and the taste of the demon.

HG

valium and booze huh?

That’s a Cheap night out.