🦁 Kinmen | Travel to Kinmen

Actually, they made an app too…

I wore more clothes all the time (indoors or out) when I lived in Kinmen than I would just going outside to walk to classes in college (when there was a straight month that the temperature never went over negative 20 degrees). Kinmen’s winters SUCK. They’re cold, they’re windy, they’re humid, and there are no buildings on the island that were built with any consideration for the climate. Make sure that whatever clothes you have, they are fast drying. Wool socks on the feet, “tech” everything else. If you want to look stylish for your photos, at least wear moisture-wicking inner layers. I will say though, there is a period in the afternoon (when the sun is out) that it gets very nice and warm. So that was always something to enjoy before needing to cuddle up with the cat and the space heater in the evening as a matter of survival.

3 Likes

FYI

In response to rising COVID-19 cases in China, effective Jan. 1, 2023, testing measures for travelers from China to be strengthened; such travelers should undergo 7-day period of self-initiated prevention and take rapid tests after entry

PublishTime:2022-12-28 On December 28, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced that, in response to the rising cases in China and to detect high-risk variants in a timely manner, passengers arriving in Taiwan from four Chinese airports on direct cross-strait flights and those coming to Taiwan through the special travel arrangement for the residents of Kinmen and Matsu counties during the Lunar New Year holiday will be required to undergo a saliva-based PCR test at the airport (or port) of entry, starting from January 1 to January 31, 2023 (incoming flight’s scheduled arrival time). The current policy of suspending the entry of Chinese tourists remains. After undergoing a PCR test at the airport, such travelers should go to their place of accommodation to undergo a seven-day period of self-initiated prevention and take COVID-19 tests during that period. Passengers who test positive should follow the 5+n home care policy and practice self-health management. Samples from people positive for COVID-19 will be sent to the Kunyang Laboratory of Taiwan CDC for virus genome sequencing.

So I have to go through quarantine because I’m going somewhere that’s part of the same country? Or just the saliva test?

Not sure exactly what they mean, travelers from China who come through Kinmen?

You’ll find out at the airport.

Those are the people that use 小三通 to travel to Taiwan from China. It is not applicable to the OP.

There is so little that makes sense about anything that anyone is posting.

First of all, I don’t think that 小三通 is even open right now. If you go to 小三通 — 航班表 | 交通部航港局 to check the schedule, it doesn’t let you use the drop down. If you go to the schedule table download, the last thing available to download says “兩岸小三通客運固定航線自109年2月10日起暫停營運” (basically, “services suspended starting on 2/10/2020”). If they’ve resumed service, you’d think the website would say so (no guarantees in Taiwan, of course…). But I have no idea how Chinese tourists are getting into Kinmen, assuming service is still suspended.

Looks like the government is just being REALLY stupid. If there aren’t any boats currently going between China and the outlying islands, there aren’t going to be any people getting to the main island of Taiwan from the PRC through the outlying islands. In that case, why would people in Kinmen and Matsu be any different from every other person in Taiwan? Also, didn’t the CCP government block all citizens from going to the main island of Taiwan starting in late 2019?? How did this become about the Taiwanese government blocking them?

小三通 is open since yesterday but only for Chinese spouses of ROC citizens and people who have hukou in Kinmen or Matsu.

Cool. The news updated changes to the schedule before the Maritime and Port Bureau, aka the people running the whole operation

I arrived in Kinmen, I don’t know what people on the internet are talking about, it’s not that cold. I wore short sleeves.

The temperature is like 18 there right now, of course it’s not cold. You happened to go during an unseasonably warm time.

What kills you in Kinmen is the wind.

1 Like

Everyone on the flight from Taipei was wearing jackets.

or the Kaoliang

3 Likes

I was in Jinning today and I took some pics and a video of mainland China. The quality was much lower than I expected.

The broadcast tower was interesting. It played a Teresa Teng song, then played a recording of Teresa Teng sending a message to her “mainland friends.” I don’t remember what exactly the contents of the message were, but it had something to do with freedom.

There were also a lot of cow farms nearby.

For your enjoyment; https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/podcast-beishan-broadcast-wall

Did you check the pollution levels? As i said above, it’s not uncommon to not be able to see China at all when the pollution is bad. And if it’s rainy today, then yeah, your view isn’t going to be great either.

1 Like

Please refer to the correct pronunciation of Kinmen without relying on phonics. I use 注音符號, but any reliable transcription will be similar to Jīnmén. Anything with a hard /k/ and “short” e /ɛ/ are totally cringe-worthy and seem to suggest the traveler pointed to somewhere on a map instead of speaking the proper place name. This is based on experience and intended to help more than critique.

“Kinmen” is the official spelling, for whatever reason, so there is nothing wrong using it.

There are countless official place names around the world that don’t seem to fit the pronunciation. Like Arkansas. Should we use Arkansaw?

2 Likes

I think KongTaigi was referring to the OP’s pronunciation on his video. Since the OP appears to be a resident and not a short-term casual tourist, I imagine he’d want to know the correct pronunciation.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t watch the video… :sunglasses:

Why?

Is there an unknown happening retirement community or something?